79 KZ400ltd rectifier/regulator mystery wire

More
21 Sep 2015 19:20 #691273 by jjsuf
Hey guys,

I have the aforementioned bike which ran fine until I tried to commute to work today and the bike may have caught on fire (as per the person in traffic behind me).

It was smoking when I stopped so I pulled off the Left side cover and found the pictures below.

Attachment IMAG10931.jpg not found

Attachment IMAG10871.jpg not found

I wrapped the offending wire in electrical tape, tried my best to tape the parts of the other wire together, and luckily made it home without a recurrence of the fire.

So I know I need a new rectifier for the bike which I plan on buying tomorrow, but my question is where/what is this mystery wire?
I saw in another post it has to do with the starter solenoid, but where is it supposed to go? Is it something I melted off the bike on my ride today? (sorry for how dirty the bike is underneath)

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2015 02:58 - 22 Sep 2015 12:45 #691296 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 79 KZ400ltd rectifier/regulator mystery wire
The KZ400.com site has a manual & 400-H1 Ltd supplement w wiring diagram.
When the reg/rec fried, the red/white wire probably separated from it.

In the wiring diagram there is a red/white power wire that originates at the reg/rec. The diagram shows it going to a double-bullet connector. From there one r/w goes to the battery pos (+) terminal and another r/w goes to the main fuse box & is for the 20A main fuse.

In the 1st photo the double-bullet is visible, as is the broken r/w wire at the bottom. The r/w to the right of the double-bullet goes to either the main fuse box or the battery. The single r/w on the far end of the double-buttet is either for the battery or fuse box. It's possible the single bullet wire goes to the starter solenoid, instead of to the battery ---- trace it & report back. The starter solenoid is to the left of the double bullet.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2015 12:45 by martin_csr.

More
22 Sep 2015 05:07 #691314 by jjsuf
So looking at the wiring diagram and my bike, I was able to trace the R/W wires from the double bullet to the fuse box/battery and the single to the starter solenoid.

I was looking at different rectifiers online, do you think this one would work?
www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/1978-...-Regulator-Rectifier

I looked at the Oregon site and couldn't figure out if any of theirs would work.
Also is there any danger in continuing to ride the bike to work and back (~10m, 8mi ride) if I tape the r/w wire so it doesn't contact the rectifier and cause a fire?

Thanks for the help!

More
22 Sep 2015 05:41 #691322 by 650ed
I would contact the folks at Oregon (sales@OregonMotorcycleParts.com). When I bought my rectifier from them I found them extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
22 Sep 2015 09:50 #691364 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic 79 KZ400ltd rectifier/regulator mystery wire
Also is there any danger in continuing to ride the bike to work and back (~10m, 8mi ride) if I tape the r/w wire so it doesn't contact the rectifier and cause a fire?

20 mile work communte, I guess somewhere between 30 mins and an hour's riding. It seems you have a YB12 battery, same as the 550/650/750...thats 12 amp hours capacity. Thinking a 4 amp current drain gives you 3 hours -assuming you don't have the lights on. In reality call it half that allowing for battery aging, and the ignitions like a full 12.5 Volts plus . or they can misfire.

So yes I say you'll be ok, if in doubt bring a charger and recharge in your lunch break.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
25 Sep 2015 12:08 #691898 by jjsuf
Update: rode the bike to and from work with no problem. I approximated the wires and the bike ran just fine, no fires, no shorts.
I just got the rectifier I linked above and it works great. I just need to get some longer bolts to bolt it onto the bike and I'm back in business. Thanks for the help guys!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Sep 2015 13:31 #691905 by SWest
Now that's one of the better Cafe mods I've seen. It doesn't hurt the eyes. B)
Steve