KZ1000R and Dyna S ignition

More
29 Nov 2013 09:16 - 29 Nov 2013 09:16 #614361 by tommyboah
KZ1000R and Dyna S ignition was created by tommyboah
Hi,

Newbie here...

I'm in the middle of a cafe racer build and I am doing some planning with regards to the electrics on my bike. I have a '83 KZ1000R2 which I am going to swap the stock ignition with a Dyna S ignition with Dyna Coils. The IC igniter unit on the bike, what excactly is the purpose of this, and what does this do compared to the Dyna S? Do I need the IC igniter when I am running a Dyna S instead of the stock ignition?

I value some input. Thanks.

----
Tommyboy

.Tommyboy
Last edit: 29 Nov 2013 09:16 by tommyboah.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2013 09:23 #614362 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic KZ1000R and Dyna S ignition
If you run a Dyna-S, the igniter comes off bike.....you don't use it.

More
29 Nov 2013 09:58 #614365 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic KZ1000R and Dyna S ignition
The "IC Igniter" actually give the stock system the grounds, so the ignition coils fire, sparking the plugs. As mentioned, if you go with the Dyna "S", you will need to remove the IC Igniter from the bike.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
29 Nov 2013 13:26 #614380 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic KZ1000R and Dyna S ignition
Welcome Tommy.
Why swap to a Dyna S when you already have a factory electronic ignition?
Unless of course there are issues with the current set up.

Do post up some pictures of your R.
B)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
29 Nov 2013 13:54 #614383 by tommyboah
Replied by tommyboah on topic KZ1000R and Dyna S ignition

rstnick wrote: Welcome Tommy.

B)

Thanks for the replies. I figured correctly then, that the IC igniter would need to go. The factory ignition is working, but since I am doing a complete rebuild of modtly everything I thought I'd beef it up a little with a new ignition and also some Mikuni RS36 carbs :evil: Do you think I ought to stick to the factory ignition istead of going with the Dyna S and Dyna coils?

.T

.Tommyboy

More
29 Nov 2013 14:06 #614387 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1000R and Dyna S ignition

Tommyboah@gmail.com wrote:

rstnick wrote: Welcome Tommy.

B)

Thanks for the replies. I figured correctly then, that the IC igniter would need to go. The factory ignition is working, but since I am doing a complete rebuild of modtly everything I thought I'd beef it up a little with a new ignition and also some Mikuni RS36 carbs :evil: Do you think I ought to stick to the factory ignition istead of going with the Dyna S and Dyna coils?

.T

Comparing both in good working condition, most agree that the factory igniter ignition is superior to the Dyna-S ignition.

Dyna coils (of proper resistance) may be fitted with either system.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Nov 2013 15:32 #614395 by MFolks
Testing Kawasaki Ignition Coils For Input Voltage

When voltage testing Kawasaki Ignition Coils, the following needs to be done:

1. Remove the fuel/gas tank to access the coils.

2. Fully charge the battery.

3. Using a multimeter, set it up for VDC(Volts, Direct Current), range of 20.

4. Turn on the ignition switch and the run/stop switch to “Run”.

5. Put the multimeter’s RED probe on where the red or red/yellow wire goes on the ignition coil.

6. Put the multimeter’s BLACK probe on either the battery Negative(-) post/terminal or a good frame ground.

7. You should be able to see battery voltage at the ignition coil connection, but this depends on the current draw of other items in the same circuit.

8. If the tested voltage is down to 8-9 volts, you probably need to clean the many and various electrical connectors.

9. To check the spark output at the sparkplugs, use Ignition Spark Testers. Instead of grounding the sparkplug with the sparkplug wire attached, looking for a spark. This method puts the IC Igniter and ignition coils at risk of failure due to high currents, and possible internal shorting.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
29 Nov 2013 15:35 #614396 by MFolks
Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices

What came with the bike, were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in the stop and go traffic, and the ignition coils will probably fail when hot.

Replacement coils can be bought at www.z1enterprises.com
I believe “Emgo” is the brand. They also carry the popular Dyna 2.2 and 3 ohm coils, along with replacement sparkplug wires.

Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:

1.Copper plug wires with no supression caps (the best choice, but will produce audio noise on Radio’s and TV’s). Not only do the copper core wires deliver better spark, they will also deliver a much longer lifespan - carbon core wires are prone to erratic spark delivery and early breakdown, & short lifespan.

2.Copper plug wires with supression caps (a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can sometimes fail, like what came with the bike). These should be checked with a multimeter now and then, as heat can cause them to become intermittent.

3.Copper plug wires with no supression caps, but using resistor plugs(the “R” in the plug number).

4.Supression plug wires with no supression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs combined with supression caps along with supression plug wires, as now there will be possibly three (3) sources of resistance in the secondary windings of the ignition coils, greatly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar, primary(small wire)electrical connection, using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils do. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers come close, possibly blowing a fuse. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with non conductive Nylon spacers, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.

7mm sparkplug wires will fit the stock ignition coils(if they have replaceable wires, indicated by screw off caps on the coils with ridges). The sparkplug wires fit into a port with a brass ”Stinger” that goes into the sparkplug wire or lead(the Brit’s. Canadians, and other countries call the sparkplug wires (“High Tension Leads”).

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
30 Nov 2013 08:16 #614448 by tommyboah
Replied by tommyboah on topic KZ1000R and Dyna S ignition
[/quote]
Comparing both in good working condition, most agree that the factory igniter ignition is superior to the Dyna-S ignition.

Dyna coils (of proper resistance) may be fitted with either system.

Good Fortune! :)[/quote]

I will keep an option of having the original IC igniter mounted on the bike, so that I can easily switch back to factory ignition if the Dyna S doesn't work out.

Thanks for the opinion.

.T

.Tommyboy

More
30 Nov 2013 08:32 #614452 by turboking
Replied by turboking on topic KZ1000R and Dyna S ignition
IMO , the dyna s is superior to the oem electronic ignition . yes, they will work... but ask any drag racer dyna s :blink: dyna coils and taylor wires .... :S

2005 Kawasaki mean streak
2000 325 H.P. mcXpress turbo Hayabusa
1979 kz 1000 mk II ATP turbo
1975 Z1 960 cc Mr. Turbo
1975 Z1 1428 big block ATP turbo
1976 Kz900 1103 cc ATP turbo
1985 GS 1150E
1983 GS 1100E
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
2001 Kawasaki EX 500 Ninja
1972 Honda cb750 (836cc turbo)