Handlebar switch conduit

More
30 Aug 2013 18:37 #603973 by nitrokeeb
Handlebar switch conduit was created by nitrokeeb
The conduit on my handlebar switch wiring was in poor shape, so I stripped it off. I'm trying to find a suitable replacement. I don't want to use the split plastic tubing like you find on most automotive wiring. I considered using heat shrink, but am having difficulties in finding a large enough diameter.

Any suggestions?

1978 KZ1000B LTD w/KZ900 engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
30 Aug 2013 19:25 #603984 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Handlebar switch conduit
Spiral wrap? Heat shrink tubing is available in sizes that I have seen up to 4"! You need a torch to shrink it down... I cant believe you cant find a big enough diameter!

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
30 Aug 2013 19:30 #603985 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Handlebar switch conduit

nitrokeeb wrote: The conduit on my handlebar switch wiring was in poor shape, so I stripped it off. I'm trying to find a suitable replacement. I don't want to use the split plastic tubing like you find on most automotive wiring. I considered using heat shrink, but am having difficulties in finding a large enough diameter.

Any suggestions?

Here is a kit from Grainger up to 3/4"

www.grainger.com/Grainger/3M-Heat-Shrink...300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
30 Aug 2013 21:36 - 30 Aug 2013 21:38 #604015 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Handlebar switch conduit
Why not run the wires inside the handlebars like a stock KZ650-C1? The only wire outside the bars is the one for the clutch lockout. Here's a pic of the underside of the bars. Ed

Attachment Handlebars_2013-08-30.JPG not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Aug 2013 21:38 by 650ed.

More
30 Aug 2013 22:26 - 30 Aug 2013 22:29 #604028 by nitrokeeb
Replied by nitrokeeb on topic Handlebar switch conduit
I should clarify that I could not find any locally. I was also wondering what other options were out there. One option I had considered was a wrap like this:

But I don't think it would be very good for sealing.

I am liking the internal wiring...

Should be pretty easy on a set of drag bars/superbike bars.

Last edit: 30 Aug 2013 22:29 by nitrokeeb.

More
30 Aug 2013 22:52 - 30 Aug 2013 22:52 #604031 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Handlebar switch conduit
Something like this? :unsure:

Click > www.economycycle.com/servlet/the-600/Mot...Wire-Loom-PVC/Detail

Google wire sheath.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 30 Aug 2013 22:52 by Patton.

More
30 Aug 2013 23:11 #604036 by nitrokeeb
Replied by nitrokeeb on topic Handlebar switch conduit

Patton wrote: Something like this? :unsure:

Click > www.economycycle.com/servlet/the-600/Mot...Wire-Loom-PVC/Detail

Google wire sheath.

Good Fortune! :)

That looks just like stock, but is half the diameter I need. I searched "wire loom", "wire conduit", etc, but never thought to look for "wire sheath". I just bought a 90' roll of 3M 1/2" heat shrink on eBay. I think they had it priced wrong, as I got it for what other vendors were asking for about 4'.

I think I may try to run the wires internally, but still need to cover the wires from where they emerge from the handlebars to where they connect to the harness underneath the tank.

More
30 Aug 2013 23:19 #604037 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Handlebar switch conduit

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
30 Aug 2013 23:29 #604039 by Patton

More
30 Aug 2013 23:36 #604041 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Handlebar switch conduit
If you think about routing the wire bundle inside the handlebars, read this first:

Pulling Wire Bundles Inside Handlebars

Before running any wiring inside the bars, take time to see if any sharp "Burrs" are there, otherwise they will quickly strip any insulation away from the wire's conductors, resulting in an electrical short.

A Dremel tool with a small stone grinding bit will smooth most burrs away. If a Dremel is not available, a small round rat tail file works just as good.

Any splices should be "Staggered" to avoid too large of a diameter, trying to fit through small openings.

When preparing to pull the wire bundle through the bars, carefully taper the bundles end with masking tape as this makes for a better pulling situation.

I use aircraft 0.032" diameter safety wire secured to the wire bundle as a pulling medium, Nylon string or small diameter cord will work for this too.

Silicone spray or electricians pulling lubricant should be applied to the end of the wires to ease the operation. It's best to have a helper while doing this to avoid problems of possible pinched or damaged wires. Have your helper apply a steady pulling effort while you carefully feed the wire bundle into the handlebars.

After the job of pulling is done, get a multimeter, set it on the lowest ohm setting, open up the switch housings to access the wire ends and then see if a wire of two has shorted out.

Put one probe on the handlebar and the other on any soldered wire ends on the switches and see if the meter indicates continuity by either making a buzz(some meters have built in buzzers) or a display on the meter face.

An analog meter(the type with the needle indicator) will act similar (except no buzzer) by showing usually a full deflection(needle movement)if there is a short by again, checking with the lowest setting on the ohm scale of the meter.

Finding a short now is a whole lot better than when it's wired up & blowing fuses or possible stranding you on the road.....

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)