Regulator/Rectifier info..

More
06 Oct 2016 07:10 - 06 Oct 2016 07:10 #744584 by Hamman
Regulator/Rectifier info.. was created by Hamman
Hey guys, working on my 1981 Kz750ltd. I installed a Motogadget M-unit and wired everything up nice and sound. One problem, I blew out a brand new battery. Pretty sure the system overcharged it. Got a new battery and went ahead and replaced all my charging system parts too as the stator was kinda rusty and gross. While I am waiting on a new Rectifier, I noticed on the diagram the "Brown" wire coming off of the rectifier. On my old setup, I left it unplugged, as it seems it is just an accessory wire. Goes to the cluster, brake switches, etc....I know the black/yellow is ground and the red/white coming off goes to the starter relay...Do you think not having this brown wire hooked up is my issue? It seemed to be charging. But don't want to blow ANOTHER battery. Thanks guys

1981 KZ750LTD H2
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 07:10 by Hamman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2016 07:18 #744586 by Hamman
Replied by Hamman on topic Regulator/Rectifier info..
Seems I may have answered my own question here with this thread:
kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/545198-81...l=component&type=raw

I didn't realize it went through the entire ign. system as well AND acted as the RR sensing wire. Looks like it needs to be spliced into a section of the M-unit that consistently see's battery V's.

1981 KZ750LTD H2

More
06 Oct 2016 08:07 - 06 Oct 2016 08:09 #744594 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Regulator/Rectifier info..
Yes, the brown wire is what the regulator uses as a reference to regulate the battery voltage. Some regulators use their output wire as the reference, so those don't need a connection to the brown wire. (The reason they use the brown wire, and not the output wire, is some detection circuits may use a little power, and that would drain the battery while parked over a long period.)

The brown wire has battery voltage on it when the ignition switch is turned on. It has no voltage on it when the ignition switch is off. So any voltage source that acts the same as that should be ok to use.

One other issue that comes up from time to time...
If the fuses are dirty or there are bad/dirty connections in the path to provide voltage to the sensing wire of the regulator, the voltage on the brown wire can be reduced. This will make the regulator compensate by making the voltage higher to the battery. In the long run, this can overcharge a battery as well. So it is important to have good/clean/dry connections throughout the system.

I avoid dielectric grease as that can wick into some connections and act as an insulator, causing the exact problem it is trying to prevent.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 08:09 by loudhvx.

More
06 Oct 2016 08:32 #744597 by Hamman
Replied by Hamman on topic Regulator/Rectifier info..
Cool, thanks for the info! There is a 12v power in on the MotoGadget that I'll tap into that. Think should be ok.

1981 KZ750LTD H2

More
07 Oct 2016 17:44 #744719 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Regulator/Rectifier info..
Why don't you get a more modern R/R that self senses and doesn't have that wire? The Shendengen SH775 is great series type regulator and the FH series are MOSFETs that self regulate.

The Series type charge great at higher rpm without sending excess voltage back to the stator. The MOSFETs charge better at lower rpm and respond faster to demand.

I put a SH775 in my 750 and a FH012 in my 1100.

More
03 May 2017 10:13 #761068 by slc-kz
Replied by slc-kz on topic Regulator/Rectifier info..
Since you modified the same build as me maybe you can answer a separate question for me. In the case of wiring everything up did you only run the key on position to the lock input? I'm trying to resolve a separate M-unit issue where when increasing revs my m-unit seems to be cycling power to either the starter button or a blinker like it's trying to dissipate power from overcharging. I upgraded the reg/rec to a newer unit off of Z1 Enterprises that doesn't include the brown wire. Everything was operating correctly until I wired up a gauge now this issue is occurring. Do you happen to have a wiring diagram you used successfully?