My bike keeps killing horns.

More
23 Aug 2015 07:48 #686822 by djturnz
My bike keeps killing horns. was created by djturnz
Last year for inspection, my horn chirped, but not reliably. They passed it contingent that I order a replacement. The new one came and I put it on. It makes sort of a pop noise, but no horn sound. I figured that's what a Chinese horn is worth, so I figured I'd get something better later.

So I recently bought an oem horn from a Gixxer on ebay. Hooked it up this morning. It honked great. So I swapped the mounting bracket and I tightened everything up. Then the horn honked one more time, and started the same popping noise. I measure 11v when the horn button is pressed.

How am I killing my horns?

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Aug 2015 08:07 #686824 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic My bike keeps killing horns.
The button completes the ground. Clean up the switch block so it makes good contact with the bar, then try it.
Steve

More
23 Aug 2015 08:19 #686826 by JR
Replied by JR on topic My bike keeps killing horns.
What's the voltage at your battery ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
23 Aug 2015 09:53 #686830 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic My bike keeps killing horns.
Try jumping a temporary ground wire, then a battery live, to the horn terminals and see if it is a power supply problem on both or either side, I'd expect a bit of battery volt drop but 11v sounds quite a lot...points to power supply issues. Your battery voltage on a non running bike shouldn't drop too much on a 5 amp load, if you put the lights on high beam, for example.

Horns take a lot of current, they are wired through a relay on most other 12v vehicle electrics.
The switchgear contacts and handlebar wiring on these is uprated to compensate.

You can also tune the horn note, I think twin horns the notes should be a 3rd or 5th apart and sound in harmony.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
The following user(s) said Thank You: daless