Project Bike - Starter Wiring Question

More
06 Aug 2013 22:52 #600177 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Project Bike - Starter Wiring Question
Thanks, I never knew. I wired it into the the coil feed. Now to quit hijacking this guys thread.
Wayne

Motor Head wrote: 6 wire R/R with a Brown wire from a Kawasaki, needs the Brown hooked up to a switched battery source. As close to actual battery voltage the better. If you hook it into a circuit with voltage drop, it will see the lower voltage and make up the difference and overcharge the battery.

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2013 13:52 #601243 by dmccray
Replied by dmccray on topic Project Bike - Starter Wiring Question
Sorry it took so long for me to get back on here and reply but I really appreciate the feedback. At the risk of sounding completely in over my head, I am still uncertain about where on the starter motor the post for the wire from the solenoid is located. I do see an area to screw the nuts for the cover of the starter motor but that is it.

Also, I did get a box of parts with the bike and found this wire.

Attachment ExtraWire.JPG not found

Is this the wire that goes on the second post on the starter solenoid to the starter or am I completely off based?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Derrick
Attachments:

More
13 Aug 2013 14:08 #601244 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Project Bike - Starter Wiring Question
See if there's a connector for the oil level sensor(not oil pressure, as the "J" engines have a different oil indicating system). It should plug right in. Look behind the engine sprocket cover.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
13 Aug 2013 21:07 - 13 Aug 2013 21:20 #601300 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic Project Bike - Starter Wiring Question

dmccray wrote: Sorry it took so long for me to get back on here and reply but I really appreciate the feedback. At the risk of sounding completely in over my head, I am still uncertain about where on the starter motor the post for the wire from the solenoid is located. I do see an area to screw the nuts for the cover of the starter motor but that is it.

Also, I did get a box of parts with the bike and found this wire.

Attachment ExtraWire.JPG not found

Is this the wire that goes on the second post on the starter solenoid to the starter or am I completely off based?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Derrick

That indeed looks like the wire that goes from the solenoid to the starter.
The big post on the starter motor is on the bottom of the starter. Get yer head rat down on the floor and look up under the starter, you'll see it. Use a light, it's there. It will be easier to clean and make the connection after removing the starter. That also gives you the opportunity to clean out the crud that grows under the starter pull the brushes out and clean the commutator and lube the starter bearings. Good luck.

I just looked at your pictures again. It looks like you haven't removed the sprocket cover. That's the one that covers the engine sprocket where the chain comes out. You need to look up through the hole left by that cover to see the post on the starter.

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock
Last edit: 13 Aug 2013 21:20 by TomW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dmccray