electrical system upgrade 81 650csr

More
05 Aug 2013 01:09 #599893 by jbalet666
electrical system upgrade 81 650csr was created by jbalet666
im thinking about doing some mods/upgrades to the electrical system and was wondering if anybody had any tips/advice on what im doing

id like to replace my stator to a high out put one along with my rectifier

replace the wire harness with a custom one or direct replacement(have looked for a replacement but can find one for this model)

install a usb charger
flashing spark plug wires (really on the fence about this not sure how it effects my actual spark)

the main reason for doing the stator/rectifier/wireharness switch is because i seem to loose power to the head light when braking and seems to bog down a bit when i use the high beam (and im sure this has to be the fault of one of the three above parts id like to replace) and id like the extra power to use the usb charger

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2013 11:13 #599918 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic electrical system upgrade 81 650csr
Several things come to my mind....

How old is the battery and is it the correct one for the bike?

Have you used the Kawasaki Service Manual to run diagnostics on the various charging system components? I would definitely do this before toying with the idea of building a custom charging system. Your existing system should provide sufficient charging to run your lights and engine without a problem, so if you are experiencing a problem doing that you may just have a faulty component.

A USB charger shouldn't draw much current at all, so that should not have a significant effect on the bike's ability to maintain a fully charged battery. Take a look at the specs on the USB charger to see how many watts it draws. Here's one that is only rated at 5 watts; that's not much a of a load.
www.energizer.com/portable-power/usb-cha...-charging-cable.aspx

Keep in mind, that if you are able to find a high output alternator for your model (this might prove difficult) the regulator is still going to limit the power going to the battery. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 Aug 2013 21:17 #599996 by jbalet666
Replied by jbalet666 on topic electrical system upgrade 81 650csr
the battery is the correct one
and i do have the manual so ill run the diagnostics that is describes
but my wiring harness is a little "mickey moused" from an older owner too there is duct tape cracked insulation cracking connectors so id like to update it
i figured updating the charging components would just improve the reliability and add to the performance of the bike i have found an alternator that supposed to work i believe ill add a link to it below

im trying to turn get this bike for motocamping so im trying to kind of over build it since ill be traveling large distances sometimes alone

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
05 Aug 2013 21:23 #599998 by jbalet666
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

650ed wrote: Several things come to my mind....

How old is the battery and is it the correct one for the bike?

Have you used the Kawasaki Service Manual to run diagnostics on the various charging system components? I would definitely do this before toying with the idea of building a custom charging system. Your existing system should provide sufficient charging to run your lights and engine without a problem, so if you are experiencing a problem doing that you may just have a faulty component.

A USB charger shouldn't draw much current at all, so that should not have a significant effect on the bike's ability to maintain a fully charged battery. Take a look at the specs on the USB charger to see how many watts it draws. Here's one that is only rated at 5 watts; that's not much a of a load.
www.energizer.com/portable-power/usb-cha...-charging-cable.aspx

Keep in mind, that if you are able to find a high output alternator for your model (this might prove difficult) the regulator is still going to limit the power going to the battery. Ed

here is a link to that H/O stator

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
05 Aug 2013 23:15 #600024 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic electrical system upgrade 81 650csr
If you add a simple 12v power socket, with a weather cover, than you can buy a cheap USB adapter that will plug in. The power socket of course comes in real handy. I use mine for a Slime top up air compressor, an Inverter, cell phone charger etc.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
05 Aug 2013 23:29 #600029 by jbalet666
this is the one i origionaly was going to purchase
www.amazon.com/O102-Universal-weatherpro...&keywords=sae+to+usb

but i like the idea of having the 12v socket (i also have the slime compressor) for other powered devices

do you think i could have both
i already have an sae connector for my battery tender

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
05 Aug 2013 23:30 #600030 by jbalet666
any body have any advice/experience with the flashing spark plug connectors?
do they effect the efficiency of your spark?

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

• Motor Head
  • User
More
05 Aug 2013 23:32 #600031 by Motor Head
I do my battery tender right through the power socket. So far its all I need. Just on 12v power socket with a weather cover. Walmart carries them for about $5. Or you could go on line and order a few, but with freight it would add up.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
05 Aug 2013 23:52 #600034 by jbalet666
yeah i was looking on ebay and found one with both a usb and power socket which is all weather proof and marine grade so ill go with that and a fuse i think ill need one right?

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

• Motor Head
  • User
More
06 Aug 2013 00:00 #600037 by Motor Head
Yes sir, use a fuse. If your bike has an accessory fuse box, there will be a wire coming up to the headlight or steering head from it, from the battery positive, as well as a ground for using difference accessories. Black/ yellow stripe is the ground, then there is another next to it I forget the color, but the wiring diagram will show it. Or you can run a fresh one with a fuse.

More
06 Aug 2013 01:09 #600051 by jbalet666
i have the manual so ill check but not sure if i have an accessory fuse box
im planning on redoing all those electronics though anyways so it should be pretty easy

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
06 Aug 2013 08:45 #600067 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic electrical system upgrade 81 650csr

jbalet666 wrote: i have the manual so ill check but not sure if i have an accessory fuse box
im planning on redoing all those electronics though anyways so it should be pretty easy

Unless a previous owner has removed it, there should be an accessory fuse holder with 2 - 10amp fuses. One accessory lead runs toward the front of the bike ; one towards the rear. You can see the holder near the lower right corner in the wiring diagram (see link). Ed

diagrams.kz650.info/wiring/images/KZ650-H1.jpg

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)