Speedo no longer functional

More
15 Jan 2016 21:38 #706853 by rokit_armor
Speedo no longer functional was created by rokit_armor
Hey guys, i'm not sure how to test where and why my speedo isn't working correctly. When I first built the bike, the speedo *kinda* worked, as it when I was going a consistent speed it registered correctly, but upon any sort of change in speed up or down the needle would wildly bounce. Not a big problem as I could judge my speed by RPM and gear to get close. Now the speedo has stopped responding at all, just shows 0 all the time. How do I check the sending unit to see if it's still good? How can I check to see if the speedo is shot? (you can see the wild action, on my build thread page 2 linked in my signature)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2016 00:17 #706863 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Speedo no longer functional

rokit_armor wrote: Time to dig this thread out of the archives, lol

Back from the shop, completely roadworthy! Turns out some pin in the timing advance was all messed up, causing it to be 1/2" off. Timing was fine at idle, but when the advance kicked it, well pffbbbtttbbb. They also jetted the carb correctly(I wasn't too far off, with the advance working right). She's got some balls lemmetellya.

If you look close, my speedo is bouncing all over the place upon acceleration and deceleration. Steady speeds and it reads correct. Any ideas?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
16 Jan 2016 03:45 #706872 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic Speedo no longer functional

Patton wrote:

rokit_armor wrote: Time to dig this thread out of the archives, lol

Back from the shop, completely roadworthy! Turns out some pin in the timing advance was all messed up, causing it to be 1/2" off. Timing was fine at idle, but when the advance kicked it, well pffbbbtttbbb. They also jetted the carb correctly(I wasn't too far off, with the advance working right). She's got some balls lemmetellya.

If you look close, my speedo is bouncing all over the place upon acceleration and deceleration. Steady speeds and it reads correct. Any ideas?

I've had that same problem before. Bouncing erradical speedo readings. I removed my speedo cable, cleaned the inner cable, airhosed the inside of the cable body and both connections as best I could, relubed cable, install, and problem gone...smooth running speedo! My prob that instance was simply sticky cable that needed cleaned and relubed. Few people include tach and speedo cable maintenance in their periodic maintenance regimen. That's what worked for me that time. Good luck.................................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!

More
16 Jan 2016 04:19 #706874 by rrsmsw9999
Replied by rrsmsw9999 on topic Speedo no longer functional
Ditto on cable and fitting clean and lube, but also on these old gauges, there is a sealed oil component in the gauge mechanicals. The problem may not be serviceable and a new unit may be needed. R

1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rockranch

More
16 Jan 2016 04:29 - 16 Jan 2016 05:43 #706875 by Rockranch
I forgot to mention doing the same thing (clean and regrease) of the spedo drive gear on the front wheel is also a 'must do' on any old bike that not everyone considers or thinks of, and very beneficial to overall speedo mechanics. Next time you have the front wheel off, clean that gear assembly and inspect it for abnormalities before regreasing. If the problem persists, then the problem is in the speedo itself as afore mentioned. Best of luck............................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

Last edit: 16 Jan 2016 05:43 by Rockranch. Reason: unf

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Jan 2016 05:16 #706881 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Speedo no longer functional
The Z1/KZ speedo's don't have a oil filled damper on the shaft. They are weights. Another place to lube is the input shaft where the cable screws onto the shaft. Use a little spray grease to do it but don't do it upside down or you'll get grease on the glass. I have lots of posts about tach and speedo, tach etc. I wound up buying new ones. :dry:
Steve
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/597925-speedo?start=20#672364

More
16 Jan 2016 08:14 #706908 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Speedo no longer functional
I thought the 1100A had an electronic speedometer. If so, the wheel sensor may need cleaning or there may be a loose or corroded connection in the harness. A can of Deoxit and some small brushes may take care of the problem.
There could also be a loose solder joint inside the unit.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rockranch

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Jan 2016 08:29 #706913 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Speedo no longer functional
I didn't notice it was a 1100.
Never-mind. :whistle:
Steve

More
16 Jan 2016 09:27 #706928 by Rockranch
Me too even tho' seeing the vid. Though good food for thought none-the-less to all who see the posts. It is a problem that is not that uncommon and a tad bit of periodic maint can prevent....................................Mike

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

More
19 Jan 2016 18:09 #707328 by rokit_armor
Replied by rokit_armor on topic Speedo no longer functional
Hehe yes electric speedo. I had cleaned the sending unit and contacts really well, I was wondering if there was a way to use my DMM to test the circuitry.