Kz750 Ignition problems

More
24 Jun 2013 22:09 #593791 by Schmeck
Kz750 Ignition problems was created by Schmeck
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum and currently seeking answers as to why my bike has no spark to either plug. It's a 1979 Kz750 Twin , with a few parts replaced but pretty much stock for the most part. It has a new ignition coil, key switch, fuses for fuse box, Battery, points and condenser. New spark plugs too . I have power to the points but none to the spark plugs. I can give more info, Any and all help is greatly appreciated! thanks - Schmeck

1979 kz750 twin -Soon to be roadworthy
1988 El250 engine in custom hard tail frame - collecting dust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2013 22:37 - 24 Jun 2013 22:39 #593801 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Kz750 Ignition problems
Check to see if you have any power at the coil. If you do not, a connector at the points may be grounded to the engine case or not the points may not gapped properly or you may have a lose or disconnected wire between the points and coil or a bad kill switch. The kill switch is in the "Run" position, right? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 24 Jun 2013 22:39 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schmeck

More
24 Jun 2013 23:16 #593807 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Kz750 Ignition problems

Schmeck wrote: Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum and currently seeking answers as to why my bike has no spark to either plug. It's a 1979 Kz750 Twin , with a few parts replaced but pretty much stock for the most part. It has a new ignition coil, key switch, fuses for fuse box, Battery, points and condenser. New spark plugs too . I have power to the points but none to the spark plugs. I can give more info, Any and all help is greatly appreciated! thanks - Schmeck

Hello, Schmeck, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

It might be that opening of points is failing to un-ground the ignition coil (which is supposed to cause the coil to fire).

This condition could result from incorrect assembly when replacing the points, such as positioning the insulators.

Attachment points-condensertext.JPG not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schmeck

More
25 Jun 2013 10:00 #593857 by Schmeck
Replied by Schmeck on topic Kz750 Ignition problems
Hey guys thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention I am running an aftermarket start/kill switch from dime city. The original switch was rusted beyond repair. I am getting power to the coil, So I will see if maybe it is grounding out and get back with the results. Just out of thought, Can a stuck timing advancer cause no spark ? Or is the advancer simply for when the bike is running. Thanks guys

More
25 Jun 2013 11:32 #593863 by Schmeck
Replied by Schmeck on topic Kz750 Ignition problems
Thanks a bunch guys!!! I was staring at your picture for a good 20 minutes Patton. Trying to figure out what I was doing different and it was the spring u had mentioned. I had it on the plate instead of against the washer. Thanks for the help! :woohoo: