1976 Kz400 Wiring Diagram Approval & Questions

More
14 Apr 2016 19:42 #721024 by alinaaseh
This is my first build, and I am taking quite a bit of care while rewiring the bike so I don't catch myself on fire.

The diagram below shows my tentative plans. There are no lights, signals, or indicators on the diagram because I am not dealing with those until the bike is running and fully streetworthy. When I'm ready to install them, I'll simply attach them to the live wire that comes from the ignition switch.

The only major question I have is regarding the starter switch. If I install a new switch, I'd like to use a toggle. The one I have is rated for 15amps. I'd have to install a fuse between the ignition switch and the starter switch, correct? If so, at what amperage should it blow? 10? 12?

Other than that, please let me know if there's any issues with the current diagram, or any other tips you'd give a first-timer.

Best,

Ali

1976 KZ400 D3
Ft. Collins, CO
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2016 23:46 - 15 Apr 2016 18:26 #721043 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 1976 Kz400 Wiring Diagram Approval & Questions
Here's a topic with a bunch of wiring diagrams provided by kzrider loudhvx. 1980 750H bare bones for mattylight (pg 19)
At the bottom of pg 19 is one for a 76 400S. there may be other diagrams for the KZ400.

Is the toggle starter switch spring loaded? If not, it seems like it could get inadvertently moved to the start position while the engine is running. or remain there after starting.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2016 18:26 by martin_csr.

More
15 Apr 2016 09:16 #721078 by alinaaseh
Replied by alinaaseh on topic 1976 Kz400 Wiring Diagram Approval & Questions
Thanks for the link to loudhvx's diagrams. Matches up pretty much exactly with mine. Very useful.

The switch I'm currently looking at is a OFF-MOM toggle. It's spring loaded to flip back to OFF when not in use.

1976 KZ400 D3
Ft. Collins, CO

More
15 Apr 2016 11:45 #721095 by loudhvx
I don't know of an electronic ignition that works as shown. Even the Dyna S would have some sort of connection to power. You shwo it with ground and a coil connection, but need power to it.

More
15 Apr 2016 11:57 - 15 Apr 2016 11:59 #721096 by loudhvx
I like to draw my diagrams to follow certain conventions.

Normally I like the top line to be the switched 12v power bus, and the bottom line to be the ground bus.

I also like the power generation on the left, and loads to be on the right.

It is more intuitive that way, especially if you have to work on many diagrams.

Not that any other way would be wrong at all, but just a suggestion, as I found people seem to be able to follow the schematic easier this way.

Notice most/all of the loads will have current flowing downward that way.
Voltage will correlate somewhat with vertical position on the the page.

Then it's also easy to see if loads are switched on the hot side, or the ground side, with a quick glance.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2016 11:59 by loudhvx.