Removing ignition coil '78 KZ750

More
11 Sep 2013 21:39 #606082 by nickjcoco
Removing ignition coil '78 KZ750 was created by nickjcoco
I'm having issue with removing my ignition coil from its fortress underneath my gas tank. I am very easily able to remove the tank, and the mounting bolts from the coil. The issue arises when I attempt to remove the coil from its location under the frame. It seems to be blocked in from the front by the fork. The sides are blocked by mounting brackets for the engine. The back is blocked simply by the engine itself and the shape of the frame making it impossible to pass through the small space provided.

My question is, is it safe to pull one of the mounting brackets off of the top of the engine to give enough space to slide the coil out? I don't want the engine to move or drop out of place and have to try and lift it myself to get the bracket back on there.

In addition to this, before I even attempt this removal, I'm doing so to replace the spark plug cable on the left side of the coil. It has a break in the wires that is obviously felt when physically inspecting the cables. I suspect this is leading to a poor running condition issue I have been having for months. Hence why I am posting this question in the electrical forum (hopefully the right place). I'm hoping replacing the cable itself will be all that's needed and not the entire coil itself.

Short description of the running condition leading me to suspect spark issue:
At lower speeds (start-45ish) the bike runs fine. When getting to highway speeds (50+) the bike starts to hesitate and act as if it is going to stall. The other night I was riding home on the highway as it had not been doing this since rebuilding the carburetors (which my local shop said was the most likely culprit) when all of a sudden I couldn't hold speed at 65 mph, low beam on my headlight blew when I gave the bike more throttle to attempt a safe lane change and highway exit. I pulled off the next off ramp, stopped at a light, and the bike died. It would not start, but the engine would turn over. I gave it about 30 minutes while waiting for a friend's father with a trailer to show up. Just for fun, we tried again and the bike started (after removing and then placing the spark plug cap on again on the left side which has been the problem side with fouling plugs). Rode it home and haven't had time to break into it until tomorrow. I am no mechanic or electrician, but this all screams electrical to me. Hopefully I'm right and getting to that plug wire solves it.

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Cafe project/daily driver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2013 22:44 #606093 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Removing ignition coil '78 KZ750
Two questions come to mind...

How old is the battery?

When was the last time you replaced the points?

Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
11 Sep 2013 22:57 #606098 by nickjcoco
Replied by nickjcoco on topic Removing ignition coil '78 KZ750
The battery hasn't been replaced in some time. Probably years.

I have not yet gone through the points. I bought this bike off a friend who had some work done to it, but also said he hadn't gone through the points either.

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

More
11 Sep 2013 23:29 - 11 Sep 2013 23:31 #606111 by 650ed
That's where I would start - new battery and new points/condenser. If either of those items are not up to snuff the bike can / will exhibit bad behavior and troubleshooting can be a wild goose chase. Very often it's the simple, normal maintenance things we tend to overlook, but they very often are the root cause of problems. Ed

Last edit: 11 Sep 2013 23:31 by 650ed.

More
11 Sep 2013 23:36 #606113 by nickjcoco
Sounds like a good place to start for sure. I considered the battery myself as it shows signs of age and starting with the key vs kick starting seems a little harder as the days pass. The points may be a bit of a challenge as this is the first time I've gone into any maintanence on my own to avoid massive wait times and repair bills from my local shop. Thanks for the pointers on a good starting point and I will come back with any questions that may/will arise.

Would you bother with the coil at all for now then or wait until the points/battery were checked first? That spark plug wire seems to be in obvious need of replacement and my only issue is getting to it. If I can remove that mounting bracket safely to reach the cable I that's my first move, then battery/points.

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

More
11 Sep 2013 23:47 #606117 by 650ed
I wouldn't bother with the coil at this point; yours may be fine. Do you have the Kawasaki Service Manual? If not, I HIGHLY recommend you get one. It will show you how to do everything on your bike including points and testing stuff like the coil. They really are worth their weight in gold. They're generally available on eBay , just be sure to get one for your bike's exact year / model. Here (see link) are some other tips that should be helpful. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587

The following user(s) said Thank You: nickjcoco

More
12 Sep 2013 01:01 #606132 by nickjcoco
I have a link to a PDF manual I have been using, but have been tracking down a hard copy for myself. Thanks so much. You've been more than helpful!

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

More
12 Sep 2013 09:21 #606161 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Removing ignition coil '78 KZ750
In regards to removing the coil, on my 81 650 the simple thing to do is to remove each mounting bracket & coil as an assembly. The 750-Twin is probably the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nickjcoco