Resistor caps and spark plugs

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
06 Jan 2014 10:32 #617539 by daveo
Resistor caps and spark plugs was created by daveo
The bike has a Dynatek 2000 ignition and 3ohm mini-coils. :)
I have been running solid core wires with non-resistor caps, and BR8EIX (resistor) iridium spark plugs.
Just got a new set of Dynatek (solid core) wires DW200 which came with the wrong crimp-on ends to attach at the coils. A call to Dynatek left me confused...again.
Dynatek highly-suggested to cut wires to length, and put the resistor caps back on the cut ends, and attach them to the spark plugs. That is how Dynatek recommends it be done, other than using resistor wire sets. :huh:

WTF?
I was under the impression all that was needed was one (1) resistor in the setup per plug, and that having a R resistor spark plug accomplishes that necessity.
So, what difference does it make? HELP. :blink:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2014 10:49 #617544 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Resistor caps and spark plugs
My understanding, is the resistor is used to suppress the electrical noise when the plugs fire. I'd think adding resistance, along with using resistor plugs would reduce the spark energy.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
06 Jan 2014 11:04 - 06 Jan 2014 11:08 #617548 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Resistor caps and spark plugs
Agreed. So why the resistance from Dynatek to run the 2000/mini-coil setup with no resistors, except in the spark plugs? :unsure:

I sensed (Dynatek) concern for the well-being of the 2000 ignition module, perhaps potential damage(?) cause by electrical noise or interference?

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 06 Jan 2014 11:08 by daveo.

More
06 Jan 2014 13:03 - 06 Jan 2014 13:06 #617558 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Resistor caps and spark plugs

daveo wrote: Agreed. So why the resistance from Dynatek to run the 2000/mini-coil setup with no resistors, except in the spark plugs? :unsure:

I sensed (Dynatek) concern for the well-being of the 2000 ignition module, perhaps potential damage(?) cause by electrical noise or interference?

Good question, I would ask them directly. I ran non-resistor wires/caps and plugs for many years, no problem with the standard points ignition.

In general, you only need to add the resistance once (either wires, cap or plugs) not twice. It is possible that Dynas are overly sensitive to the EMI and they want "double protection". I would ask them straight out if that's why.

Interesting question as to how much difference it would make in spark energy. The "coil" is actually a flyback transformer system. During the non fire interval, current flows in the primary which is stored in the transformer core as energy of 1/2 L (I) squared. When the points open or the solid state switch opens, it dumps the stored energy out of the secondary winding through the spark plugs. The radiated EMI occurs because the transformer inductance and winding capacitance along with wire resistance form an R-L-C tank circuit that oscillates at high frequency for a brief time. Adding more series resistance lowers the oscillation frequency and also damps out the ringing.

Even though doubling the resistance by adding both resistor wire and plugs seems like it would cut spark energy in half, I suspect the loss is very much smaller. The wires and spark plug are in a series circuit with an air gap which is many millions of Ohms of resistance so the added resistance in front is small compared to the gap resistance. I don't know if running double resistance would make any noticeable difference. I doubt it if Dyna is recommending it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 06 Jan 2014 13:06 by bountyhunter.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
07 Jan 2014 12:18 - 07 Jan 2014 12:19 #617642 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic Resistor caps and spark plugs

bountyhunter wrote: Even though doubling the resistance by adding both resistor wire and plugs seems like it would cut spark energy in half, I suspect the loss is very much smaller. The wires and spark plug are in a series circuit with an air gap which is many millions of Ohms of resistance so the added resistance in front is small compared to the gap resistance.

I think your explanation is right on. I believe that additional series resistors should cause a minimal loss. At the same time I also agree that only one resistor should be necessary, and the "R" plugs should do the trick.

The issue here is with the Dyna 2000 control unit (points don't care one bit). Since this gizmo is microprocessor based, it's susceptible to interference from spark noise (EMI). EMI could cause several types of faults. The worst would be it may crash or lock up or reset, but more likely the noise could be misinterpreted as a valid trigger input from the crank sensor and cause the plugs to fire at the wrong time, too often, or totally at random.

My guess is that the bad things that could happen if EMI were to confuse the Dyna 2000 are likely to be much worse than the small amount of spark energy you lose by running too many resistor elements.

I would not be surprised if Dyna recommended multiple resistors, since they can't control where the 2000 box is installed on the bike or how it's wired. Some locations and setups could be a lot worse than others. Maybe they've found that people generally have better luck if they add as much EMI suppression as possible.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Last edit: 07 Jan 2014 12:19 by DOHC.

More
07 Jan 2014 12:57 - 07 Jan 2014 12:58 #617651 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Resistor caps and spark plugs

dohc wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: Even though doubling the resistance by adding both resistor wire and plugs seems like it would cut spark energy in half, I suspect the loss is very much smaller. The wires and spark plug are in a series circuit with an air gap which is many millions of Ohms of resistance so the added resistance in front is small compared to the gap resistance.

I think your explanation is right on. I believe that additional series resistors should cause a minimal loss. At the same time I also agree that only one resistor should be necessary, and the "R" plugs should do the trick.

The issue here is with the Dyna 2000 control unit (points don't care one bit). Since this gizmo is microprocessor based, it's susceptible to interference from spark noise (EMI). EMI could cause several types of faults. The worst would be it may crash or lock up or reset, but more likely the noise could be misinterpreted as a valid trigger input from the crank sensor and cause the plugs to fire at the wrong time, too often, or totally at random..

That's true, that's why I would ask Dyna straight out if they are recommending two resistors to address a specific problem they know about. It sounds like they are and if so, then it is safest to follow their advice.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 07 Jan 2014 12:58 by bountyhunter.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
09 Jan 2014 22:58 #618052 by daveo
Well, here's the setup now. It runs...:whistle:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

More
09 Jan 2014 23:19 #618054 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Resistor caps and spark plugs
What plugs did you end up with?

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
10 Jan 2014 00:01 #618057 by daveo

koolaid_kid wrote: What plugs did you end up with?

I'm back with the good-old NGK B8ES, for now anyway. The platinum plugs work nice, but will see how they compare. A little more to do, then back under the cover for awhile.
It will be quite some time until roads are salt-free around here again, and I'm trying to (not) go nuts waiting..:pinch:

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
10 Jan 2014 00:14 #618059 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Resistor caps and spark plugs
Thanks.
I worked at Cummins Engine and we ran some tests on spark plugs. We concluded there was no difference in the performance of any style of plug, but the iridium plugs did have longer life than the standard plug.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

More
10 Jan 2014 07:03 #618086 by neighbourdave
Replied by neighbourdave on topic Resistor caps and spark plugs

koolaid_kid wrote: Thanks.
I worked at Cummins Engine and we ran some tests on spark plugs. We concluded there was no difference in the performance of any style of plug, but the iridium plugs did have longer life than the standard plug.

Just curious, why would a diesel engine manufacturer test spark plugs?

1998 Concours
1978 Z1-R
1975 H2C
1974 H1E
1973 S2A

More
10 Jan 2014 07:04 #618087 by neighbourdave
Replied by neighbourdave on topic Resistor caps and spark plugs

koolaid_kid wrote: Thanks.

1998 Concours
1978 Z1-R
1975 H2C
1974 H1E
1973 S2A