Please help troubleshooting electrical problem

More
18 Jul 2015 17:19 - 18 Jul 2015 17:41 #681554 by FlatJohnny
Replied by FlatJohnny on topic Please help troubleshooting electrical problem
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I have finally had a chance to get to look at the bike this afternoon and I have a couple further questions.

firstly, the coils are both brand new as are the sparkplug wires, and i've triple checked that they are installed correctly. how likely is it that one of the new coils is no good? is there a good way to test that without the bike being able to start?

my understanding is that on the 1980 h1, the tacho is a mechanical.

When the bike was running, the voltmeter in the gauge cluster would fluctuate quickly and sometimes wildly without a discernable pattern. my thoughts suggest that might be related to a faulty voltage regulator, would that cause this problem? is there a way to test the regulator/rectifier without the bike running correctly?

I'm not really sure how to check the switches and connections other than visually. I've opened both handlebar controls and checked for burns/melting/corrosion etc, and both sides seem fine.

putting a multimeter on the fuse block: the three fuses read 12V, when the ignition key is on,[strike] but the main fuse continues to read 12V even when the ignition key is off! [/strike] is there something I can infer from this, like the location of the fault?

EDIT: I was just measuring the fuse wrong. there is no voltage when the key is off

i pulled the back off the ignition switch, with the key off, a white wire in the centre reads 12v, all others read 0v. with the key on, all wires read 12v when connected to ground.

the start switch works as far as i can tell. resistance drops from infinity to about 200 ohms when i push it.

with the key on the start/run switch reads 12v regardless of which position it is in

the clutch switch works

with the ignition key on, the coils read 12v at all 4 connectors when connected to ground

I really struggle to understand automotive electrics beyond the most basic concepts. I'm not really sure what else to test, or really how to test it.

any more advice?

thanks again

1980 KZ750 LTD
Last edit: 18 Jul 2015 17:41 by FlatJohnny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Jul 2015 17:34 #681556 by SWest
Bypass the clutch switch. The back of the ignition switch can become loose. It is only stamped (swedged) on. You can tighten it by Bending the tabs with a hammer and punch. Check all your plug in connections. Can be dirty or burned. Lube everything with spray grease or water proof grease.
Steve

More
18 Jul 2015 19:02 #681567 by TexasKZ
Deoxit 5 and some small brass brushes will do wonders for dirty connectors. You can get Deoxit at Radio Shack and electrical supply stores.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
18 Jul 2015 19:12 #681568 by 650ed
+1

Attachment DEOXIT-4.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments: