Replacing coils in my KZ650B2

More
21 Jun 2014 14:54 #637423 by OLKZ
Replied by OLKZ on topic Replacing coils in my KZ650B2
B) I think I have that noise taken care of. I think maybe the drive chain was too tight. I might have been hearing bearing noise. I readjusted the drive chain and rode around for 45 minutes and it was fine. It's raining off and on so I didn't really shake it down.

But I probably need new sprockets and chain. The reason for the misadjustment in the first place is that there's a lot of chain slack in places, but rolling the rear tire to another spot reduces that slack to almost nothing. That's how it got too tight in the first place-- I thought I had where it was pretty tight, but there were spots where it was tighter.

1978 KZ650B2 - Blue - runs!
New Dyna-S ignition & coils 6-2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2014 15:52 #637433 by me109g4
Replied by me109g4 on topic Replacing coils in my KZ650B2
My chain and sprockets were well worn by the time I hit 24K. I would suggest the chain and sprockets be replaced all at the same time, as by only changing some of the components will lead to excessive wear on the new parts.

Going back to the coils, today I let the bike run while I took a garden hose to the coils and wires,, with the old coils/wires the bike would quit as soon as the water hit the coils but with the new set up the water had no affect whatsoever on its running. The bikes does not go out in inclement weather but now if I do get caught out in the rain I don't have to worry anymore about it dying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.