Couple Questions Regarding Igniter/Ignition/R/R

More
22 Feb 2017 20:28 #754933 by Atlamillias
Hello everyone. I'm rewiring my bike by hand in an attempt to learn more about it (1982 KZ750m CSR). When i bought it, it had the original wiring harness, but it was in terrible shape due to the use of a "wet" battery. Wiring switches and lights, horn, no big deal. Can do that all day. However, I'm having a bit of trouble with the above..."stuff".

My bike model shares a wiring diagram with a sister bike, and the colors dont represent what i actually have (doesnt help that the paper is 35 years old i guess, but I'm trying to teach myself). The ignition has 6 wires, but the original wiring harness only connects to four; red, white, yellow, and red-blue, with a brown wire split off from the connector. I have no idea which wires go where. It's bundled super well also, so further inspection would be an asking invitation for someone to hotwire my ride...

The CDI unit that i have has 5 wires; black, green, blue, yellow-red and yellow-blue. The stripped wires color match the two wires from the coil, and the killswitch/start button also has a yellow-red wire. I'm assuming that the yellow-red coil wire goes to the main power, while the yellow-blue goes to the CDI unit. The yellow-red wire from the CDI wires to the killswitch/start button? And i can only assume the black CDI goes to ground. But there are still two other wires unconnected from the CDI - a blue and green wire. On the left side of my bike, where the stator and starter motor wires are, there are two other wires which are green and red-blue. There is an identical wire in the ignition connector, and if i was going by colors alone (which at this point dont really mean shit) i *could* connect the green wire out of the engine side to the CDI unit. But even if that were correct, there's still a free wire from the CDI.

Lastly, about the R/R. Now, i have two; one a friend gave me, and one that was on the bike when i got it. The old one has two yellow wires, and a black wire in 1 connector, and a white-red wire by itself. I assume that if i were to use this one (the old one), the two yellows from the stator and R/R connect, and black is grounded, with white-red to the battery (or main power). This *new* one though that was given to me. has 3 yellow wires, a brown and black wire in a single connector, with a white wire aside. Am i correct in the above wiring? And is this newer R/R unit function with my bike, and if so, how would i wire it...?

Thanks guys. appreciate the help!

- Anthony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2017 01:45 #754940 by Patton
If needed, here's a link to where a wiring diagram can be downloaded from the FILEBASE.

Click here > www.kzrider.com/filebase/download/79-kz7...z750m1wiringdiag0002

For comparison, a wiring diagram for the sister bike might also be in the FILEBASE.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Atlamillias

More
23 Feb 2017 05:07 - 23 Feb 2017 05:22 #754946 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Couple Questions Regarding Igniter/Ignition/R/R
Reg-rec. I believe the 750-CSR has a single phase alternator, so the reg-rec with the 3 yellow wires won't work as it's for a 3-phase alternator.

From the wiring diagram patton linked, the stock reg-rec should have 5 wires: 2 yellow, black, red-white & brown. If it doesn't have the brown wire, it may be an aftermarket unit as some of those don't need the brown sensor wire. Electrosport sells a new unit without the brown wire (the internal circuitry senses the voltage). I guess check to make sure someone didn't cut off the brown wire.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2017 05:22 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
23 Feb 2017 05:46 #754949 by Atlamillias
Replied by Atlamillias on topic Couple Questions Regarding Igniter/Ignition/R/R
I was mistaken and you're correct - it does have 5 wires. Sorry, was going off memory.

More
23 Feb 2017 05:51 - 23 Feb 2017 06:01 #754952 by Atlamillias
This helps a literal fuckton. Thank you! The monotone-esque vibe one recieves from communicating non-verbal conversations cannot describe how truly ecstatic this made me.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2017 06:01 by Atlamillias.

More
23 Feb 2017 06:21 - 23 Feb 2017 06:53 #754959 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Couple Questions Regarding Igniter/Ignition/R/R
Did you figure out the ignition switch?

From the wiring diagram, a couple of the ign switch wires aren't used & the wiring harness 6-pin connector only has 4 wires routed thru it.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2017 06:53 by martin_csr.

More
23 Feb 2017 07:41 #754967 by Atlamillias
Yeah I think it was orange and green; and yes the 6-pin connector on the wire harness' side only connected to 4 of the 6 wires from the ignition.

Now that I have a proper wiring diagram, doing this should be immensely easier. Google has withheld this from me for months - always giving me the KZ750 b1 model.