Ignition coil confirmation please

More
25 Feb 2016 16:41 #712508 by Sardonicus
Ignition coil confirmation please was created by Sardonicus
So I have been experiencing some difficulty getting spark from this 76 kz750. I downloaded a shop manual and it tells me a rudimentary test can be done in the primary and secondary windings with am ohm meter. The book tells me primary should read between 3.2 and 4.8 ohms and the secondary should ready between 10.4 and 15.6 kohms. Now I did this test on my ignition coil that was on this bike when I bought it and got a positive test for the primary and nothing for the secondary winding and with that result I bought a new ignition coil. The new coil has arrived and without even thinking about it I installed it and still no spark. So I did this test again. Once again the primary winding tested good and nothing on the secondary winding.

To test the primary winding the book tells me to put one meter probe on the yellow/red wire of the coil and one probe on the blue wire.

To test the secondary winding the book tells me to put one meter probe on one spark plug lead and the other probe on the other spark plug lead.

Can someone confirm that this test actually does work on the secondary winding? I am certain I have the correct manual but I'd just like someone to confirm things for me so I can carry on smartly getting a replacement coil or whatever I have to do next.

1976 KZ750 B1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Feb 2016 17:26 #712514 by SWest

More
25 Feb 2016 17:35 #712517 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Ignition coil confirmation please

Sardonicus wrote: So I have been experiencing some difficulty getting spark from this 76 kz750. I downloaded a shop manual and it tells me a rudimentary test can be done in the primary and secondary windings with am ohm meter. The book tells me primary should read between 3.2 and 4.8 ohms and the secondary should ready between 10.4 and 15.6 kohms. Now I did this test on my ignition coil that was on this bike when I bought it and got a positive test for the primary and nothing for the secondary winding .

What does "nothing for the secondary" mean?

What reading did you get?

Make sure your meter has an appropriate range to measure the 15 k Ohms.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
26 Feb 2016 02:50 #712550 by Sardonicus
Replied by Sardonicus on topic Ignition coil confirmation please
Nothing from the secondary means I got no reading at all and I am certain the meter was set appropriately for reading 15 kohms

I'll shoot you some pictures this afternoon of what I've got going on - in a rush this morning

1976 KZ750 B1

More
26 Feb 2016 12:29 #712604 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Ignition coil confirmation please

Sardonicus wrote: Nothing from the secondary means I got no reading at all and I am certain the meter was set appropriately for reading 15 kohms

OK, confusion is because a digital meter can't give "no reading" so maybe you have an analog meter and the needles does not move?

If so, that corresponds to a reading of Ohms larger than range of meter which could be open circuit, dirty connection, or range that doesn't go high enough. Seems unlikely a new coil could have an open circuit on the secondary (?)

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
26 Feb 2016 19:14 #712667 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Ignition coil confirmation please
Possibly an issue with one of the plug caps or connection between plug wire and the cap.

If not already done, to rule out a cap issue, could remove the caps, and re-test between ends of plug wires.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Feb 2016 19:22 #712670 by SWest

More
26 Feb 2016 20:51 - 26 Feb 2016 20:53 #712688 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Ignition coil confirmation please
Are you testing the coil with all the leads removed? Yes...?

And with enough inductance, like a coil... some inexpensive DVMs to get confused by the inductive pickup from coil.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 26 Feb 2016 20:53 by missionkz.

More
26 Feb 2016 21:18 - 26 Feb 2016 21:26 #712692 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Ignition coil confirmation please

missionkz wrote: Are you testing the coil with all the leads removed? Yes...? . . . .

Often a good idea.
Where the leads are removable from the coil, measuring resistance between the secondary winding terminals at the coil itself may be used to rule out the possibility of invalid readings due to a bad connection between the coil and plug wire. And eliminates possible resistance for whatever reason (such as breakage and/or suppression core) within either plug wire or both plug wires.

But the coil at hand might be the type of some stock coils that have the leads (i.e., plug wires) permanently built-in as integrated components of the coil.

Solid metal core plug wires should not add resistance to an ohm reading when measured through the wires.

Suppression core (aka resistor) plug wires do add resistance to an ohm reading when measured through the wires.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 26 Feb 2016 21:26 by Patton.

More
27 Feb 2016 03:01 #712702 by Sardonicus
The meter is good and I have been testing with the caps off the wires. The wires are built into the coil so I can't remove them and retest. The ebay user I bought it from has already shipped out a replacement. They seemed satisfied with my testing. With any luck the next one wont pose any problems.

1976 KZ750 B1

More
29 Feb 2016 19:02 #713139 by Sardonicus
Replacement coil got here and I now have excellent spark - yay! That makes 2 out 3 now. Waiting on some fuel tank parts and I'll get to see if it'll run. Very exciting.

1976 KZ750 B1