Ignition problems

More
07 Jun 2016 05:41 #730391 by LUAN
Ignition problems was created by LUAN
Hi Guys

I have a huge problem but it comes with a bit of a tale.

I Have a KZ 750 E it is my pride and joy it was the first thing I bought after school and had it since.

What happend is The battery died (after a long standstill) and I got a new one to start it again.

But the shop gave me a battery with the polarity swapped and i only noticed it after I tied to connect the battery.

Well it sparked I cried went back got the right battery and that is when the fun starts.
I Tried to start my bike and my bike started smoking, I lifted the seat to find a positive and a earth going to the cdi shorted .

I replaced the connector plugs and the fuse box added a fuse for the cdi wires.

When I insert a fuse the fuse pops even with the bike off.

I tested between positive and the wire coming from the cdi and found that there seems to be a short (down to earth)

I suppose that the cdi is busted please help me how can i repair this mistake.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2016 06:16 #730397 by Timbox
Replied by Timbox on topic Ignition problems
Looks like your trouble shooting is solid and that you have isolated it to cdi. the cdi should be swapped out and see if the issue is fixed. I don't know how easy it is to find a spare or replacement cdi for your bike.

Too bad that happened, hope you get it worked out.

Long time shade tree wrencher
KZ750 B3 (current Project)
03 B12S
09 KLR650
86 FJ1200
ZX14 (sold)
ZRX1200R (sold) Best bike I have ever owned, need another one

More
07 Jun 2016 07:03 - 07 Jun 2016 07:19 #730405 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Ignition problems
The IC igniter has diodes or electronics that probably got fried. NOS igniters listed on eebbaayy are typically very very expensive. used are readily available, but often times priced high & buying used electronic parts can be a gamble. loudhvx has a how-to for making a GM HEI igniter. I acquired the stuff, but didn't put one together yet. doh.
Dynatek is another option. I think the Dyna-S replaces the igniter & pulsing coil. ???

OEM: according to the cross-reference at Partzilla, most of the 550s, 650-csr & 750-4s use the same Igniter. It may be that other igniters could be used, but I've never verified that. double-check the igniter part number at Kawasaki.com.

Partzilla -->> OEM parts -->> Kawasaki -->> motorcycle parts -->> choose a year, then the model -->> Ignition -->> then click igniter for the x-ref
Last edit: 07 Jun 2016 07:19 by martin_csr.

More
07 Jun 2016 08:54 #730423 by rrsmsw9999
Replied by rrsmsw9999 on topic Ignition problems
Before jumping to CDI or other component failure, you problem sounds like a melted wire and a ground fault. Having done the same thing wrong polarity, as long as it was momentary I doubt you harmed any components. Mine arced badly and had no ill effects. But I've been wrong before. :ohmy:

1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016

More
07 Jun 2016 09:18 #730424 by retterath
Replied by retterath on topic Ignition problems
Unplug CDI, install new fuse. plug cdi back in. if fuse blows, there's the culprit.

More
07 Jun 2016 10:00 #730431 by Timbox
Replied by Timbox on topic Ignition problems
Well if that is the case, looking at your wiring harness insulation for melted sports or even try the old smell test. Just sniffing along the harness and running your hand along the harness might find the issue.

Long time shade tree wrencher
KZ750 B3 (current Project)
03 B12S
09 KLR650
86 FJ1200
ZX14 (sold)
ZRX1200R (sold) Best bike I have ever owned, need another one

More
08 Jun 2016 03:42 #730520 by LUAN
Replied by LUAN on topic Ignition problems
The wire to the cdi comes directly from the battery and that wire burned to a crisp I replaced it and no joy

More
08 Jun 2016 08:10 #730563 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Ignition problems
Don't jump off the deep end. Do you have a wiring diagram (owners or shop manual)? You need to check the diagram closely. The IC Ignitor is not typically wired direct to the battery. + voltage ties in with the coils and usually is routed the on/off switch on the bars. You said the fuse blows with the bike off. If that's true, you've got a short somewhere else. Smoke indicates melted insulation, which will cause a short anywhere the bare wire makes contact. You really need to get a wiring diagram and multimeter and start working your way thru the system.
The manual will also provide an in circuit and out of circuit test for the module.

More
08 Jun 2016 09:11 #730570 by rrsmsw9999
Replied by rrsmsw9999 on topic Ignition problems
I agree with the above and still would be surprised if components were trashed. R

1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016

More
10 Jun 2016 03:17 #730781 by LUAN
Replied by LUAN on topic Ignition problems
Yes I Copied one

But its not the same I had my bike in for some repairs years ago and they had to do some electrical work.

But I will do what you guys said and check all the wires maybe this is a good time to check and fix the non factory wiring.

Can someone tell me were to find the diagram of loudhvx how to for making a GM HEI igniter. I cannot find it

But thank you for the help

More
10 Jun 2016 07:32 #730807 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Ignition problems

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
12 Jun 2016 17:52 #731113 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Ignition problems
As mentioned, this is most likely a regulator/rectifier issue based on PM info.

Was the igniter mounted under the battery on the 750 E ? I thought the reg/rec was.