Hazards not working

• someonewakeuphicks
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Aug 2016 07:15 #737518 by someonewakeuphicks
Hazards not working was created by someonewakeuphicks
Just bought my first KZ last night. A beautiful, near mint, bone stock, '78 KZ 650 C2 in aqua blue. Super jazzed about it! She turns over on the first kick and sounds very healthy. Needs the usual, oil, filters etc... but other than that MINT!!

My problem is now I need to get it safetied and the hazard lights aren't working and in Ontario, as long as the bike is equipped with hazards, they have to work to pass safety. I've replaced both 38 year old relays with new modern electronic relays and the turn signals are working properly, but not the hazards :(

So where do I go from here? I tried opening up the bar controls but because the cables are in the handlebars, I didn't manage to get very far.

Obligatory bringing it home pic!

Hicksy

Always remember to keep the rubber side down!

Bikes
'78 KZ650c2 - Current love affair
'04 Fz6 - Current daily rider (until the KZ is finished)
'82 XJ550 Seca - RIP Little Red :(
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2016 07:47 #737525 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Hazards not working

someonewakeuphicks wrote: Just bought my first KZ last night. A beautiful, near mint, bone stock, '78 KZ 650 C2 in aqua blue. Super jazzed about it! She turns over on the first kick and sounds very healthy. Needs the usual, oil, filters etc... but other than that MINT!!

My problem is now I need to get it safetied and the hazard lights aren't working and in Ontario, as long as the bike is equipped with hazards, they have to work to pass safety. I've replaced both 38 year old relays with new modern electronic relays and the turn signals are working properly, but not the hazards :(

So where do I go from here? I tried opening up the bar controls but because the cables are in the handlebars, I didn't manage to get very far.

Obligatory bringing it home pic!

Hicksy

Sweet! Welcome.

You need to get the FSM and a wiring diagram. Sometimes replacement relays are wired the opposite the factory relays so try swapping the wires around. The hazards run off a different circuit than the indicators, check the fuses. The switch connectors are behind the headlight if you need to feed some slack to inspect and service the switches. You probably just need to change a fuse or repair and clean some connectors.

More
05 Aug 2016 07:49 #737526 by GPzMOD750

• someonewakeuphicks
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Aug 2016 08:21 #737534 by someonewakeuphicks
Replied by someonewakeuphicks on topic Hazards not working
Bike came with Haynes and FSM so I'm covered there. Bought the 552 flasher I've seen recommended here, so I'll check the connections when I get home. Failed to mention that I checked the 3 fuses and they all seem fine, no blackening or filament breaks.

While I'm at it, does anyone have any experience changing the stock glass tubes over to an ATO blade style?

Bikes

More
05 Aug 2016 08:45 #737537 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Hazards not working
Check continuity with a Multimeter.

The VC97 is a great unit for a decent price.

And yes.. www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...m=bv.129391328,d.cGc

I had to do some splicing but it should be plug an play on your bike. He is kind of hard to get hold of but does great work.

Otherwise, you can get a similar block at your local auto parts store and wire it yourself. Others have just put in inline holders.

More
05 Aug 2016 12:44 - 05 Aug 2016 12:45 #737560 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Hazards not working
Beautiful bike. How many km on it ?

Regarding the hazards at least you have eliminated the bulbs. I found the LL552 s a big improvement over my old relays. Contacts at the relays are sometimes corroded perhaps if the battery breather has been left off.

With ignition switched on and the hazard button pressed in you should have close to battery voltage at one of the 2 orange green wires at the hazard relay. (Multimeter set to 20VDC and red/pos probe in the connector and black/neg probe touching the engine case.) If connection is clean and no sign of battery voltage here then next would be open the left handle bar switch and look for battery voltage at the orange/green here..... and/or continuity (ohms) between hazard switch and relay. I suspect that you will find a couple of block connectors from the left switch gear in the headlight bucket and you may be able to repeat the volage and continuity tests here also.

The colour diagram GPzMOD750 posted will be much better than anything in the Haynes manual. Follow the power from the ignition switch to the relay to the hazard button. The tables at the bottom of the diagram may also be useful

Hopefully its just a dirty corroded connector. Many KZR members recommend Deoxit for cleaning electrics. I eventually found it in Sayal Electronics stores and it is excellent stuff. Expensive but excellent for motorcycle electrics.

I changed to ATC fuses last year. Got mine at my local small dealer. Most if not all bike shops in Canada get their stuff from Parts Canada who handle the Drag Specialities Fatbook catalog.
Heres the unit. This is from last years catalog so you might want to search and double check if you decide to take this route

I gave my local guy the cat number and asked him to get one. He put the number in his computer gave me a price and had it the following week. Like GPzMOD750 I put mine behind the battery. The downside of my one is that the rear is open. I used contact cement and a piece cut from an pickup truck mudflap to seal it. In hind sight filling it with RTV as per a tip from Nessism would have been easier and just as effective

Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Aug 2016 12:45 by JR.

• someonewakeuphicks
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Aug 2016 17:27 #737588 by someonewakeuphicks
Replied by someonewakeuphicks on topic Hazards not working
*UPDATE*

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Turns out the old girl just needed a little TLC. The flasher relay was fried, but the original was fine. Spent about an hour running the multi-meter across the bike and not finding any reason whatsoever that the hazards wouldn't work, I pulled apart the left control. Found a full on cobweb in there, and proceeded to pull everything out and clean and lubricate it all. Found out that the hazard switch is just a piece of plastic with a brass contact plate on it. Cleaned everything, lubed everything with LPS-1 and put it all back together. When I hit the switch, everything worked like a charm.

Only thing to do now is change the oil and air filter and I'm good to ride :woohoo: Fuse block to come later

And to answer your JR she's 49898 km young

Bikes