Acid Battery Install/ventilation tube 1980 kz650

• danpcali
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I ride a 1980 kz650e
More
08 Sep 2013 08:38 #605499 by danpcali
Nood here. Just bought my first bike ever (1980 kz650 LTD). I bought the bike from its second owner. The bike runs strong but not a lot of routine maintenance was done to it.

As I was checking the charge of the acid battery installed by the second owner, I noticed that the battery ventilation tube was pinched and crammed into the battery box. I read an installation guide regarding acid batteries and it said to make sure that the ventilation tube isn't pinched preventing gas from escaping due to the fact that if the gas isn't allowed to vent properly the battery could explode.

I checked my Clymer manual and nothing was mentioned about the ventilation tube. I did my best to re-install the battery and make sure that the tube wasn't pinched. As I was doing so, I noticed what I will call a "valve stem" on the base of the frame of the bike that was positioned close to where the ventilation tube ended when I uncoiled it.

What it this "valve stem" for? Can I hook my ventilation tube into it (like in the picture I provided)? Will I be compromising the battery by doing so?

How do you guys have your ventilation tube positioned?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2013 09:24 #605504 by P21
i use AGM batterys
just as long as it can vent dont block off end of hose let it hang or tie wrap it

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21
The following user(s) said Thank You: danpcali

More
08 Sep 2013 09:25 #605505 by P21
welcome to the nut house!

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
08 Sep 2013 09:29 #605507 by JR
That nipple on the swing arm looks like the grease nipple for greasing the swing arm. It's a little different on my 750 but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Run the the battery vent tube between the swing arm and the motor just forward of where you have it.

It's good to have the vent tube connected as it prevents any acid falling on the electrics. I never heard of the possibility of explosion due to a pinch. I would think any gas pressure would pop off a pinched tube but then I'm no expert.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
08 Sep 2013 10:54 #605525 by 650ed
The battery vent tube should attach to the right side of the battery (see 1st pic). From there it drops straight down through a small loop welded to the outer edge of the battery box (you should be able to see this loop with the side cover removed and the seat open). After it passes through the loop, it drops straight down and then slightly forward so it extends between the front of the swing arm and the rear of the engine. It should hang down toward the ground 2 or 3 inches below the engine. Second pic shows where it goes behind the right side cover. Ed

Attachment 00002_2013-09-08.jpg not found

Attachment 00001_2013-09-08.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
08 Sep 2013 11:42 #605536 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Acid Battery Install/ventilation tube 1980 kz650
Sometimes the vent tube doesn't get routed right & you end up with battery stains on the muffler chrome.

• danpcali
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I ride a 1980 kz650e
More
09 Sep 2013 08:43 #605659 by danpcali
Thanks guys, much appreciated!

More
09 Sep 2013 12:02 #605685 by KZB2 650
I've been using a small asprin bottle taped on the end of this tube with cotton balls and baking soda in it to keep the acid drippings from staining the wheel, header etc.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
09 Sep 2013 15:59 #605725 by 650ed

KZB2 650 wrote: I've been using a small asprin bottle taped on the end of this tube with cotton balls and baking soda in it to keep the acid drippings from staining the wheel, header etc.

That's not necessary if you route the tube properly and let it hang down a couple inches below the bottom of the engine. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
09 Sep 2013 16:31 - 09 Sep 2013 16:33 #605727 by Forrest
I am replacing my BikeMaster Acid Battery as of today. I am done with these type of batteries. I am going with a BikeMaster Gel battery. The Gel Battery does not require venting! Yes, it is more $$. I am 99.99% sure my old battery(3 years old BTW) crapped out with a bad cell while on my way to the Cycle World Rolling Concours at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway(IMS). The extra $$ seems inconsequential at a moment like that. AND, The cranking power is better and reliability should be improved. Also, Acid batteries may become harder to find in the future due to Eco/Regulatory reasons. Gel batteries are now old technology with Lithium Ion(also,no venting) being the latest greatest. If I was replacing in my more modern sportbikes, then I would go Lithium Ion. For these old steeds, I will be "Gellin" from now on.! :silly:

Basic pricing info on the three types of batteries:
Traditional Acid Type Battery..... $50-$60.
Gel Battery.......................$100
Lithium Ion Battery...............$150

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Last edit: 09 Sep 2013 16:33 by Forrest.

• danpcali
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I ride a 1980 kz650e
More
10 Sep 2013 06:52 #605816 by danpcali
I will post a picture later on today of how I rearranged the placement of my vent tube. Forest brought up some good points and since I am modifying my bike into a cafe racer it might be best to go w a smaller more modern battery. A smaller battery would allow me to open up the space between the rear tire and the engine giving my bike more of a cafe look...but that's a topic for another thread I think.

More
10 Sep 2013 07:14 - 10 Sep 2013 07:15 #605818 by Patton

Forrest wrote: I am replacing my BikeMaster Acid Battery as of today. I am done with these type of batteries. I am going with a BikeMaster Gel battery. The Gel Battery does not require venting!....

If not already done, would also consider AGM battery (instead of Gel).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 Sep 2013 07:15 by Patton.