Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What should I test, Bike went dark - New Battery 19 May 2017 08:13 #762207

• idkrash
  • idkrash's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My 1985 ZX750 GPz has been sitting for a few years. I replaced the dead starter motor and did some other prep on the bike. I got a new Duracell Ultra - duragm 15l battery. When I turned the key I got nothing, then I wiggled it and everything came on. I hit the starter button and heard it just start to purr. A moment later all the lights went out and the engine stopped turning over.

All the fuses are fine. I filed the connectors at the battery and they read 17 volts just like the battery terminals. I will be testing the main relay today. I have the ignition switch taken apart and cleaned. It will get new electrical grease, get reassembles and reinstalled. What else would make the whole electrical system unresponsive to a fresh slightly hot battery?

Also this battery is putting out 17 volts, it is a 12 volt battery. I expect it will settle down after a while.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What should I test, Bike went dark - New Battery 19 May 2017 09:16 #762213

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

idkrash wrote: ...........................Also this battery is putting out 17 volts, it is a 12 volt battery. I expect it will settle down after a while.

No 12 volt battery should be putting out 17 volts. I suggest you get a proper battery and start testing the bike's electrical system, wiring, etc. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

What should I test, Bike went dark - New Battery 19 May 2017 09:42 #762218

• idkrash
  • User
I took it back to batteries plus. It reads 12.58v on their meter. My meter is high. I'm going to check current to the ignition switch and the main relay.

There is no power to the starter switch. All 3 relays are bad. There is power to the Starter Relay. I hope I can find some relays.

Should I still get power at the White battery wire to the ignition switch even with bad relays?

Last edit: by idkrash.

What should I test, Bike went dark - New Battery 20 May 2017 11:53 #762303

• idkrash
  • User
Ha, I'm laughing at me. When I dropped the battery in I partially detached a White and red power line that went to the junction box. It shook loose when I first started the bike. The relays are fine. She ran for 10 minutes at about 2k rpms, and restarted easy. She won't Idle just yet, but I got her on my insurance and I'm going to get tabs. It sure is nice to have a nice clean ignition switch.

• Page: