Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

No Spark 14 May 2016 10:21 #726386

• oldie
  • oldie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all, have losted before here about 1982 kz250 with electronic ignition, having problems gettinv spark.
Sinc original post I've replaced the cdi unit with a supposedly working used one , found the pulser pickup coil open circuit, replaced that, xtill no spark. Checked wiring connecgions and found potential differences in pinout versus sire connector so trying to sort that out still no spark. So nos leads me to believe either pickup coil ( aftermarket) won't work, ignition coil is bad, or cdi module is bad, or connections still arent right.
Have no actual manual for this particular model, just relying on information obtsined through forum, askjng questikns and bike shop.
Suggestions, links for wiring diagram etc would be very much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No Spark 14 May 2016 12:08 #726396

• punisher11b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
jpavlov.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/kawa...2_service_manual.pdf
Ask and ye shall receive :lol:
Here is the original posting in case that doesn't work for you.
kz750twins.com/?p=426
I'm in the same boat as you so I can offer a little help. Wrecked my 305 a few years back and it hasn't had a spark since. New CDI , nothing. all coils check out. It can be very frustrating. :angry:
make sure you have checked all your switches in your handlebars and make sure they are clean including ignition. Also double check all safety switches like the one you may have in the Kickstand. What is the voltage at your coils ?
- good luck

Last edit: by punisher11b.

No Spark 14 May 2016 12:18 #726398

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2053
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

No Spark 19 Apr 2019 10:14 #802413

• oldie
  • User
HI TexasKZ, gotta yet check the voltage at the coil, I know I'm gettin power to one side fer sure.
I'm still strugglin to match the pinout of the new replacement cdi module to the correct wires on the bike as to the wiring diagram.
I'm still unsure if the pickup coil original or one I bought to replace are actually working correctly or not. I need the pickup coil specs. I measured the old one got what appears to be an open circuit and the replacement one have about 5k ohms. I bought a brand new direct replacement CDI module from amazon through a supplier Mayspare, for $23.00. Pretty cheap and reasonable but of course wiring colors aren't the same but they sent me a pinout for it.
I have a pinout for the original looking module as well as one for the replacement one regardless of color of wires. The original pinout I got from here.
Something i did find however I have continuity with through the actual coil wire but not the plug cap (wonder if there's a built in resister inside).
I even attempted to get spark with the plug cap removed and grounding to engine still nuttin.
Gonna try a coil from another bike to see if that works as well as check out primary and secondary reading of original coil. Any coil should work I'd think, even an automotive coil, just for testing purpose anyway?
So either the pickup coil isn't creating the timing indicator or the ignition coil is bad?

No Spark 19 Apr 2019 10:15 #802414

• oldie
  • User
Hey thanks punisher11b,
gotta yet check the voltage at the coil, I know I'm gettin power to one side fer sure.
I'm still strugglin to match the pinout of the new replacement cdi module to the correct wires on the bike as to the wiring diagram.
I'm still unsure if the pickup coil original or one I bought to replace are actually working correctly or not. I need the pickup coil specs. I measured the old one got what appears to be an open circuit and the replacement one have about 5k ohms. I bought a brand new direct replacement CDI module from amazon through a supplier Mayspare, for $23.00. Pretty cheap and reasonable but of course wiring colors aren't the same but they sent me a pinout for it.
I have a pinout for the original looking module as well as one for the replacement one regardless of color of wires. The original pinout I got from here.
Something i did find however I have continuity with through the actual coil wire but not the plug cap (wonder if there's a built in resister inside).
I even attempted to get spark with the plug cap removed and grounding to engine still nuttin.
Gonna try a coil from another bike to see if that works as well as check out primary and secondary reading of original coil. Any coil should work I'd think, even an automotive coil, just for testing purpose anyway?
So either the pickup coil isn't creating the timing indicator or the ignition coil is bad?

No Spark 19 Apr 2019 10:16 #802415

• oldie
  • User
Hey thx, I did obtain an original reproduction manual from repairmanual.com.
gotta yet check the voltage at the coil, I know I'm gettin power to one side fer sure.

No Spark 19 Apr 2019 10:21 #802416

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
It would help if you posted which bike you have exactly. There is a single cylinder 250 and a twin 250. The ignitions are probably different for the two.

If I recall, one was an actual CDI, and the other may have been transistor or even points.

No Spark 19 Apr 2019 10:52 #802418

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationAssuming your bike is a 1982 KZ250 single cylinder the manual below would be an excellent investment. I can't imagine owning a KZ and not owning a Kawasaki Service Manual for it; the manual really is worth its weight in gold. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

No Spark 19 Apr 2019 11:44 #802421

• oldie
  • User
Hi, sorry its a 1982 KZ 250 single LTD is on the side cover.

No Spark 19 Apr 2019 11:46 #802422

• oldie
  • User
HI 650ED, thanks, I got an authentic reproduction service manual from repair manual.com but unfortunately is doesn't rally have a lot of information and or diagnostic information on CDI modules n such.
And in addition I'm not entirely sure which model in the wiring schematics include that apply to my specific model?

No Spark 19 Apr 2019 11:49 #802423

• oldie
  • User
Hi Mine is a KZ 250 single and has the CDI module. I got a new direct replacement module online from amazon through an outfit called Mayspare. They even supllied a pinout for their part so regardless of colors I should be able to match up the respective wires to the correct points?
But still doesn't work?

No Spark 19 Apr 2019 11:49 #802424

• oldie
  • User
Hi Mine is a KZ 250 single and has the CDI module. I got a new direct replacement module online from amazon through an outfit called Mayspare. They even supplied a pinout for their part so regardless of colors I should be able to match up the respective wires to the correct points?
But still doesn't work?

• Page: