in over my head

More
15 Jul 2013 14:59 #596626 by dan123
in over my head was created by dan123
a few weeks ago on my day off i took apart the front end of my bike in a hurry in order to change out the steering stem. i had to take off the headlight housing and disconnect all of the wiring connections that are back there. naturally i was not paying much close attention to how it all came together. now its a few weeks later and i am feeling very overwhelmed. i have the proper Kawasaki service manual and i followed the wiring diagram as best i could but when i turned the key none of the lights came on. i have no experience working with wiring and i dont know how to diagnose the problem. any advice to how i should go about getting the wiring done properly would be greatly appreciated.

1982 kz550C LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2013 15:10 #596627 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic in over my head
Step 1 - go to Radio Shack and buy the cheapest volt meter you can get.

Step 2 - Have the guy behind the counter show you how to do simple stuff like check for continuity and voltage.

Step 3 - Go back and start checking things.

Electricity is like the Ernie's Magic Bathtub game. Put electricity on a wire, and there's electricity on everything it's connected to. It fills the pipe at the speed of light, so just following the wires and use your diagram. Find out what has power in the headstock wiring and what doesn't. Take notes. Pretty soon, with the help of the book and secure in the understanding that the Brown wire is usually the main bike power and that black/yellow is ground, you start to see the pattern between what you see on the diagram and what you see in your hand.

You can do it: we all have the utmost confidence in you.

Other than "take it to a dealer" there isn't really anyone here can do for you.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
15 Jul 2013 15:51 #596631 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic in over my head
I understand it's of no help now, but "next time" take the time to wrap a piece of masking tape around both sides of the connection and number both sides "1" "2" (same number on both ends!)etc. That way you'll know for sure which ones plug together. most of the home improvement type stores, in the electrical department sell books of labels for just this purpose both in numbers and letters, that way you can actually spell out what circuit it is if you need/want to. It can be done... and you can do it! Paul

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
15 Jul 2013 16:02 #596633 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic in over my head
quick snapshots with asmartphone are also good for NEXT time...

what model, etc? the big connector blocks are not hard to figure out

get a color wirng map form the net and you figure the rest

More
15 Jul 2013 17:26 #596638 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic in over my head
The first thing I'd do is make sure the battery is hooked up & good and then check the fuses.
Double-check the connectors at the headlight bucket to make sure they are pushed together.
I think it's kinda hard to mix up the connections, because aren't they different sizes n stuff?

A VC97 is a good, inexpensive digital multimeter. You can get one on ebbaayy for around $30.

More
15 Jul 2013 18:24 #596643 by Cynjut
What Martin said is spot on. The price range is about right-something in the $20 to $30 range is good for a shop meter. Don't get crazy and buy an expensive 3000 function meter with an PC interface. A two foot drop to a concrete floor can be deadly to any meter, and you are going to pull it onto the floor at least once.

www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?s=A-...tainProdsInSession=1 is the search page for Radio Shack. There are digital and needle type meters for $25.

1977 KZ-1000 A1

More
16 Jul 2013 10:38 #596736 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic in over my head
I had been using an old analog meter, but I think digital is superior... no guessing where the needle is pointing. :)
The robotroom rated the VC97 a good one to keep in your toolbox.

More
16 Jul 2013 10:52 #596738 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic in over my head

martin_csr wrote: I had been using an old analog meter, but I think digital is superior... no guessing where the needle is pointing. :)
The robotroom rated the VC97 a good one to keep in your toolbox.

Same here. I still use my old analog meter when doing the static timing of the points because it is very easy to tell the exact moment the points break continuity because the analog needle reacts instantly - much faster than testing continuity on a digital meter. However, for measuring voltage, resistance, and on mine even amperage the digital meter is light years ahead of the analog meter. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Jul 2013 14:07 #596757 by Cynjut
Totally agree - I use both as well. I use my $4.95 super cheap volt/ohm meter most of the time, since "about" is usually close enough.

1977 KZ-1000 A1

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
16 Jul 2013 15:02 #596770 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic in over my head
ANY meter is better than not

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
20 Jul 2013 09:16 #597427 by dan123
Replied by dan123 on topic in over my head
i have made some progress. right now all the lights work and the horn as well but when i went to start it i just got a click and the lights went out. no fuses were blown and after i waited a few minutes the lights came back on. is it my wiring or is the starter bad? the starter worked fine when i began taking the bike apart so i dont see how it could be toast now. any advice would be very helpful. thanks

btw i love my older IDEAL test pro multimeter

1982 kz550C LTD

More
20 Jul 2013 10:16 #597432 by dan123
Replied by dan123 on topic in over my head
and now the lights wont come back on. fuses are still good. :(

1982 kz550C LTD