how bad will loose spark plugs make it run?

More
05 May 2015 20:17 #670828 by 60ratrod
so i have been having an issue with my kz1000m1 with low speed stumbling. it popped up about 2 weeks ago and i found some bad throttle seals. so i ordered and replaced all 8 seals on my bs34ss carbs and finally got them back together and back on(there were some other self-induced issues like mia float needles and buggered pilots :blush: ). so i go for a test ride after getting the carbs back on and the problem is still there, only now it's popping out of the exhaust. initially i found i needed to tighten the boot clamps, even there were no evident leaks, and the boots are brand new last year, no cracks and still nice and soft. so i pull it back into the garage since i can't find any leaks and decide to look into the ignition. i test volts at the coils, good there at 11.8vdc, battery showing 12.2 vdc. next i go to pull the plugs and see how the spark is, and found all 4 loose to the point i could have used the socket with extention with no ratchet to take them all out, and the plugs haven't been out since last year. the spark is nice and fat purple/blue, so i'm good there. but could i have found my culprit with the loose plugs?

Active Duty US Navy Aviation Ordnanceman Petty Officer First Class

81 kz1000m1 csr "Sarge"

81 Suzuki gs650g "Shelah"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 May 2015 20:22 #670829 by SWest

More
05 May 2015 20:46 #670830 by 60ratrod
Replied by 60ratrod on topic how bad will loose spark plugs make it run?
threads are good and tightened back down just fine, but unfortuneatly not the problem. moving this to carbs

Active Duty US Navy Aviation Ordnanceman Petty Officer First Class

81 kz1000m1 csr "Sarge"

81 Suzuki gs650g "Shelah"

More
06 May 2015 05:09 #670858 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic how bad will loose spark plugs make it run?
If popping through the exhaust on deceleration, could try slightly enriching the pilot circuit in each carb (say 1/4 turn), and test ride.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD