Rebuilt starter worked... then stopped.

More
05 Mar 2017 12:52 - 05 Mar 2017 14:00 #755851 by CPLSeraphim
Rebuilt starter worked... then stopped. was created by CPLSeraphim
The starter relay is just clicking. I just rebuilt the starter, and it was turning over just fine... then it stopped. I thought maybe it was wiring since I just put in the coil, but I found nothing. I think it stopped before I switched the coil anyhow. So, I hear the starter relay clicking, and when I touch the starter, the back end, it gets warm when I am trying to start it... Does anyone have any suggestions, or am I going to have to rebuild the starter... again?

(When I rebuilt the starter, one of the magnets, N or S, was loose. I glued it into place, and I used a ground down nail as the little pin to hold the top aligned)

BTW: Is there supposed to be a plastic isolator thing around where the 2 brushes connect to the external bolt? I just had that little blaxk plastic piece that goes right where the bolt comes out, but I see videos of lots of people having a full circle piece of plastic there, and am wondering if, all of the sudden, I am grounding out...

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~Robert Frost
Last edit: 05 Mar 2017 14:00 by CPLSeraphim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2017 09:00 #755918 by CPLSeraphim
Replied by CPLSeraphim on topic Rebuilt starter worked... then stopped.
Ok, so when I have the positive on the starters bolt, and the black on the body of the starter, and I try to start it, my voltage drops down to 5 V... Same reading I get on my battery when I hit the start...

My voltage on the starter solenoid goes from normal to like .25 V when start button pressed...

I am assuming that, by the battery and starter dropping to 5 V, the battery is bad? But that is a brand new battery...

~Robert Frost

More
07 Mar 2017 21:12 #756131 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Rebuilt starter worked... then stopped.
Or something is very nearly shorted. Is there smoke and a lot of heat coming out when you try to start? If not, then yes, maybe bad battery. I've had a cheap lead acid die in 31 days. Warranty was for 30, naturally.

More
08 Mar 2017 04:24 #756148 by CPLSeraphim
Replied by CPLSeraphim on topic Rebuilt starter worked... then stopped.
I found the problem, although, from what I understand, it isn't an everyday issue. One of my magnets inside my starter broke into a bunch of pieces...

~Robert Frost
Attachments: