Help me 'Electrical Gurus'!

More
03 Aug 2014 22:06 #642619 by Wosmo
Help me 'Electrical Gurus'! was created by Wosmo
I'm working on my '77 KZ400D4 and I've decided to 'upgrade' the electrical system if I can so, if any of you guys know anything about electrical systems for vintage bikes and, better yet, specifically on my bike, I'm looking for your help!

Here's what I want to do:
Replace (upgrade if appropriate) the wiring harness. What guage should I use? Connectors? Where could I improve it?
Replace the old buss fuses with blade fuses/breakers/relays, etc.
Add an outlet if possible (old style 'lighter socket' or usb port).
Upgrade systems where I can. I'm not looking to add an LED headlight or ground lights but maybe an led taillight? Improve the ignition system if possible, etc.
Ensure everything is in good condition using the right materials and getting the best results from my electrical system.

What I'm looking for:
Common mods on the electrical system. Anything that's been tried and the pros and cons.
What would you use? What will it get me?
What would you do/what would you leave alone?
Basically, anything that'll help a nearly 40 year old bike perform like a 4 year old bike without costing as much as a 4 year old bike.

I'm not an electrician but I'm okay mechanically. If you can explain how and why for me it'd be a big help and, better yet, give me a walk-through. If not, that's ok, too. Even a nod in the right direction would be appreciate.
Thanks in advance!

Building a happy home, one bike at a time...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2014 00:20 #642624 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Help me 'Electrical Gurus'!
I changed the brake light and turn signals to 3W Luxeon LEDs. You have to install a solid state flasher. I also changed the headlight to halogen.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
04 Aug 2014 10:01 #642644 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Help me 'Electrical Gurus'!
I'd do this first, before making up a new harness:

Cleaning Motorcycle Electrics

Get some of the De-Oxit electrical contact cleaner and figure on spending a good day going from the front of the bike to the back. It’s a plastic safe cleaner/preservative. www.deoxit.com is their website.

On the older Kawasaki's, a majority of electrical connectors are inside the headlight housing requiring removal of the headlight, then the fun begins.

Do one set of electrical connectors at a time to avoid mixing up what connects to where. Usually disconnecting, spraying with De-Oxit and reconnecting is about all you'll need.

However, when encountering the green crud of corrosion, a brass wire brush may be needed on the pins you can reach.
Some 400-600 grit wet and dry sandpaper strips rolled into a tube should reach the male and female pins in the more difficult to clean connectors.

Smoker’s pipe cleaners, cotton swabs and wooden toothpicks work as cleaning aids.

Really small electrical connectors may require the use of a welders tip cleaning tool assortment.

Most pins in the connectors are coated with a thin plating of tin, and others may be nothing more than copper or brass.

If moisture is added, the resulting corrosion lowers the voltage/current being carried causing dim lights, slow engine cranking, slow turn signal responce and lower input voltage to the ignition coils resulting in weak spark.

The left and right handlebar switch pods will need attention too as they have circuit functions like turn, horn, run/stop, and start.

Usually a spritz or two with actuation of the switch is about all needed for these switches unless corrosion is detected and then careful disassembly is required.

The ignition switch may or may be not sealed to allow spraying the internal contacts. I urge caution if attempting to open this up as springs, and ball bearings may fly out never to be seen again!

If your bike has the older style glass tubed fuses, I suggest replacing them as vibration can cause internal failure. AGX is the type used, and most auto parts stores can get them for you.

Clean the fuse holder clips, looking for signs of overheating(discolored insulation, signs of melting).
I use metal polish on a cotton swab, followed by spraying another clean swab with the De-Oxit and then rubbing the inside of the fuse clip.

All battery cables must be clean and tight for maximum current transfer. Check the cables going from the Negative(-) battery terminal/post to the engine mounting bolt

Also the one going from the Positive(+) terminal to the starter solenoid and from there to the starter motor.

If any battery cable feels ”Crunchy” when flexed, replace it as possible corrosion is inside the insulation.

Each "Bullet Connector" will have to be sprayed to ensure good connectivity, especially the ones going to the energizing coil of the starter solenoid.

The alternator output “Bullet Connectors” are usually behind the engine sprocket cover and will need inspecting and cleaning too.

The turn signal light sockets will benefit from a spritz from the contact cleaner along with the tail light/brake light socket.

Some brake light switches can be sprayed on the actuating rod, with the spray running down inside to the electrical contacts, others may be sealed requiring replacement if the switch is intermittent in operation.

Some people put the Di-Electric Grease on cleaned terminations/connectors, I don’t, as I’ve read/heard it can cause problems when it gets hot, actually insulating the connections, so the choice is yours to use or not.

I think I've covered about all of the electrical systems on the bike.........

“I spent a weekend going through every electrical connection and switch on the bike with a little scotchbrite pad and DeOxit - what a difference! Everything was brighter, gauge backlights, indicator lights, turn signals, I was getting a nicer spark, it fired up quicker, etc. Well worth my time. WELL worth it! “
From a forum member at www.kzrider.com

Re: Cleaning the many and various Motorcycle electrics.
I used the De-oxit D-5 spray on all the electrical connections of my 78 Kz1000 that had sat for twenty years .

When I parked the bike in 92 I was starting to have troubles with some of the electrical system, but after pulling everything apart and giving it a spray , reconnecting the connectors and working them back and forth a few times, then gave them another shot of spray to wash them off before the final reconnection.

Everything still works perfectly and has for over 7000 miles this year.

I am extremely happy with the results , a lot of the connectors were green when I started and after the cleaning they looked new ( shiny gold )

I found the Deoxit D-series, D-5 spray in a 4 oz can at a big electronics store called Frys in Illinois, don't get the small cans at Radio Shack , they are different and meant for computer type stuff.

store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

Trust MFolks , the guy's a true rocket scientist and really knows what he's talking about.
JD

If there's evidence of extensive damage, you might be forced to build a replacement, the difficulty will be in getting the striped wires in the colors and gauges you need.

I'd use the following gauges for the circuits:
18 gauge, for the turn signals , instrument lights, & brake and tail lights.
16 gauge, for ignition circuits(Ignition coils).
14 gauge, for the headlight circuit.
12 gauge, for the wire going from the rectifier/regulator to the battery.
6 gauge for all heavy duty cables(that's what you call them), from the battery, to high current areas, like the starter solenoid & to the starter motor, and to the engine mounting bolt, for the Negative battery cable.

Welding cable is sold by the foot, so careful measurement is needed before purchasing it. Some welding supply places can also crimp/swage on the terminal ends for you, but if they can't, try a battery supply store, or a place that works on electric golf carts or vehicles.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tomolu5, Wosmo

More
04 Aug 2014 21:40 #642705 by Wosmo
Replied by Wosmo on topic Help me 'Electrical Gurus'!
:blush: Apparently I was a little loopy when I typed my original post it should have read "upgrade (replace if appropriate) the wiring harness". I know that making a new harness can be frustrating work and is usually a waste of time and money. What I actually had in mind was adding some relays (horn, headlight, etc), connector upgrades, fuse block upgrade, etc. An acquaintance on another forum (who, iirc, is an electrical eng. undergrad) came up with loose plan for the undertaking. What he doesn't have is direct experience with the KZ400 (he's a Honda guy :whistle: ). He also gave me some general advice. Almost exactly the same advice you gave (with a lot less detail! ;) ). I admit, I wouldn't necessarily have thought of methodically working through the whole bike from one end to the other. :unsure: It seems so obvious now!

When it comes to cleaning, I'm a big fan of a rotary tool (I have a small cordless Dremel) with abrasive bits and/or polishing pads and Brasso, wire brushes and sandpaper, and pencil erasers (I learned that one in the Army cleaning radio contacts - it works wonders on copper and brass). I've never had a lot of luck with electrical contact cleaners but I might check out this De-Oxit.

Building a happy home, one bike at a time...

More
04 Aug 2014 23:19 - 04 Aug 2014 23:20 #642710 by bountyhunter
The biggest improvement I made to my 750B wiring was to add a relay so that when I crank the starter, all the electrical loads get disconnected from the battery except the ignition. That increased my battery life from about 18 months average to about 5 - 6 years.

Relay for the headlight? Won't make a whole lot of difference if the wiring, connectors and fuses/switches are OK.

Putting in relays to bypass wiring is usually a band aid to avoid fixing the real problem.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 04 Aug 2014 23:20 by bountyhunter.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
05 Aug 2014 01:44 #642718 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Help me 'Electrical Gurus'!

bountyhunter wrote: The biggest improvement I made to my 750B wiring was to add a relay so that when I crank the starter, all the electrical loads get disconnected from the battery except the ignition. That increased my battery life from about 18 months average to about 5 - 6 years.

Relay for the headlight? Won't make a whole lot of difference if the wiring, connectors and fuses/switches are OK.

Putting in relays to bypass wiring is usually a band aid to avoid fixing the real problem.

Whoa this sounds awesome. do you have a drawing of what you did? I would be interested in doing this on some of my KZs

More
05 Aug 2014 12:28 #642753 by bountyhunter

DoctoRot wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: The biggest improvement I made to my 750B wiring was to add a relay so that when I crank the starter, all the electrical loads get disconnected from the battery except the ignition. That increased my battery life from about 18 months average to about 5 - 6 years.

Whoa this sounds awesome. do you have a drawing of what you did? I would be interested in doing this on some of my KZs

I actually never made a drawing. On my bike, there are two 8A fuses that handle the two "load branches". One is the headlight and a couple of small lights, the other is the horn, brake light, turn signals etc. I inserted a normally closed relay into each power line down at the fuse box so that the power to the relay coil comes from the +12V line that powers the starter relay. Anytime I hit the starter, the two relays I added open up and disconnect everything except the ignition power which is fed before the two 10A branches that power everything else.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctoRot