Resistor caps and spark plugs

More
10 Jan 2014 07:23 #618089 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Resistor caps and spark plugs

neighbourdave wrote:

koolaid_kid wrote: Thanks.
I worked at Cummins Engine and we ran some tests on spark plugs. We concluded there was no difference in the performance of any style of plug, but the iridium plugs did have longer life than the standard plug.

Just curious, why would a diesel engine manufacturer test spark plugs?

Because we are engineers, and engineers always ask questions, then find out the answers. It is just how we are wired.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2014 07:53 #618093 by neighbourdave
Replied by neighbourdave on topic Resistor caps and spark plugs

koolaid_kid wrote:

neighbourdave wrote:

koolaid_kid wrote: Thanks.
I worked at Cummins Engine and we ran some tests on spark plugs. We concluded there was no difference in the performance of any style of plug, but the iridium plugs did have longer life than the standard plug.

Just curious, why would a diesel engine manufacturer test spark plugs?

Because we are engineers, and engineers always ask questions, then find out the answers. It is just how we are wired.

So, whose engine did you use? 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Dino or synthetic oil? What was your testing criteria?
As a 2 stroke rider, I am always interested in spark plugs. It is a popular debate on another forum.

1998 Concours
1978 Z1-R
1975 H2C
1974 H1E
1973 S2A

More
10 Jan 2014 08:19 #618095 by koolaid_kid
Chevy 350s, bolted to an engine dyno. We placed the engine in a dyno room and connected it to our instrumentation platform. We set up a battery of tests just as we did our diesel engines. Oil was not a factor as it was the same for all the plugs.
We ran each set of plugs through the same test cycle, ran the data through our analysis software, and examined the results.
Each set of plugs were the proper heat range for the test engine. We tested standard plugs, V plugs, tri tip plugs, iridium plugs, etc. The results were identical, no matter the design or the cost.

As a former 2 stroke rider, I would expect the results to be identical. Get your oil mixture set at the proper ratio, use the correct heat range plug, and run the cheapest brand you can find.
For both 2 strokes and 4 strokes, the most important factor is to keep your engine in the proper state of tune.

1983 GPz 750

More
10 Jan 2014 08:58 #618104 by neighbourdave
Replied by neighbourdave on topic Resistor caps and spark plugs

koolaid_kid wrote: Chevy 350s, bolted to an engine dyno. We placed the engine in a dyno room and connected it to our instrumentation platform. We set up a battery of tests just as we did our diesel engines. Oil was not a factor as it was the same for all the plugs.
We ran each set of plugs through the same test cycle, ran the data through our analysis software, and examined the results.
Each set of plugs were the proper heat range for the test engine. We tested standard plugs, V plugs, tri tip plugs, iridium plugs, etc. The results were identical, no matter the design or the cost.

As a former 2 stroke rider, I would expect the results to be identical. Get your oil mixture set at the proper ratio, use the correct heat range plug, and run the cheapest brand you can find.

Cool, thanks. Did you run Dino or synthetic 2 stroke oil in your bike?
For both 2 strokes and 4 strokes, the most important factor is to keep your engine in the proper state of tune.

1998 Concours
1978 Z1-R
1975 H2C
1974 H1E
1973 S2A

More
10 Jan 2014 09:27 #618111 by koolaid_kid
I rode in the 60s and 70s. There was no synthetic oil back then.

1983 GPz 750

More
10 Jan 2014 10:19 #618118 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Resistor caps and spark plugs
The tech line at Dyna, unfortunately, has never had the correct answer to any technical question I have ever asked them. I've always had to investigate on my own to get the real answer.

More
10 Jan 2014 10:56 #618124 by koolaid_kid

loudhvx wrote: The tech line at Dyna, unfortunately, has never had the correct answer to any technical question I have ever asked them. I've always had to investigate on my own to get the real answer.

LOL. I have heard similar reports. There is absolutely NO reason to need more than one noise cancelling resistor.

1983 GPz 750
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo