Lithium ion batteries

More
26 Jan 2014 07:30 #620087 by kaw-a-holic
Lithium ion batteries was created by kaw-a-holic
Talked to a vendor a three Progressive Motorcycle show yesterday. I need one of these batteries. Has/does anyone here run a lithium battery. I use a cordless drill all day everyday for my job. The lithium batteries have made a huge difference in power, weight, charge time etc. Here is a link to the company that I talked to:

www.miraipower.com/selector.asp?type=mot...=1000&startyear=1977

If any one has tried a lithium battery please share your experience. Saving 8 lbs on average and being able to mount in any orientation is very cool.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2014 07:36 #620089 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Lithium ion batteries
Just bought this Shorai for my Café project.
Haven't tried it yet but it is tiny and weighs nothing.
[IMG

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
More
26 Jan 2014 08:06 #620092 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Lithium ion batteries

zed1015 wrote: Just bought this Shorai for my Café project.
Haven't tried it yet but it is tiny and weighs nothing.

What size motor are you using this on?

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
More
More
26 Jan 2014 14:33 - 26 Jan 2014 14:35 #620136 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Lithium ion batteries
Been running one in my 750 twin for at least two years now. Never put it on any kind of trickle charger and it always fires right up after sitting all winter.

They are Lithium Iron, LiFePo, not Lithium Ion.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 26 Jan 2014 14:35 by steell.

More
26 Jan 2014 16:01 - 26 Jan 2014 16:15 #620149 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Lithium ion batteries

kaw-a-holic wrote: Talked to a vendor a three Progressive Motorcycle show yesterday. I need one of these batteries. Has/does anyone here run a lithium battery. I use a cordless drill all day everyday for my job. The lithium batteries have made a huge difference in power, weight, charge time etc. Here is a link to the company that I talked to:

www.miraipower.com/selector.asp?type=mot...=1000&startyear=1977

If any one has tried a lithium battery please share your experience. Saving 8 lbs on average and being able to mount in any orientation is very cool.

I believe the MC batteries are Lithium Iron Phosphate (Li Fe PO4).

I have read many posts from happy customers and many where they failed very quickly. I am not sure the very wide voltage tolerance of a motorcycle charging system is compatible with Li batteries. At Nat Semi, we designed some of the original charge control IC's for Sony's Li-Ion batteries. They demanded +/-0.5% accuracy on the charge voltage. The accuracy of the MC system voltage is more like 3%. Sony showed us data indictaing that a variance of 0.5% on charge final voltage corresponded to a 30% change in battery charge (HUGE) hence their demand for accuracy. The Li battery makers are claiming that the charge voltage doesn't need to be accurate, and I am skeptical of the truth of this claim. I suspect they need to sell batteries and would not sell them if they told everybody they needed a much more accurate voltage regulator with the lI battery. I suspect the guys that have no problems versus the guys whose new Li batteries keep failing are likely due to system charge voltage (?)

YMMV

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 26 Jan 2014 16:15 by bountyhunter.

More
26 Jan 2014 16:42 #620152 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Lithium ion batteries
Been through 3 of the lithium batteries now due to the variance in charging. When I was asking, it was all good, after I bought it and killed the first I was told it didn't like the variance of charge. Problem is, when I ask them, they all claim they have a diode or some sort built in deal to smooth it out or level the charge or what ever you want to call it. Truth is, I think sales. :(
1st one lasted all year, went through 2 this year alone.

Les

More
26 Jan 2014 17:53 #620162 by bountyhunter
There is a reference document on Li Ion charging here:

batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/char...ithium_ion_batteries

Their note says (for one Li cell):

Most cells charge to 4.20V/cell with a tolerance of +/–50mV/cell.

That would correspond to a "12V" battery which had three cells for a charge voltage of:

12.6V +/- 0.150V.

Based on that, the 14V system voltage of most cars and bikes is too high?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
26 Jan 2014 18:00 #620164 by bountyhunter
Shorai claims that their battery is 100% charged at 14.34V, but I can't figure out how that's possible.
shoraipower.com/faq

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
26 Jan 2014 18:01 #620165 by anotherZ
Replied by anotherZ on topic Lithium ion batteries
I was told to use them only with a newer combined regulator/rectifier. That was on my Honda CB 750K though.
Worked amazingly well, never had any problems.
antigravitybatteries.com/

79 KZ 1000 LTD
Saved it from becoming a drag bike
Smaller tank