Very weird new ignition coil problem

More
13 Aug 2016 05:58 #738483 by shamal
Very weird new ignition coil problem was created by shamal
I rebuild my engine, and i bought two new ignition coils on eBay (id or di i dont recall the brand) engine is running awrsome. after just 800 miles , this morning i wanted to start the bike and the engine was running only on cylinder 1 and 4.
I took the tank off , the 2 and 3 coil is shot.
My multimeter read infinity on the primary, low voltage side.
I had to connect my old coil and the engine is running perfect again. Plenty of torque and smooth.
My question is: what can cause a new coil to break only after 800 miles? :blink:
It was a factory problem of the coil itself or i should search something else? Can a low voltage connection (maybe a bit loose) cause that?
Thank you, happy summer!

1983 kz 550 h

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2016 06:14 #738484 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Very weird new ignition coil problem
Is the phrase "MADE IN CHINA" somewhere on the coil? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
13 Aug 2016 06:40 #738489 by shamal
Replied by shamal on topic Very weird new ignition coil problem
Hahaha i really dont know. But i think those coils are Not made in china. I cant find the link..

1983 kz 550 h

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Aug 2016 07:27 #738502 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Very weird new ignition coil problem
They don't always say that. Even new good coils can fail. What's the return policy? If none, I don't buy.
Steve

More
13 Aug 2016 10:16 #738527 by shamal
Replied by shamal on topic Very weird new ignition coil problem
Im now worried for the other coil.. I hate driving with those suspence XD
Are tourmax coil good? I was thinking about But them

1983 kz 550 h

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Aug 2016 18:04 #738579 by SWest
I don't blame you. I've had good luck with used KZ coils. I have three sets as spares but I bought a pair of used Dyna coils in good condition. I paid about 1/2 price and if one goes bad, I know where to get a new one.
It's not that I'm cheap, it's that money isn't flowing like it did when I was still working full time. Semi Retired. :whistle:
Steve

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
13 Aug 2016 23:17 #738603 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Very weird new ignition coil problem
If you have a Dyna S ignition, you shouldn't leave the ignition on for more than a few minutes without the engine running, or the coils and the Dyna itself could be damaged from heat build up. If your new coils aren't the correct resistance for your ignition, again, they could be damaged from overheating.

Sometimes you just get a defective part. I had a coil that would cut out after about 30 minutes of running time. After it cooled down, it would fire again....it only measured 0.1 ohm out of spec when I checked it....

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
14 Aug 2016 06:15 #738612 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Very weird new ignition coil problem
I bought a pair of coils on eBay too for my 650 restoration and discovered the exact same thing as you - coil pack for 2&3 goes dead.
It happens in under 5 minutes (of non-continuous use of course, I've never gotten the bike to run yet).
It measures out close to but not exactly what the advert says it should (ie: I get 5 ohm, not 4 ohm readings but they are consistent with each other).
Basic problem of DOA, new part still remains an issue tho. I contacted the seller who eventually responded and told me this has never happened before. I can send it back (at my expense) and he will replace it.

This is the eBay item I bought:
[ Looks Stock(ish) but clearly NOT ]

One of the steepest learning curves with these old bikes has nothing to do with the bike itself but learning how to be a better online shopper (which I have failed multiple times now :unsure: )

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Aug 2016 06:51 #738617 by SWest
If you have a classic anything, there are going to be those that try to sell you junk. Chinese knock off's whatever. Even well known and respected sellers can get faulty equipment. (Speedo's come to mind) It's their return policy I look at first. If they won't exchange or refund within a year, I don't buy. eBay is different. You have much less time unless the item comes with it's own return policy. The term "buyer beware" applies in any case. :dry:
Steve

More
14 Aug 2016 09:21 #738624 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Very weird new ignition coil problem
The three-word warranty is usually found in an obvious location on the product...easily understood by many who read it, and can sometimes be easily peeled off if you wish.
On top of that, labor costs will not be covered. :kiss:

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
14 Aug 2016 12:25 #738631 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Very weird new ignition coil problem
Do coils have correct resistance for whatever ignition is fitted?
Higher resistance is usually okay, but lower than specified resistance for the particular ignition at hand could result in coil failure.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
14 Aug 2016 18:05 #738682 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Very weird new ignition coil problem

shamal wrote: I rebuild my engine, and i bought two new ignition coils on eBay (id or di i dont recall the brand) engine is running awrsome. after just 800 miles , this morning i wanted to start the bike and the engine was running only on cylinder 1 and 4.
I took the tank off , the 2 and 3 coil is shot.
My multimeter read infinity on the primary, low voltage side.
I had to connect my old coil and the engine is running perfect again. Plenty of torque and smooth.
My question is: what can cause a new coil to break only after 800 miles? :blink:

It's junk quality or it's used.

1979 KZ-750 Twin