Oil at stator bullet connectors?

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
23 Mar 2014 17:50 #626304 by daveo
Oil at stator bullet connectors? was created by daveo
I'm baffled. Looking at the three bullet stator connections (yellow wires), there is oil on them. Could oil be getting pushed out between the yellow jackets and copper wires? I have no clue how it arrives there, since there is none on the outside of the wires. :huh:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2014 05:35 #626327 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Oil at stator bullet connectors?
Physically impossible. I suggest you continue to look elsewhere.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
24 Mar 2014 06:47 #626331 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Oil at stator bullet connectors?

koolaid_kid wrote: Physically impossible. I suggest you continue to look elsewhere.

I agree! Perhaps the infamous oil-drop fairy...

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
24 Mar 2014 10:33 #626364 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Oil at stator bullet connectors?
Perhaps not oil, but residue of dielectric grease that was sloshed on the bullet connectors at an earlier time.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
03 Jul 2015 22:06 - 04 Jul 2015 17:34 #679345 by daveo

koolaid_kid wrote: Physically impossible. I suggest you continue to look elsewhere.

A couple days ago, I finally sealed the wires with Three Bond 1211 after replacing the bullets with crimp connectors.
I discovered that oil had in-fact been seeping out between the copper wires, and rubber yellow-sheaths. :ohmy:

Believing it impossible, I've been wiping up oil for months...and finally had enough of it. Sorry.

NO LEAKS NOW!!! :cheer:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jul 2015 17:34 by daveo. Reason: Add pic

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
04 Jul 2015 05:44 #679362 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Oil at stator bullet connectors?
That is one of those jobs I expect on old bikes now, the bullet connectors get heat baked and brittle and it is such an easy job to sort out. Your solder and heat shrink seems better than insulated bullets there.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Jul 2015 06:10 #679367 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Oil at stator bullet connectors?
It is possable for oil to "wick" along the wires and in between them and the insulators. When I replace the grommet I'll clean the bare wires and use super glue to seal them. Hate oil on my left foot. :evil:
Steve

More
06 Jul 2015 16:11 #679725 by weales
Replied by weales on topic Oil at stator bullet connectors?
Maybe should be looking for the source of the oil, rather than trying to stop it leaking out from the inside of the alternator cover? Sounds like the oil is coming past the oil seal on the LH end of the crank. Capillary action would explain how the oil is wicking up the alternator output wiring. If the oil continues to build up inside the alternator area, it could eventually drip out through the grommet onto your left boot again! Replacing the bullet connectors with crimp splices and superglueing them is a bit severe - this makes separation of the alternator output wiring from the main harness a bit more involved - but hey, it's your bike and if it fixes your problem then no problemo!

Current Project
1968 Norton P11A Desert Sled
Other bike (and daily ride)
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Jul 2015 16:31 #679726 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Oil at stator bullet connectors?
I don't think you understood what I said. You buy a new grommet, cut the wires inside or out, clean off the oil with spray carb cleaner and seal the wires on the inside with the glue. The idea is to get the glue inside the insulation so it won't wick. The new grommet is larger than the opening so when it squishes down, it seals everything. The grommet vulcanizes around the wires with heat and so does the insulation.
Steve

More
06 Jul 2015 16:43 #679729 by weales
Replied by weales on topic Oil at stator bullet connectors?
Thanks for the clarification, but I still think that this is maybe chasing the symptom rather than the cause.? If the "oil" is just the dielectric stuff that's used during manufacture of the alternator wiring/assembly then fine - but if it's engine oil then there's another underlying issue.

Current Project
1968 Norton P11A Desert Sled
Other bike (and daily ride)
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
06 Jul 2015 16:50 #679731 by daveo
Oil bathes the generator system in the J-engine. It purposefully flows out of the block through a hole above the starter gear, then back into the oil pan through an opening below the rotor.
Perhaps oil gets thrown behind the stator by centrifugal force of the rotor, especially while the motor is running at higher RPMS. :unsure: It may also be enhanced by internal engine pressure pushing the oil into that area, usually forcing oil past the wires where fed through the wedge-shaped rubber grommet, requiring that sealer be applied there.
Whatever it is...it was.

1982 KZ1100-A2

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
06 Jul 2015 17:01 #679733 by daveo

swest wrote: I don't think you understood what I said. You buy a new grommet, cut the wires inside or out, clean off the oil with spray carb cleaner and seal the wires on the inside with the glue. The idea is to get the glue inside the insulation so it won't wick. The new grommet is larger than the opening so when it squishes down, it seals everything. The grommet vulcanizes around the wires with heat and so does the insulation.
Steve

I'm surprised that these three yellow stator wires are in such supple condition, whereas an earlier installed stator on the engine had wire insulation so hard it would crack when flexed even a tiny amount. Something must be working right in that regard now, as the generator system tops out at 14V steady, while running...well maintained by a Ricks (no-brown wire) regulator rectifier installed a couple years ago.
The battery has never been happier. :)

1982 KZ1100-A2