new to the kawi an seriously frustrated already

• 81 kz440d bobbed
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 May 2015 18:44 #671662 by 81 kz440d bobbed
new to the kawi an seriously frustrated already was created by 81 kz440d bobbed
Hey guys just licked up a pretty awesome kz440d the other day from ct and its totally bobbered out no signal lights speedo doesnt work cuz lack of a cable well im havin a few problems and hoping you guys could help out

Im trying to hook up rear signal lights and ive tried all i can think of i replaced the flasher relay by the fuse block and still get only a constant feed to the lights and the dash indicators dont even blink im trying to run led strips from autozone and figured that might be a prob but when i hook up a regular light still nothi g tried an aftermarket relay and got constant power but less light so thats one issue

The other is the brake indicator is blinking and the brake lights always on and i cant seem to figure that out either so if anyone has any advice please feel free to throw it my way

And if anyone if you kind fellas are anywhere near me in dutchess county ny and would be willing to lend a hand id greatly appreciate it thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 81 kz440d bobbed
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 May 2015 18:46 #671664 by 81 kz440d bobbed
Replied by 81 kz440d bobbed on topic new to the kawi an seriously frustrated already
Try an post a pic of the new baby hope i can get her into runnin shape very soon
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 May 2015 18:48 #671665 by SWest

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
11 May 2015 19:10 #671671 by 650ed
If you are using the stock flasher relay with LED lights they will not blink. Try a Tridon/Stant 552 2 prong flasher. They are available for cheap at almost any car parts store. It is an electronic flasher rather than one that is dependent on resistance. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richardb98

• 81 kz440d bobbed
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 May 2015 19:24 #671676 by 81 kz440d bobbed
Replied by 81 kz440d bobbed on topic new to the kawi an seriously frustrated already
I tried a novita e12 wich i believe is a electronic relay but it stayed constant on both sides

More
11 May 2015 20:03 #671688 by kz10006
Are you trying to get these to blink while the bike is running. Some times when the bike is off you will not get the lights to blink because there is not enough power going to the lights. Also when mounting the led lights you will need load resistors they mount inline and will make the leds blink no problem.

More
11 May 2015 20:28 #671693 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic new to the kawi an seriously frustrated already
If the blinkers will not cycle because the engine isn't running.... ever.... you have other problems and one of them is NOT the engine isn't running.

Also... why would you think putting a resistor in series (in line?) with the LEDs would draw more current through the flasher relay?

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
11 May 2015 21:56 #671698 by kz10006
When the motor is not running at times there is not enough voltage going through the system to make the stock signals flash.

The reason you put a resistor in line is your stock system needs the extra resistance to work with the flashers that are on the bike, The leds do not have enough resistance and without the resistance the leds will never flash.

More
12 May 2015 02:04 #671711 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic new to the kawi an seriously frustrated already
OK.
I've never had a bike that would not run the flashers with the engine running at idle if the electrical system was anywhere near up to snuff.
Maybe if you had a weak charging system, crummy battery and a headlight you can't shut off?

LED turn signals.
I'm very doubtful of this added resistor comment.
I can not think of way any resistor can be used to increase current through the standard flasher relay, and still deliver 10v-12v to the turn signal LEDs.
A resistor in series would make it worse.
More series resistance limits the current and takes the load off the mechanical flasher relay unit.
Maybe I don't understand where this resistor is going.
Keep in mind I have NO experience with the LED turn signals but LEDs draw hardly any current each... a single LED can turn on full blast with 1.2v across it at 10ma-20ma of current.
I don't know how many actual LEDs junctions are in these LED turn signals (and other lights like this) but current through the flasher relay is what causes the switch to open and close.
I'm pretty sure that is why you need a solid state flashing unit which would turn and on and off with very little current across it's circuit.
Does anyone have actual experience with this rather then reading something on the NET and never even trying it?
I suspect most of us have never used the LEDs in place of incandescent bulbs.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
12 May 2015 05:25 - 12 May 2015 05:26 #671717 by TexasKZ
There is every likelihood that a 35 year old electrical system on a bike that has been bobbed by a previous owner has multiple problems. A careful, systematic diagnosis of each component and sub-system is needed. A decent multi-function volt-ampere-Ohm meter and a genuine Kawasaki factory service manual will be invaluable.
While you are searching for a fsm, you can use the diagnostics posted on this site by MFolks to get started.
A great deal of patience will make it all go more smoothly.

Have you had the battery load tested? Have you checked each ground connection to insure a clean, tight connection? Checked the switch gear for loose or broken solder joints? Checked all the wire connections for dirt and corrosion? Broken or frayed wires? Completely missing wires? Missing sections of the wire harness?

Systematic testing, patience and a fsm.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 12 May 2015 05:26 by TexasKZ.

More
12 May 2015 05:34 #671718 by TexasKZ
A couple of guys around here have converted to LED lighting. It does not require a degree in electrical engineering, but a properly functioning electrical system is a must.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough