no power when key is turned on

• toyotakzrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Apr 2015 05:23 #668006 by toyotakzrider
no power when key is turned on was created by toyotakzrider
Hello everyone. I have my 82 csr twin and I've been having this intermittent problem that when I turn the key on its just dead. No power at all. Prior to today I could throw a charger on it and it would work again. Even though the battery is new and in perfect condition. Well. Last night it did it again after I shut it off after adjusting my headlight. So I put it on the charger like I do every night anyway and this morning it was just dead. Charger showed full battery.
Do I have an ignition switch problem or is there some kind of other relay or module hiding that could cause this?

Any help would be appreciated
Eric
82 750 csr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2015 05:35 #668007 by toolmaker
Replied by toolmaker on topic no power when key is turned on
My KZ900 did that once - it was a wire that de-soldered itself in the kill switch.

I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

• toyotakzrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Apr 2015 05:39 #668008 by toyotakzrider
Replied by toyotakzrider on topic no power when key is turned on
I don't have a kill switch the previous owner broke it and bypassed it

More
15 Apr 2015 05:59 - 15 Apr 2015 06:02 #668011 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic no power when key is turned on
If not already done, would check integrity of the ground connection where the negative battery cable attaches to rear of engine.

Need to determine where positive battery voltage is being interrupted after it leaves the positive battery post. Look for corroded connectors.

Here are some places to check for voltage.

Sometimes the fuse looks good, but is defective anyhow, or the wiring clips into and out of the fuse may be corroded so as to make only intermittent contact.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2015 06:02 by Patton.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Apr 2015 06:54 #668018 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic no power when key is turned on
Yeah my mini air compressor had a bad fuse. It looked good. I put in a spare one from my bike and aired up my tire. Can't always tell by looking. The switch can have a bad connection. The terminal plate can become loose with the wires being pulled and pushed back. If it is, you can re tighten it by crimping the swedges on the housing with a punch.
Steve

• toyotakzrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Apr 2015 17:36 #668115 by toyotakzrider
Replied by toyotakzrider on topic no power when key is turned on
thank you everyone for your assistance. I did discover the problem. The main fuse terminals were pretty bad. So temporarily I pulled those wires out and converted the main fuse to an ATC style fuse in a waterproof housing. I will order a triple fuse holder shortly and replace them all at that point. Oh yea, I did put a new glass fuse in it before I modified anything and it was so intermittent that it was better to just modify it and update it at the same time.]

Thanks again,

You all are great on this forum

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More