Wired George Mod - No spark

More
22 Feb 2016 15:24 #712004 by krayneeum
Wired George Mod - No spark was created by krayneeum
Hey all,

Just finished the Wired George mod to my '77 KZ650.. and now it won't start. I can't even see any spark from my plugs! I have points, by the way. Kill switch was in the ON position.

I do get voltage to my coils, so my thought was maybe a bad relay-- I've ordered a new one already. Tried moving power from the starter relay straight to the battery, same with the ground. No luck. The only difference I made was that I merely connected my Y-split to the existing yellow wires instead of directly onto each coil-- shouldn't matter IMO, I just don't have "posts" on my coils, I have those slide on connectors.

From the relay pigtail #87, solder / shrink wrap a length of 18 ga. wire sufficiently long to reach the rear of the coils. At this point, solder / shrink wrap two wires that will each go to the front of one of the coils forming a “Y”. Install a blue crimp-on “eye” type connector onto each leg of the “Y” and install these connectors onto one of the two small lugs on each of the coils.

Any suggestions?? Any specific places I can stick a multimeter to read where I lose the connection?

Was hoping it would roar back to life, but instead I made it worse! :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2016 15:37 #712005 by Kapahulu
Replied by Kapahulu on topic Wired George Mod - No spark
It's not a complicated mod, though it might seem like it to us who aren't electricians. First thing I would do is run the wires back as they were originally and make sure the bike still runs as it should.

Here's a link to George's wiring diagram if you don't already have it: www.wgcarbs.com/index.php/using-joomla/e...-categories/89-coils

1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com

More
22 Feb 2016 18:36 #712029 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Wired George Mod - No spark
You say your getting voltage to the coils.
How much?
If close to 12 or over, the relay is working.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
22 Feb 2016 21:28 - 22 Feb 2016 21:29 #712048 by redhawk4
Replied by redhawk4 on topic Wired George Mod - No spark
It seems you must have something wired wrong, if the points etc. have not been touched, you were purely rewiring the 12v supply to the coils, then it should run if 12v are going to the coils, if you've run a wire directly from your battery to the coil supply and it's not going, the fault has to be how it's wired, because if the points are working there would have to be a spark.

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care
Last edit: 22 Feb 2016 21:29 by redhawk4.

More
22 Feb 2016 23:03 #712053 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Wired George Mod - No spark
Coil primary winding should reach ground through closed points.

Opening of points disconnects the ground, which causes the coil to fire.

When the coil fires, high voltage is supposed to travel through the secondary loop.
A break in the secondary loop, for whatever reason, prevents firing.
The break could be anywhere, such as coil>wire, wire>cap, cap>plug, defective wire, defective cap, defective plug, etc.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
23 Feb 2016 09:05 #712113 by krayneeum
Replied by krayneeum on topic Wired George Mod - No spark

rstnick wrote: You say your getting voltage to the coils.
How much?
If close to 12 or over, the relay is working.

When I checked it was at ~11.5V to the coils. This was after several minutes of hitting the starter button so I'm sure the battery drained a bit?

More
23 Feb 2016 09:22 #712118 by krayneeum

Patton wrote: Coil primary winding should reach ground through closed points.

Opening of points disconnects the ground, which causes the coil to fire.

When the coil fires, high voltage is supposed to travel through the secondary loop.
A break in the secondary loop, for whatever reason, prevents firing.
The break could be anywhere, such as coil>wire, wire>cap, cap>plug, defective wire, defective cap, defective plug, etc.

Good Fortune! :)

Thanks for the help! I can recheck my points gap to make sure, but it was firing before the mod.

As of this past year, these are new coils, new caps, new wire, and brand new plugs. I can reseat everything just to double check though.

I know it's not necessarily related to this issue, but part of me thinks my battery might need replacing.. I will give it a full charge and see what voltage it's at.

More
23 Feb 2016 09:29 #712121 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Wired George Mod - No spark
Remove the mod; it is not needed. Think about it - Kawasaki sold about a million KZ bikes without the mod and every single one ran fine when it was new - without the mod. So if your bike was running poorly or wasn't getting proper voltage to the coils the reason was obviously something other than the fact that the bike did not have the mod done to it. Remove the mod. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Feb 2016 10:45 #712136 by krayneeum

650ed wrote: Remove the mod; it is not needed. Think about it - Kawasaki sold about a million KZ bikes without the mod and every single one ran fine when it was new - without the mod. So if your bike was running poorly or wasn't getting proper voltage to the coils the reason was obviously something other than the fact that the bike did not have the mod done to it. Remove the mod. Ed

I appreciate the input Ed, but I'd like to give it chance to see if I yield any practical results. Obviously need to sort out a few things, and this is clearly only a bandaid solution, but this still seems like a worthwhile effort from the results other people have seen. I will be keeping the mod-- for now!

More
23 Feb 2016 12:39 #712146 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Wired George Mod - No spark
A coil is a two terminal instrument. If you have +12 on the hot side, check to see if you have the "point ground" line on the other terminal. Should ground with points closed and go open circuit when the points open.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Mar 2016 14:55 #713280 by krayneeum
Hey all,

Spent some time over the weekend working out the kinks, and I'm happy to say my coil mod was successful!!

It really is insane how much of a difference it made-- so much more power!!! Still have to fine tune the jetting and timing, but so far I'm really happy with the results.

Here's what I did:

1) Readjusted points with an old analog ohmmeter (still need to do dynamic timing test)
2) Checked and rechecked my wiring
3) Kickstarted the bike 27 times until it finally came to life haha

BUT, one issue remains it seems:
-- sometimes if I switch to handle switches from RUN from OFF and back to RUN again, the relay doesn't turn (I don't hear it click). I think I may be having some grounding issues inside the controls? Not sure what else would be causing this problem..

More
01 Mar 2016 17:19 #713319 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Wired George Mod - No spark

krayneeum wrote: It really is insane how much of a difference it made-- so much more power!!! ..

Then I would suspect the coil is bad.

1979 KZ-750 Twin