Stop Lamp

More
23 Apr 2016 09:19 #722531 by Variomatic
Stop Lamp was created by Variomatic
I'm having a small electrical issue with my 1980 KZ1000 LTD, their is a small light on the dash that says "stop lamp" that does not turn off, we know for a fact their is a broken wire in the head light, a small blue one. What is that small light supposed to mean? Does it come on when there stop light turns on? Or when it broken?
Thanks for any help.

Currently participating in the restoration of a 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2016 09:25 #722532 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Stop Lamp
It is designed to tell you the stop lamp is burnt out or shorted.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
23 Apr 2016 09:50 #722540 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Stop Lamp
If the light is not burnt or shorted, check the rear brake switch for adjustment, that's connected to your rear brake pedal
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

More
23 Apr 2016 10:38 - 23 Apr 2016 10:39 #722551 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Stop Lamp

Variomatic wrote: I'm having a small electrical issue with my 1980 KZ1000 LTD, their is a small light on the dash that says "stop lamp" that does not turn off, we know for a fact their is a broken wire in the head light, a small blue one. What is that small light supposed to mean? Does it come on when there stop light turns on? Or when it broken?
Thanks for any help.

The bike's rear bulb is dual filament. One filament is the "brake" light supposed to burn only during braking. The other filament is the "tail" or "running" light supposed to burn whenever the headlight is on, or when ignition switch is turned counter-clockwise to "parking light" position. The tail light has no influence on the dashboard "Stop Lamp Indicator Warning," which gives no information regarding operation of the tail light.

Here's how the red dashboard "Stop Lamp Indicator Warning" is supposed to work in conjunction with the bike's rear brake light.

Switch ignition ON -- dash light stays dark.
Applying front/rear brake -- dash light stays lit.
While lit -- means the dash bulb itself functions, and brake switches function to allow/disallow electrical current flow. Doesn't assure rear brake light being lit. Even without a rear bulb, the dash light stays lit while brake is applied, and simply means the dash light bulb itself isn't burned out, and that the brake switches are functional.

The "warning" aspect comes into play whenever the dash light is "blinking" with neither brake applied, such as while just cruising along. The "blinking" warns that the rear brake light is inoperative for whatever reason and won't light up when brake is applied.

Such blinking dash light could typically result from a burned out brake light filament in the rear bulb, or a defective connector, or broken wire.

Scenario -- you're just cruising along not squeezing the brake lever and not pressing the brake pedal, and happen to notice the dash light is blinking. You are being warned that the rear brake light is inoperative, meaning that whenever you later apply either or both brake(s), the rear brake light ain't gonna be lit.

So you momentarily apply brake, whereby the red brake dash light stops blinking and stays lit while brake remains applied. Again, this means only that the dash light bulb itself isn't burned out, and that the brake switches are functional to allow or disallow electrical current flow; and doesn't assure whether the rear brake light actually is or isn't lit.

Bottom line -- When the red dashboard "Stop Lamp Indicator Warning" light is blinking without brake applied, rest assured that the rear brake light is inoperable.

If the red dashboard "Stop Lamp Indicator Warning" light continues blinking with brake applied, there's probably an issue with the "Stop Lamp Indicator Warning" SWITCH, or wiring associated with the switch.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Apr 2016 10:39 by Patton.

More
23 Apr 2016 11:55 #722559 by davido
Replied by davido on topic Stop Lamp
Ive been studying the wiring diagram for my bike (in preperation for a loom rebuild) and I noticed a small random diode wired into one of the rear light wires.It was a bit of a mystery to me,being the only diode in the whole schematic but a friend at work suggested that it may be to do with the stop light warning light.I never realized I had a stop light warning light and I dont see anything like you describe on the dash.
but it might be worth looking into as part of your fault diagnosis.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
23 Apr 2016 17:00 #722591 by Variomatic
Replied by Variomatic on topic Stop Lamp
I'm just gonna try reconnecting the blue wire (connected to this issue or not it shouldn't be broken), and then take a Multi Meter to the switches to test them. However what the mod posted about the blinking was very useful.

Currently participating in the restoration of a 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

More
23 Apr 2016 22:32 - 23 Apr 2016 22:49 #722624 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Stop Lamp

Variomatic wrote: I'm having a small electrical issue with my 1980 KZ1000 LTD, their is a small light on the dash that says "stop lamp" that does not turn off, we know for a fact their is a broken wire in the head light, a small blue one. What is that small light supposed to mean? Does it come on when there stop light turns on? Or when it broken?
Thanks for any help.

small light on the dash that says "stop lamp" that does not turn off . . .. What is that small light supposed to mean? Does it come on when there stop light turns on? Or when it broken? -- see earlier posts in this thread.

we know for a fact their is a broken wire in the head light, a small blue one -- now turning to the question about the broken small blue wire.

On later models (including the bike at hand), each front amber (yellow) light serves two purposes:
1. As a directional turn signal flasher that operates with or without the headlight being on;
2. As a front running light (not flashing), whereby both front running lights stay on continuously whenever the headlight is on.

The blue wire inside the headlight nacelle provides 12v to either and/or both front running light(s) whenever the headlight is on. In other words, the bulb in each front amber (yellow) light receives 12v from a blue wire.

The blue wire inside the headlight nacelle is not involved with the Stop Lamp Indicator Warning, hence the Stop Lamp Indicator Warning remains functional regardless of anything having to do with the blue wire inside the headlight nacelle.

The blue wire inside the headlight nacelle is not involved with the flashing of directional signals, hence the flashing directional signals remain functional regardless of anything having to do with the blue wire inside the headlight nacelle.

The blue wire inside the headlight nacelle is not involved with the brake light, hence the brake light components remain functional regardless of anything having to do with the blue wire inside the headlight nacelle,

The blue wire inside the headlight nacelle is not involved with the tail light, hence the tail light remains functional regardless of anything having to do with the blue wire inside the headlight nacelle.

The blue wire inside the headlight nacelle is not involved with the rear directional signals, hence the the rear directional signals remain functional regardless of anything having to do with the blue wire inside the headlight nacelle.

If needed, there are several KZ1000 wiring diagrams in KZr's FILEBASE.
Here's a link to the A4 (regular street model) wiring diagram in color, which I believe is mostly the same as the B4.
Click here > A4 wiring diagram in color

Earlier models have front amber (yellow) lights that serve only one purpose, that singular purpose being as common ordinary directional turn signal flashers with or without the headlight being on, and without having a running light feature.
For example, the KZ900-B1 LTD has ordinary directional turn signal flashers that do not include front running lights.

I'm uncertain about when or on which models the front running lights feature was introduced by adding dual filament bulbs and associated wiring to the two front amber lights.

To my knowledge, there have never been any stock Kawasaki factory-produced running lights associated with the rear directional turn signal lights.

A Forum Search would likely produce numerous earlier KZr threads related to the subject of running lights.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Apr 2016 22:49 by Patton.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Apr 2016 06:13 #722642 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Stop Lamp
To add running lights to my Z1 I had to tap into the blue wire going to the instrument lights and run a wire back to the turn signals. There was always a extra blue wire leading up the the headlight area. I bought 4 duel element turn signals from Z1E.

It was an easy matter to hook them up. The only issue was the extra draw the four extra bulbs would take. Add the other lights, top box (4), side marker (2), they were taxing the charging system quite a bit. I then converted all my lights to LED and a HID headlight. It's amazing how much juice these little bulbs take. The turn signals required a special turn signal relay to work as well. I left the tail light alone as to not disturb the outage indicator circuit. There are 4 stop lamps on the box that are LED but don't cause any issues. B)
Steve
Attachments: