anyone have a quick answer for horn wiring hiccup?

More
18 Jul 2015 14:11 #681530 by mac0239
Just put in a new wire harness in bike. Made it myself cuz god only knows where a person could find a NEW replacemnt harness on this planet, and I looked all over. basically made exact clone of old one and labeled every connector etc.
Got it all back in and believe it or not it all worked and fired up, had to pinch myself.
EXCEPT, I managed to match up 99% of wires but somehow didn't mark or lost track of where what wires go to horn. you would think it would be simple and I would just have two wires left over but not so. I have a few wires left and no matter what way I hook em up no horn. put 12v on horn and it works, is a new one. Scratching my head even looking at wire diagram in shop manual. there is a three prong relay(?) strapped to frame under tank, is that part of equation? tried different combos on that and no luck. took horn button swt out and seems fine too. kinda lame I can do complete rebuild f my bike and a rewire and am lost with a horn set up...I know, shame. would like to ride for first time this year so if anyone is familiar with where specifically wires from horn go to or can draw me a simple picture I would be forever grateful. and yes I did a search in forum to see if someone had already posted same situation/answer, no luck. If there is one I missed and you have the post send it my way. tks bros.
steve

Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2015 14:43 - 18 Jul 2015 14:44 #681533 by martin_csr
From the wiring diagrams I've seen, the horn has a brown wire from the brown wire circuit & a black/white wire that goes to the horn button.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2015 14:44 by martin_csr.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Jul 2015 14:47 #681535 by SWest

More
18 Jul 2015 15:26 #681540 by mac0239
Yup the horn button completes the ground, i noticed that in wire diagram and I was pretty sure it was a brown and black wire that connected to the horn but were they specifically connected to from the horn is my issue. there are a few things I could connect to possibly and so far none do the trick. do they go to a lead? to a pin connector? to that 3 prong relay looking thing that is strapped up above coils? of course I have the only 79 KZ!000 I know of round here or I would go look at someone's to see how where the wires went on theirs. love tinkering on my bike like everyone does but there is a limit where I have to actually go mow lawn, see my family, eat etc. ha ha. this wire hunt is taking waaay too long. any more tips or leads are welcome. cheers

Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

More
18 Jul 2015 16:11 #681550 by mac0239
and does anyone know what this thing does? It is above the coils. is it a relay and if so what for? thinking this is part of my horn mystery since it had a brown and black wire going to it but there is a third prong free for ???? I may start drinking soon here...lol :unsure: :unsure: :

Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Jul 2015 16:17 #681552 by SWest
That doesn't belong on the bike. If it's a relay you might be able to use it. I installed a relay for my duel horns. The button can't handle both. I'd test the button to see if it making ground when pushed. Trace that wire and connect it to the - side of the horn. Run a + wire to the hot coming out of the ignition switch.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: mac0239

More
18 Jul 2015 16:31 #681553 by mac0239
THANK YOU STEVE!!!!!! I was starting to wonder if this part was even part of the bike as it runs without it and I bet you are spot on. who knows what or why was added to this beast in it's previous 30 yrs by whoever as I have just had it for about 5-6 yrs and never really got deep into certain parts like this until I decided to rewire to vanish some gremlins. On a side note I found two wires that make the horn work if I connect a ground from battery to black wire at horn button. Success. but button does not get me ground so in process now of cleaning contacts and attempting to remove the world's smallest snapring to clean it better inside. not sure how even the tiniest japanese factory worker got that snapring on back in 79. may need a microscope to perform this operation...lol. tks again for clearing up the mystery part. cheers.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Jul 2015 17:22 #681555 by SWest
Try spraying contact cleaner or carb spray in there. I wouldn't take it apart if I didn't have to. Check the solder connection.
Steve
Oh, you're welcome. :laugh:

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
19 Jul 2015 00:33 - 19 Jul 2015 00:34 #681594 by gd4now
Are your handlebars painted? If so the button may not be able to make a good enough connection to ground to complete the circuit.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Last edit: 19 Jul 2015 00:34 by gd4now.

More
19 Jul 2015 01:17 #681596 by mac0239
you nailed it. triplechecked wires, took apart and cleaned switch/button etc. no luck. but when i ran a wire from ground on battery to switch the horn worked perfect. handlebars are new and painted so ground unable to connect. I scraped some paint off bars under switch mount and put switches back on and voila, Horn worked perfect. I did a lot of cleaning and used deoxit and probably never needed to do any of it, just scrape paint off. damn, oh well at least I know I have new wires and spotless contacts to boot.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More