Li-ion Battery

More
01 Oct 2015 11:21 #692847 by Bowman
Replied by Bowman on topic Li-ion Battery
Oops. Got one of these Shindengen kits and Motoelectrix advises it won't work with my charging system as the KZ750 has a field coil instead of a permanent magnet system. However... It seems to me the problem I'm trying to solve is the old r/r would fry my new Li-ion battery. So if I installed the new MOSFET r/r I get a nice rectified and regulated current to charge the battery and kept the old regulator circuited through the field coil to power all the lights etc I should be OK? Can't have too many regulators no?

Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
02 Oct 2015 03:59 #692943 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic Li-ion Battery

Bowman wrote: Oops. Got one of these Shindengen kits and Motoelectrix advises it won't work with my charging system as the KZ750 has a field coil instead of a permanent magnet system. However... It seems to me the problem I'm trying to solve is the old r/r would fry my new Li-ion battery. So if I installed the new MOSFET r/r I get a nice rectified and regulated current to charge the battery and kept the old regulator circuited through the field coil to power all the lights etc I should be OK? Can't have too many regulators no?

Why run two? Cant' you just run everything off the new r/r?

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

More
02 Oct 2015 05:29 - 02 Oct 2015 05:31 #692974 by Bowman
I'm well over my head here but my trusty manual tells me that the stock regulator sends a switched current to the field coil turning it off and on as necessary to keep the dynamo output at 14-15V.

The new MOSFET unit is wired to the output of the dynamo and after it does its r/r duties it sends a + to the battery to charge it and a - to ground.

So if I get rid of the old regulator I no longer will be switching the field coil on and off (if that matters) but it also sends current to everything else (lights etc.). If I can live without switching the field coil I suppose I could jumper the output of the new MOSFET unit to the now unused + and - that were connected to the old regulator?

Alternativelydoes anyone know of a modern r/r unit that plays nice with a charging system that has a field coil?

79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)
Last edit: 02 Oct 2015 05:31 by Bowman. Reason: Typo

More
02 Oct 2015 06:26 #692978 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Li-ion Battery
I would start by taking a look at the 1976 KZ750-B1 wiring diagram to see the number of wires running from the generator to the rectifier (you will see there are 3 yellow wires because the bike has a 3-phase charging system). Then I would determine if my new combo rectifier/regulator has the capability to attach those 3 yellow wires. If it does not, it will not play nice with the generator.

Take a look at the link below. It contains the wiring diagram for the 1976 KZ750-B1. Ed

kz750twins.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/kz750b1.jpg

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 Oct 2015 06:44 #692983 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Li-ion Battery

baldy110 wrote: Been using one for about 7 years now on my ELR, bought the battery in 2008. It has never been on a charger and I do not do anything to it during the winter just ignore it. Every spring it fires the bike up like new. Expensive but with going on 7 years of use I am very happy with it.
It was not a drop in replacement but wasn't to hard to get it to work. When I need a new one I will buy another.

With this track record how can you go wrong....... will seriously think about this when my fairly new standard one dies. Outstanding bike of the month too. ;)

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
02 Oct 2015 06:47 - 02 Oct 2015 13:29 #692984 by Bowman
Yes indeed the wiring diagram (and the bike) has 3 yellow wires coming from the generator. The new r/r has a three pin connector meant to accept those 3 yellow wires and a 2 pin connector they say should be routed (+) to the battery (+) terminal and (-) to ground.

I guess at this point I'm wondering if I have a properly regulated and rectified current going to the battery and I ditch the old regulator then all that means is I'm no longer cycling the field coil off and on, it will always be off. [strike]Does this matter?[/strike]

OK, that was a stupid question now that I've read a bit and beginning to understand how my generator works. Sent an email to oregonmotorcycleparts.com to see if they have any ideas.

79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)
Last edit: 02 Oct 2015 13:29 by Bowman. Reason: Stupidity

More
02 Oct 2015 15:42 #693071 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Li-ion Battery

Bowman wrote: I'm well over my head here but my trusty manual tells me that the stock regulator sends a switched current to the field coil turning it off and on as necessary to keep the dynamo output at 14-15V.

That is the "modern" style of regulation used in most cars alternators. There are two coils: the spinning armature coil and the static field coil. By varying the small current through the field coil you control and adjust the large current in the other coil which feeds the electrical system load. This design only supplies what you need.

The old motorcycles were different: the coil windings crank out full current and there is a shunt that passes the excess to ground. It's kind of wasteful because it essentially runs wide open and shunts what isn't going to the system load to ground but it was cheap and it worked.

1979 KZ-750 Twin