Main fuse and headlight fuse blowing on KZ1000 P

More
07 Jun 2016 12:36 #730447 by askaraboz
The main 30A fuse keeps blowing on my KZP1000P but it only happens once a week or so. If I don't switch headlights and position lights on it works fine as soon as I flip the switch on both fuses gets scolding hot. Main fuse also gets scolding hot if I engage the breaks and hold them. If I unplug the fairing with all the lights and flip the headlight switch on it powers the speedometer/tachometer lights and the fuse gets only a little hot. Do I need to look for a shorted wire somewhere? Why would it take so long for the fuse to blow then? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jun 2016 12:57 #730449 by SWest
Might be a wire left for the Cop equipment. A friend's Crown Vic burned down because they didn't kill the wires when they removed the equipment.
Steve

More
07 Jun 2016 19:46 #730485 by RonKZ650
Sounds like the bad fuse clips. I'm not sure how long they kept using the same idea, but back in the 70s KZs they used those stupid clips that caused the fuses to run too hot to touch and frequently melt plastic nearby. If it was now they would all be recalled for a huge safety hazard. I thought of this many a mile riding at night just praying the fuses would not burn. So my guess is the clips are bad, second guess is wires worn through going into the headlight shell shorting out. The fact fuses run hot indicate the clips. The more curreht drawn, the hotter the heat gets eventually melting the fuse.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
07 Jun 2016 20:24 - 07 Jun 2016 20:26 #730495 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Main fuse and headlight fuse blowing on KZ1000 P

askaraboz wrote: The main 30A fuse keeps blowing on my KZP1000P but it only happens once a week or so. If I don't switch headlights and position lights on it works fine as soon as I flip the switch on both fuses gets scolding hot. Main fuse also gets scolding hot if I engage the breaks and hold them. If I unplug the fairing with all the lights and flip the headlight switch on it powers the speedometer/tachometer lights and the fuse gets only a little hot. Do I need to look for a shorted wire somewhere? Why would it take so long for the fuse to blow then? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Fuses actually take a while to blow if they have current at or maybe 10 - 30% above their rating. In some fuses, they can run an hour at rated current. Usually when fuses blow fast it's some kind of hard short. Ones that take time to blow are some kind of overload not just a short.

One obvious thing: old fuses have to get chucked, replace them all to start.

As somebody said: bad connections at the fuses from dirty or oxidized clips will create tremendous heat and can screw the fuse.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 07 Jun 2016 20:26 by bountyhunter.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jun 2016 20:29 #730496 by SWest
My main fuse kept getting hot. I cleaned them but in time the fuse would blow. I gave it lighter duty and installed a large modern one. Doesn't get hot and no problems.
Steve

More
07 Jun 2016 22:02 #730512 by daveo
The wires inside my fuse holder connect to the fuse clips in a cavity accessible only from the bottom. They are mechanically held together with rivets.
Those wire connections at the fuse clip became loose, which generated heat and blew the main fuse. I used a hammer and center-punch to re-establish that connection, which solved that problem.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
07 Jun 2016 22:12 #730513 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Main fuse and headlight fuse blowing on KZ1000 P
If the charging system is good, another source of blowing stuff up is a simple bad ground with respect to the voltage regulator and or rectifier!!

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
07 Jun 2016 23:11 #730516 by askaraboz
Replied by askaraboz on topic Main fuse and headlight fuse blowing on KZ1000 P
Thanks for all the answers. I started checking wires for continuity and so far every wire in that circuit is good. Opened the headlight switch and everything checks out there, wires to and from are good. Headlight bulb is good and of the right wattage. Will dig up the fuse box tomorrow and let you know. If the fuse box is bad is it ok to replace with something like this? www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Blade-Bl...-2&keywords=fuse+box

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
08 Jun 2016 03:58 #730523 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic Main fuse and headlight fuse blowing on KZ1000 P
On my XS650 the clip that hold the glass fuses wore out. I replaced them all with individual blade fuses and holders for just a few bucks. Not sure what the KZP fuses look like. I guess I should check mine :laugh:

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

More
10 Jun 2016 11:01 - 10 Jun 2016 11:20 #730835 by askaraboz
Replied by askaraboz on topic Main fuse and headlight fuse blowing on KZ1000 P
So I replaced the main fuse with the modern blade fuse and it works great so far doesn't get hot at all. Will do the same for the other ones cause they still run hot even after cleaning the fuse holders. Thanks for pointing me out in the right direction cause I was ready to take it to the shop.
goo.gl/photos/mtkbYcnDN9VyHz2w9

And that's what the bike looks like:
goo.gl/photos/3ptYJ7Kh9bpjg9k28
Last edit: 10 Jun 2016 11:20 by askaraboz.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
11 Jun 2016 17:13 #730995 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Main fuse and headlight fuse blowing on KZ1000 P
Fuses actually take a while to blow if they have current at or maybe 10 - 30% above their rating. In some fuses, they can run an hour at rated current. Usually when fuses blow fast it's some kind of hard short. Ones that take time to blow are some kind of overload not just a short.

+!

..also, as terminals corrode and resistance (causing volt drop ) increases, so so does the extra current to compensate.

Power Watts = current Amps (squared) x resistance Ohms.

Bad electrics get even worse over time,as they get hotter and even more corroded..

first thing I do on old bike is go over the electrics, from battery , ignition switch etc through to the bulbs.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces