Key is stuck in Park

More
07 Oct 2013 03:26 #609044 by jimmeth
Key is stuck in Park was created by jimmeth
Everything's been pretty good with my '82 KZ550. It's my 1st bike. Have had it for a couple of weeks and it's been great other than the new rear tire I need. Then today, after riding it, I switched the key over into "P" (hadn't tried it before) by accident and it got stuck there. The tail light is left on when I pull the key out. If I turn the tail light off, the key is stuck under where it says "push". Can't turn it anymore to the left to reach "on, off, or lock." It feels like the the locking mechanism is jammed (?). Tried graphite key lube to no avail. So now I just have the key sitting in there with the tail light off so I don't kill the battery.
Gonna pull the whole switch out and take it to a locksmith this week. In case that doesn't work out...
Does anyone know if those EMGO switches are as easy to install as they appear to be?

Would it be easier/worth it to find an original ignition switch?

Is there an easier solution I'm missing?
I want to ride as much as I can before the weather turns; need to deal with this soon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2013 04:16 #609046 by lightitup
Replied by lightitup on topic Key is stuck in Park
i get that same problem with my key switch. wat i do is i find the lock part that comes out to lock the steering and push it up while turning the key and it pops back up i can get in there without taking it off

81 kz 550 ltd

More
07 Oct 2013 06:08 #609051 by jimmeth
Replied by jimmeth on topic Key is stuck in Park
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

More
07 Oct 2013 15:32 #609141 by jimmeth
Well, that didn't work. Pushing on the lock mechanism turned the key but only as far as it was already moving before. Seems like an internal problem inside the key hole,almost as if the key was turned too far to the right and has triggered the Lock mechanism from the other direction, then again, I'm no lock smith. I will be pulling out the ignition tomorrow.

More
07 Oct 2013 17:43 - 07 Oct 2013 17:45 #609157 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Key is stuck in Park
Mine's an older model KZ, a '78, and it gets stuck sometimes when I switch to Park.
Now mine does not have a steering lock incorporated into it, so doesn't need pushing down anywhere.
I am usually able to turn it back to the left by inserting the key all the way, and keep it in all the way, then lifting or lowering the key, trying to manipulate the tumblers, allowing the key to turn.
So far I haven't been stuck.

I'm a Locksmith.
I can cut keys for most bikes, usually doing it by the key code number or duplicating a key.
But I do not take apart ignitions and repair them.
I do not have parts for them, so cannot replace worn or broken parts, which is probably what is causing the problem.
Most ignitions are crimped together, so reassembly could be iffy.

If you are somewhat handy, you can take the ignition apart yourself, carefully, and you may be able to remove a worn tumbler that is jamming, if that's the issue, and get it working again.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 07 Oct 2013 17:45 by rstnick.

More
08 Oct 2013 00:03 #609200 by jimmeth
Thanks rstnick, Something to keep in mind. I have fiddled with now so much I'm close to buying replacement switch.

More
18 Oct 2013 01:55 #610420 by jimmeth
Welp, you were right the locksmith couldn't help, although they do auto ignition service. Ordered the EMGO KZ ignition which fit perfect and works well. Only thing I will say about it is the key doesn't go in as easy as the original. Finally back on the road!
Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

More
18 Oct 2013 16:56 #610479 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Key is stuck in Park
Spray some Silicone lube into the keyhole, might help getting the key in easier.
Or 3 in 1. WD40 will be dry again in a short time, so avoid that.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s