Z1 terminal guide

More
14 Feb 2016 07:19 #710667 by Shimmy
Z1 terminal guide was created by Shimmy
Hi guys,

I was planning to pick up some electrical terminals with my order from Z1 Enterprises but I haven't been able to decipher their naming scheme and haven't found anywhere else that uses it. Their usually good customer service doesn't want to answer that particular question for some reason.

Does anybody know how to tell what sizes they are? In particular, I'm curious about the widths of the spade-type bits, especially which ones correspond to the connectors on the stock coils on my '80 KZ750.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Feb 2016 07:56 #710670 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Z1 terminal guide
I think the standard blade connectors will work on the coils. The mini ones were the ones I wanted to order but I don't see them listed anymore.
Steve

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
14 Feb 2016 08:44 #710677 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Z1 terminal guide
Hey Shim, way up North! Can you ad a picture at all? I have a pile of connectors and a pile of old wiring harness parts if you feel like
splicing wire together. I don't know your models style.
Or do you mean just a flat blade female connector?
here is a cheap phone pic.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

More
15 Feb 2016 07:01 #710766 by Shimmy
Replied by Shimmy on topic Z1 terminal guide
Actually my thought was to make little adapters to attach the dyna coils (with ring-type connectors) to the stock wiring harness (with blade-type connectors), to make them easier to disconnect, add a bit of length, and keep the option open for using stock coils in the future. So it's the male connectors I need, but I also have a couple things in mind if I can get the types sorted.

There seem to be these three types on Z1 in what looks to be smallest to largest order:
www.z1enterprises.com/product/KL34-6940-10
www.z1enterprises.com/product/KL34-8963-10
www.z1enterprises.com/product/KL34-8967-10

I suppose I could try to find the connectors they correspond to on the bike and see how big the pins are in there, but it's damn cold in the shed at the moment. I could always get them from cycleterminal.com or something, I just figured I'd toss it in my Z1 order if I could to save some shipping.

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Feb 2016 07:13 #710767 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Z1 terminal guide
Those are the small ones I was talking about. They use to have the 9 pin. Do they have them too? I couldn't find them.
Steve

More
15 Feb 2016 08:11 #710772 by Shimmy
You mean this?
www.z1enterprises.com/product/KL34-6938-1

Strangely, the (medium-sized?) B5 terminal mentions it's used with that connector, but the connector says it uses the (small?) T2 terminals. :S

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

More
15 Feb 2016 08:54 - 16 Feb 2016 04:59 #710778 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Z1 terminal guide
The stock ign coil terminals are probably the same size as the large B9 terminal pins.
The 2 smaller pins might both fit the same connectors, but maybe use 2 different sizes of wire. just guessing. I checked the K&L catalogue, but they don't seem to have any specifications for the stuff. perhaps try calling K&L Supply.

For comparative purposes try looking around the CycleTerminal.com site, specifically the sumitomo/yakazi 250 & 110 connector pages. The site gives the actual sizes of the spade ends & also the wire gauge that the various pins use.

ps: be sure to use an open barrel crimper (not a generic mash crimper). the crimps are very strong. extra pins are handy for practicing or in case you mess up.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2016 04:59 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shimmy

More
16 Feb 2016 19:40 #711004 by Shimmy
Thanks for the pointers; I think I have the sizes sorted, just a couple uncertainties, but for the cost of them, I can just get a couple sizes and have extras just in case.

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta

More
29 Feb 2016 19:08 #713141 by Shimmy
For those wondering, the B9 male spade terminals are about 6mm or 0.235" wide. The B5 and T2 terminals are indistinguishable from each other, and are about 3mm or 0.111" wide. The female terminals B6 and T1 are slightly different from one another but fit both of these male terminals.

1980 KZ750 LTD
Edmonton, Alberta