Swapped the Left Hand-wire colors don't match??

More
26 Oct 2013 14:06 #611234 by pnedac
Hi All,

It is a KZ650B that I am in the process of bringing back from the dead. So I had to purchase a replacement left hand control and while where the two end meet there are 8 wires on each side the colors are not the same.

I have:

Old New

Blue Blue
Red/yel Red/Yel
Gray Gray
Blk/Wht BLACK?????
Orng/grn BROWN???
Red/blk Red/blk
Green Green
Orange Orange

What I cannot figure out is how the two that do not match go together. In the diagram I see that the left control is where something called a "starter Lockout Switch" is located and I do not see what that is but I have a feeling it is why my bike won't start. I got the headlights working, the turn signals, but I do not have a horn and I do not know why but the bike's starter button won't work. I have cleaned it out and all looks like it is getting a solid connection. I am feeling lost on this beast because everything looks like it is properly wired but it won't start. It will turn over if I put a screwdriver over the solenoid (not preferred but I know for sure the starter works) and it has a new solenoid. Battery is good. Ground is good.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Pnedac

78 KZ650 B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2013 14:27 #611235 by 650ed
The starter lockout switch is intended to prevent a person from starting the bike with the transmission in gear and the clutch engaged as that would make the bike jump forward off the side stand and fall over. I once had the dubious pleasure of seeing a guy do that to a then new Yamaha 750 - not pretty.

The lockout switch is located on the clutch lever perch. You can find it by tracing the wire that comes off the clutch perch and runs down behind the gauges then under the tank.

When you try to use the electric starter you must pull in the clutch lever (this operates the switch) or the lockout switch will disable the starter button. When you are kick starting the bike you must not pull in the clutch lever or the kicker will not cycle the engine. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Oct 2013 11:23 #611312 by pnedac
Thank you 650ED. I do see why I wasn't aware of the starter lockout switch now. That is because it wasn't there. When I took this project on it was literally a frame a motor and an ice cream bucket full of nuts and bolts. I had replaced the clutch perch with a black one because I had to get a new brake master and I have now found that old clutch perch and put it back on, to no avail. I was pretty excited there for a minute.

Now I have everything as it should be, but I still have no starter button working. I took it all the way apart and I don't see anything wrong with it. While the contact area isn't perfect it also would not indicate that it wouldn't work at all. That usually takes more corrosion and this is just slightly discolored.

Thanks again for any help.

78 KZ650 B

More
27 Oct 2013 15:44 #611357 by OnkelB
You need to find two black wires: one comes from the right hand switch gear (starter button output) and originally connects to one side of the starter lockout switch. The other originally connects to the other side of the starter lockout switch and goes to one side of the starter solenoid. If the harness is somewhat original you will find the ends of the two wires right below the front left side tank mount - in order for the starter button to work without the lockout switch these two wires need to be connected to each other.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
27 Oct 2013 16:25 #611361 by MFolks
Look inside the headlight housing too, for the wires going to the starter lock out switch. On my 1982 GPz 1100 B2, it comes from the main harness inside the headlight shell/housing.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
27 Oct 2013 19:00 - 27 Oct 2013 19:04 #611377 by 650ed

MFolks wrote: Look inside the headlight housing too, for the wires going to the starter lock out switch. On my 1982 GPz 1100 B2, it comes from the main harness inside the headlight shell/housing.

On my KZ650-C1 those 2 lockout wires connect to the main harness under the fuel tank (see arrow in pic). Ed

Attachment 00002_2013-10-27.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Oct 2013 19:04 by 650ed.