Please help wiring

More
09 Mar 2017 06:44 #756232 by Jkuzke32
Please help wiring was created by Jkuzke32
I have an 81 kz550 ltd. I'ts a my bobber project. It ran fine before I started two days ago. So we stripped the bike down did some mods to the gram and everything. Now I'm trying to get the thing all wired up. I have it wired from a bare bones schematic, and yet, no spark. I am completely stumped here. There are two wires that come out by the stator plug, nuetral switch and oil pressure switch, do they need to go to anything?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2017 06:52 - 09 Mar 2017 06:57 #756234 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Please help wiring
Neutral and oil pressure wires don't need to be hooked up to run, unless you have a kickstand switch hooked up. In that case neutral ( light green?) needs to go to ground.
I'm not sure your bike had a kickstand switch. It appears not.

Can you post the diagram you are using?
Last edit: 09 Mar 2017 06:57 by loudhvx.

More
09 Mar 2017 07:34 #756238 by Jkuzke32
Replied by Jkuzke32 on topic Please help wiring
This is the one it's wired to now
Attachments:

More
09 Mar 2017 08:10 #756240 by Jkuzke32
This is a diagram I drew up, of exactly how i have it wired.
Attachments:

More
09 Mar 2017 10:57 #756247 by davido
Replied by davido on topic Please help wiring
Is/was there a clutch switch on your bike? If so, you might need to reconnect (or bridge) that. Should be 2 black wires coming out of the loom,up to the clutch lever.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
09 Mar 2017 11:47 #756254 by Jkuzke32
No it is not. Nothing on the controls are hooked up. I'm trying to go as simple as possible here to get spark, then I can run the wires and add the necessary wiring for lights and what not

More
10 Mar 2017 13:21 - 10 Mar 2017 13:23 #756341 by loudhvx
Your drawing is not correct/complete, at least from what I can make out.

You have no ground on the regulator.
You have no power to the ignition or the coils.
You have the three yellow wires tied to brown and black/yellow. That is not right at all. The yellows are AC, while brown and black/yellow are DC. But you don't have the brown hooked up to anything anyway, and black/yellow is just a ground wire.
There is no way for the alternator to provide power to the battery or the ignition, and there is no way for the battery to provide power to the ignition or regulator.

Just follow the printed drawing you have. It does not require neutral or oil pressure wires.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2017 13:23 by loudhvx.

More
10 Mar 2017 13:25 #756342 by loudhvx
Here is a readable version of the diagram to work from.
Attachments:

More
10 Mar 2017 13:33 #756343 by Jkuzke32
The two spots where the wires show they are tied together are in the factory clips, they aren't just all together

More
10 Mar 2017 13:54 - 10 Mar 2017 14:00 #756346 by loudhvx
Lets just start with the bare essential to get it to run temporarily.
This does not include any of the charging system.

You can see the coils get power through the top wire which gets power from the on/off switch, which gets power from the fuse, which gets power from the battery cable at the starter solenoid.

You can see the igniter gets power from the yel/red wire which gets power from the top wire (just like the coils do).
The igniter is grounded through the black/yellow wire. The small wires of the igniter go to the timing/pickup plate.

The coil portion of the solenoid (relay) gets power from the start button which gets power from the top wire (like the ignition coils and igniter). The solenoid coil gets ground through the black wire.

The battery's negative terminal gets a big ground cable to an engine bolt. That bolt should also get a small wire which will be the main ground wire for the rest of the bike. That's why there is a small wire attached to the big ground icon going to the battery. The main ground wire will usually also have a branch that goes to a bolt on the frame, but it doesn't really have to for a minimal wiring.

I do it that way so the battery just gets two big cables, nice and neat, instead of two cables plus a bunch of small wires going every which way.

That main ground wire goes to the solenoid and igniter. The ignition coils will get their ground through the black and green wires going to the igniter.

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Mar 2017 14:00 by loudhvx.