Led running lights won't work

More
24 Mar 2016 12:08 #717140 by Jonwayne14
Led running lights won't work was created by Jonwayne14
Hey guys new here been using this site to gain tons of helpful knowledge for my restore on my 78 kz650b so let me explain this best as I can I wanted to put led lights in bc stock r just so dull but I decided to just go with a similar to stock headlight newer better incandescent and then I put led in the tail light and all four turn signals when I did this the headlight and taillight worked just as they should I should also mention I was told that if there is an incondescent in the line the led will work so I moved on to the turn signals they didn't work did some research on here found out I needed an led relay put tht in and now my flashers headlight and twilight work as they should what isn't working is the front turn signal running light when I put the lights on my headlight and tail light come on but the two front running lights don't and my signal indicators light up solid on both sides does anyone know how to fix this is like to have them working thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2016 11:19 #717603 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Led running lights won't work
Are you using dual filament bulbs in the front turn signals?
And only single filament rear signals, stock, on a kz650.

How to fix it so it works? Switch back to stock bulbs.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
27 Mar 2016 13:11 #717616 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Led running lights won't work
Maybe the bulbs are confused by a lack of punctuation. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Mar 2016 16:12 #717638 by Jonwayne14
Replied by Jonwayne14 on topic Led running lights won't work
Yea there dual filament the numbers all match what was previously in them 1157 in front and 1156 in rear

More
27 Mar 2016 16:16 #717639 by Jonwayne14
It's the 21st century I'm using a smart phone idc how puncual I type if you don't have suggestions for my issue go grade someone else's forum eddy

More
27 Mar 2016 17:06 #717646 by 650ed
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Not a very smart smart phone!

Here's my suggestion wise guy - study the KZ650 wiring diagram (see link below). Sort out why LED's aren't working. This is too easy to even think about. I know this is the 21st century, but take a look at the build date on your motorcycle. It was built in the 20th century. When it was built there were NO LED bike or car lights. So that means you need to compensate. If you are not able to sort it out using the wiring diagram I provided I have another suggestion. Use the SEARCH feature on this website. It's easy to use, even a dope like I can use it, so a guy like yourself with a firm grasp on modern technology should find it a breeze. The question you asked has been answered many times. In fact, I have even answered it myself several times, so a smart guy like you should have no trouble finding it. If you still can't find the answer, ask again. Eddy

diagrams.kz650.info/wiring/images/KZ650-B2,C2.jpg

The following user(s) said Thank You: wrenchmonkey

More
27 Mar 2016 18:56 #717661 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Led running lights won't work
Thanks for this wiring diagram link Ed. It could not have come at a better time. I'm a couple of days out from pulling my old '78 (no wait, it's a '79) outta moth balls after a 5 year hiatus.

Back on thread topic:
Is it possible that you got the wires to the front turn/running lights crossed? Lord knows I've done that more than a few times. Thus, the parking light circuit is illuminating the brighter side of the bulb (the turn/flash element is mui brighter than the parking element) and so when you make the turn, you cannot see the dimmer of the two elements actually flashing. I dunno, but that's happened to me before...

More
27 Mar 2016 19:10 #717667 by Jonwayne14
Thank you Ed I apologize for being a dick bit of a rough day I did a lot of research on this page before making a thread nothing about led running lights not Workin just turn signal stuff now i checked the diagram and I see the wires that connect all running lights also have a direct line to the battery as if it's the feed for them they also run through a regulator is it possible I have to replace that with something just as I did the relay to operate the led keep in mind the tail light is running with the head light and is also on same circuit

More
27 Mar 2016 19:22 #717671 by Jonwayne14
Hey wrench monkey I'm gonna go ahead and say it's not wiring bc I didn't touch it but you got me thinking as already stated the tail light is working as it should both running and brake but the bulbs r different styles still both 1157 but Napa ran out of the one style so I got another so I'm gonna swap a few bulbs around and see if that's the problem if so I'll send some links in the forum and maybe prevent anyone from the troubles

More
27 Mar 2016 19:39 #717674 by 650ed
No problem. I've been know to be a bit harsh myself at times .(Some would say I'm an A-hole most of the time :whistle: )

If you're using LED bulbs in the turn signals you'll need an electronic flasher unit for them to blink. The original flasher units rely on resistance, but LED's don't drive them hard enough to work. I'm pretty sure the Tridon/Stant 552 2 prong flasher works, is inexpensive, is a direct fit, and available at most auto stores. Ed

More
28 Mar 2016 11:59 #717783 by Jonwayne14
Well problem solved although they are dual function for some reason the tower style leds won't work for running lights in the front they work in the tail light but for the front the only style led that works is the multi bulb style with that said for anyone who comes accross this forum of your converting to led my suggestion is buy the multi bulb style led not the towers me personally I stayed with and incondescent headlight with high intensity bulb you will need to purchase and led electronic flasher and then you will be all set for plug and play action hope this helps somone thank you all for your suggestions

More
29 Mar 2016 04:22 - 29 Mar 2016 04:29 #717931 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Led running lights won't work
I use an android to post all the time. It has punctuation.

Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Mar 2016 04:29 by GPzMOD750.