No Spark, Bike sat for 25 years

More
20 Aug 2013 17:31 - 20 Aug 2013 17:32 #602338 by b0ssdawg
No Spark, Bike sat for 25 years was created by b0ssdawg
first of all sorry for making a new forum im sure there are already alot out there like this.

So i have a 1976 KZ900 i have not done too much to it besides rebuild the carburetors, get a new battery and checked that it does still crank over, but i have no spark, i know these bikes are fired by a points system, and they can be finicy, one guy told me to get more modern ignition system? i know this is a broad question but any advice on this project would be great

Rusty old 1976 kz900
Last edit: 20 Aug 2013 17:32 by b0ssdawg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2013 17:51 #602343 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic No Spark, Bike sat for 25 years
Welcome aboard! Do you have a Kawasaki Service Manual for your bike? If not, that should be the first thing you do before doing more work on it. The manual is an absolute necessity for working on these machines. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
20 Aug 2013 17:54 #602344 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic No Spark, Bike sat for 25 years
First, welcome to KZRider. We have a new owners section that you can post in if you wish.

Many opt for an electronic ignition to update their ignition system. The Dyna S is a popular choice.

DS2-1

You can usually find it for less on eBay.

Here is everything you would need to update the entire ignition system:

Entire ignition system

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
20 Aug 2013 17:55 #602345 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic No Spark, Bike sat for 25 years

650ed wrote: Welcome aboard! Do you have a Kawasaki Service Manual for your bike? If not, that should be the first thing you do before doing more work on it. The manual is an absolute necessity for working on these machines. Ed

+1.
This is the first thing I get when I get a bike. And be sure and get the real deal, Clymers and Haynes just do not cut it for the work you will need to perform to get your bike back on the road safely.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
20 Aug 2013 18:24 #602350 by b0ssdawg
Replied by b0ssdawg on topic No Spark, Bike sat for 25 years
Thanks for the welcomes, and yes i have the parts and shop manuel, but would you both highly sugest the electric ignition over points? i just dont wanta invest to much into this bike incase it goes no ware

Rusty old 1976 kz900

More
20 Aug 2013 18:29 #602351 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic No Spark, Bike sat for 25 years
The electronic systems, can be adjusted, and then left alone, as they do not wear like points do. I'd suggest you take the time and thoroughly clean the many and various electrical connectors and switches, opening up the left and right handlebar switch pods, looking for failed solder joints on the run/stop & start switches for the left side, and the horn and high/low beam for the right side.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
20 Aug 2013 18:31 #602352 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic No Spark, Bike sat for 25 years
Cleaning Motorcycle Electrics

Get some of the De-Oxit DN5 electrical contact cleaner and figure on spending a good day going from the front of the bike to the back. It’s a plastic safe cleaner/preservative. www.deoxit.com is their website, and can be purchased at most electronic supply stores.

On the older Kawasaki's, a majority of electrical connectors are inside the headlight housing requiring removal of the headlight, then the fun begins.

Do one set of electrical connectors at a time to avoid mixing up what connects to where. Usually disconnecting, spraying with De-Oxit DN5 and reconnecting is about all you'll need.

However, when encountering the green crud of corrosion, a brass wire brush may be needed on the pins you can reach. Some 400-600 grit wet and dry sandpaper strips rolled into a tube should reach the male and female pins in the more difficult to clean connectors.

Smoker’s pipe cleaners, cotton swabs and wooden toothpicks work as cleaning aids.

Really small electrical connectors may require the use of a welders tip cleaning tool assortment.

Most pins in the connectors are coated with a thin plating of tin, and others may be nothing more than copper or brass.

If moisture is added, the resulting corrosion lowers the voltage/current being carried causing dim lights, slow engine cranking, slow turn signal response and lower input voltage to the ignition coils resulting in weak spark.

The left and right handlebar switch pods will need attention too as they have circuit functions like turn, horn, run/stop, and start.

Usually a spritz or two with actuation of the switch is about all needed for these switches unless corrosion is detected and then careful disassembly is required.

The ignition switch may or may be not sealed to allow spraying the internal contacts. I urge caution if attempting to open this up as springs, and ball bearings may fly out never to be seen again!

If your bike has the older style glass tubed fuses, I suggest replacing them as vibration can cause internal failure. AGX is the type used, and most auto parts stores can get them for you.

Clean the fuse holder clips, looking for signs of overheating(discolored insulation, signs of melting). I use metal polish on a cotton swab, followed by spraying another clean swab with the De-Oxit DN5 and then rubbing the inside of the fuse clip.

All battery cables must be clean and tight for maximum current transfer. Check the cables going from the Negative(-) battery terminal/post to the engine mounting bolt

Also the one going from the Positive(+) terminal to the starter solenoid and from there to the starter motor.

If any battery cable feels ”Crunchy” when flexed, replace it as possible corrosion is inside the insulation.

Each "Bullet Connector" will have to be sprayed to ensure good connectivity, especially the ones going to the energizing coil of the starter solenoid.

The alternator output “Bullet Connectors” are usually behind the engine sprocket cover and will need inspecting and cleaning too.

The turn signal light sockets will benefit from a spritz from the contact cleaner along with the tail light/brake light socket.

Some brake light switches can be sprayed on the actuating rod, with the spray running down inside to the electrical contacts, others may be sealed requiring replacement if the switch is intermittent in operation.

Some people put the Di-Electric Grease on cleaned terminations/connectors, I don’t, as I’ve read/heard it can cause problems when it gets hot, actually insulating the connections, so the choice is yours to use or not.

I think I've covered about all of the electrical systems on the bike.........

Re: Cleaning the many and various Motorcycle electrics

I used the De-oxit D-5 spray on all the electrical connections of my 78 Kz1000 that had sat for twenty years .

When I parked the bike in 92 I was starting to have troubles with some of the electrical system, but after pulling everything apart and giving it a spray , reconnecting the connectors and working them back and forth a few times, then gave them another shot of spray to wash them off before the final reconnection.

Everything still works perfectly and has for over 7000 miles this year.

I am extremely happy with the results , a lot of the connectors were green when I started and after the cleaning they looked new ( shiny gold )

I found the Deoxit D-series, D-5 spray in a 4 oz can at a big electronics store called Frys in Illinois, don't get the small cans at Radio Shack , they are different and meant for computer type stuff.

store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

Trust MFolks , the guy's a true rocket scientist and really knows what he's talking about.
JD

Why WD-40 Should Not Be Used On Motorcycle Electrical Items.

For many years, I was proponent of the use of WD-40 on fuse clips, fuses, switches and connectors. After hearing of other peoples experience with intermittent and sporadic activity, I shrugged it off as maybe they did something wrong in the application of the product.

It wasn’t until the time I rode my 1982 GPz1100 B2 model to downtown San Diego that I encountered the problems others had gone through.

After concluding my business downtown, I walked to where my bike was parked, turned the key to unlock the forks, and prepared to start the engine. The key was in the "On" position, yet I had no lights in the dash panel, the fuel pump was not running(I have FI), and the horn and tail light were not working.

Puzzled as to why nothing electrical was happening, I remember my earlier conversations about how WD-40 will over time become a non-conductor(more like an insulator). I had some pieces of 400 and 600 grit sandpaper in my tool kit and with them was able to scratch away the coating from the WD-40 on the fuses and clips.

After removing the insulating film, the bike started and ran like it should. Since that time, I’ve told people about the problem with WD-40. If you must use a contact cleaner, I recommend getting some "De-oxit" DN5 from Radio Shack Stores or any good electronic supply store.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
20 Aug 2013 18:36 #602354 by 650ed
I wouldn't start by changing the ignition, especially considering the engine doesn't run. I would start by doing a full tune-up. If the points are pitted you can file and polish them before setting them properly. While that is no long term solution it will last at least 1,000 miles and most certainly should eliminate the points as a possible problem that prevents the bike from starting. After you get the bike running you can decide whether to stay with points or switch to electronic ignition. Ed

More
21 Aug 2013 16:39 #602487 by b0ssdawg
thanks for the info, and ed i couldnt agree with you more, but im new to points and have no idea what im looking at, any one have or know a short right up to sand down the points, and get her running?

Rusty old 1976 kz900

More
22 Aug 2013 00:15 #602559 by 650ed
You can use a very thin piece of metal (a feeler gauge works) wrapped in 400 grit paper to remove any bumps opposite the pits. Then finish with finer grades of paper until the points are very smooth. You may not be able to remove the pits as they can be pretty deep, but as long as the bumps are gone you should be ok.

Here's the process I use for initially setting up the points, then you can follow up using a timing light and dwell meter. If you follow this procedure carefully, and make changes as required because your bike is a different model, the points should easily be set well enough for the bike to run (if other stuff is ok). I suggest you get a copy of the manual because the gap specs and backplate on your bike may be different. I give the following as an example - it is accurate for the KZ650.

The manual has several pages of instructions, pictures, etc. on how to set the timing using the static method plus timing light, plus dwell meter. I can give you a fairly easy way that will get you in a pretty close ballpark without a timing light or dwell meter, but you will need a 0.35 mm feeler gauge and a multi-meter or other device to test continuity. To be very precise, the timing light and dwell meter will be needed.

Remove the points cover on the right side of engine. Under it you will see 2 sets of points. The set on the left fires cylinders 1 & 4; the set on the right fires 2 & 3. When replacing points observe carefully how the little bits and pieces are arranged where the wires attach. Some of those pieces are actually insulators and if you leave any of them out or put them back in the wrong place the points will be grounded and won't work. Take a very close look at the contact surfaces of the points. If they are pitted you really should replace them. You can sand down pitted points, but they will quickly pit again. Replace one set of points at a time so you can look at the other set in case you get the little bits confused.

Use a 17 mm wrench to turn the nut NEAR the end of the crankshaft clockwise while looking in the hole above that nut. (Do NOT use a wrench on the smaller bolt on the very end of the crankshaft to turn the engine.) Inside that hole you will see a vertical pointer cast into the casing. As you turn the 17 mm nut you will see a 1 & 4 and F and T roll by and then you'll see a 2 & 3 and F and T roll by. Each F and T has a line next to it.

Here's the method I use for static timing. I turn OFF the ignition. I disconnect the green wire near one coil and the black wire near the other coil. (This is not in the book, but it makes checking continuity much easier for me.) After installing the new points or cleaning up the old ones, turn the 17 mm nut while watching the points. When points set 1&4 are at their widest gap adjust them (by loosening the 2 screws that hold the points to the backplate) so the gap equals 0.35 mm. Turn the 17 mm nut clockwise through a full revolution again and double check this gap. Then repeat this for points set 3&4. Now set your meter to test continuity and clip one wire to the leaf spring on points set 1&4 and clip the other wire to ground. Turn the 17 mm nut clockwise until the 1&4 "F" mark aligns with the pointer mentioned above. You want the continuity across point set 1&4 to just break when the F mark aligns with the pointer. The idea is that when the continuity just fails is when the points will fire their respective coil and cylinders. In order to adjust the point at which continuity fails you loosen the 3 screws that hold the backplate to the engine and slightly turn the backplate until the meter shows a break in continuity. Once you have the 1&4 set timed properly you can check the 2&3 set to make sure they break when the 2&3 F mark aligns with the pointer (they should or something is not right). Don't forget to plug in the green and black coil wires when you are done, and put a little grease on the rubbing block felt. Assuming you are using new points of the correct type this should enable you to get the timing very close. Trying this with old points may give poor results, especially if the points are pitted and/or the rubbing blocks are worn.

After you have set the gap (which in effect sets the dwell) and the timing using the method above you can use a dwell meter and timing light to fine tune dwell and timing. If you have followed the above procedure carefully, very little if any fine tuning will be needed.
Sorry this is so long. It's not as difficult as it sounds. Ed

The following user(s) said Thank You: b0ssdawg

More
29 Aug 2013 23:34 #603849 by b0ssdawg
what are the chances my coils and wires are still good?

Rusty old 1976 kz900

More
29 Aug 2013 23:41 #603853 by 650ed
That depends to some degree on how the bike was stored. If it was out in the weather the wires and maybe the coils could be shot. If it was under shelter they are probably ok. Age alone won't necessary hurt them too much, but if the wires were exposed to snow in the winter and blazing sunshine in the summer they may be cracked. Once you get her up and running you'll be able to tell.