Failing coil/s

More
28 Aug 2016 01:47 #740209 by JoHNY
Failing coil/s was created by JoHNY
Starts and idles okay......not brilliant. Soon as it gets hot it misfires and splutters but picks up intermittently. Plugs are the recommended grade but I could try a hotter plug as it is running a wee bit rich?

Kawasaki Z750P7 Spectre, Triumph Daytona 955i, Honda CBR1000FN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
28 Aug 2016 03:25 #740210 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic Failing coil/s
Going to hotter plugs is masking the problem, have you check compressions? It might be caused by a valve issue. Have you got more details about how this problem occurred, suddenly, after a drag etc.

What makes you think its the coils? or spark for that matter, is the voltage correct at coil input (battery voltage), how old are the spark plugs (what colour are they on the electrode) currently in the engine etc. Please give more details.

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
29 Aug 2016 13:35 - 29 Aug 2016 13:52 #740407 by JoHNY
Replied by JoHNY on topic Failing coil/s
Did a compression test and all is okay. It's definitely an electrical issue because when I rebuilt the engine I did all the top end work that was needed. I've had the carbs off numerous times and fuel wise it's fine.

It's really strange because every now and again it seems to be firing on just three cylinders, usually 1 or 2 seem to stop. But only one goes at a time. Funny thing is if I pull the cap from the plug whilst it's running and hold it 1/2" above the plug it suddenly picks up and all 4 fire. It has nearly new BR8ES plugs and new caps, very strange problem?

Last edit: 29 Aug 2016 13:52 by JoHNY.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Aug 2016 14:02 #740410 by SWest

More
29 Aug 2016 20:39 - 29 Aug 2016 20:42 #740462 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Failing coil/s

JoHNY wrote: Did a compression test and all is okay. It's definitely an electrical issue because when I rebuilt the engine I did all the top end work that was needed. I've had the carbs off numerous times and fuel wise it's fine.

It's really strange because every now and again it seems to be firing on just three cylinders, usually 1 or 2 seem to stop. But only one goes at a time. Funny thing is if I pull the cap from the plug whilst it's running and hold it 1/2" above the plug it suddenly picks up and all 4 fire. It has nearly new BR8ES plugs and new caps, very strange problem?

Would double-check valve clearances, which can be too tight regardless of good compression test results.

With the R spark plugs, hopefully the new caps are zero resistance and the plug wires are solid core (non-resistant), because otherwise there's too much resistance in the secondary loop resulting in weakened spark.

Old worn hard cracked spark plug wires can also cause the reported condition.

Rich running can also be caused by too high fuel levels. If not already done, would perform clear tube tests.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Aug 2016 20:42 by Patton.

More
03 Sep 2016 01:49 #740964 by JoHNY
Replied by JoHNY on topic Failing coil/s
Update

Bought new coils, HT leads and hotter plugs. Issue sorted, running sweet as