Help Disassembling Speedometer and Tach Gauges

• TomasDouglas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2014 00:24 #632817 by TomasDouglas
I want to re-paint the gauges on the 1980 KZ550A I am re-building after sanding the rust off but I can't figure out how to take the insides out of the steel shell. I don't want to damage them and if I can't figure out how to get the inner guts our I will just try to tape the front glass and inside back and spray carefully. I would appreciate any tips or help.

Thanks Tomas

Attachment IMG_0335.jpg not found

Tomas Douglas
1980 KZ 550A
1986 GPZ 550
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2014 00:38 #632818 by peter1958
The following user(s) said Thank You: TomasDouglas

More
18 May 2014 02:57 #632820 by Patton
Here's a diy option from an earlier thread ---

duncan wrote:
i've taken the tach apart but not the speedo. it's real easy if you use a dremel to cut the chrome ring, and then some jweld and hose clamp to cement it back together.

apeman wrote:
The old article suggests removing the band around the gauges by levering it up from the underside. I have found that results in too much damage to the band to make it look good after it is put back on, and crimped down. Therefore, I instead took a dremel with a cut-off wheel to the band, and sliced through it, being carefull not to damage the gauge cover. Then I slipped off the band, and did my gauge clean-up. To reinstall, I assembled the cover onto the gauge, slipped the band on, and held it tightly in place with a rubber band. Then I placed a drop of JBweld epoxy onto the gap in the band, and let it dry. (Make sure you mount the gap in the band at an location that will not be readily visible when the gauge is remounted onto the bike.) That has been working well for over a year.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: TomasDouglas

More
19 May 2014 14:09 #632980 by Cynjut
Z1 Enterprises is rumored to sell a set of replacement gauge bands, when you want to put them back together.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike