Ignition miss?

More
02 Jun 2013 21:48 #590539 by drumbrakes
Ignition miss? was created by drumbrakes
You may have seen in the new members forum that I just picked up this KZ.
Loving this bike but am having a bit of a miss that I need to track down. Sometimes its bad, other times not bad but always present and annoying.
I put a timing light on #1 and #4 (theyre the easiest to get to and are on separate coils) and at the moment of the miss the spark is cutting out completely. It seems to be doing it on both sides at the same time but not positive. I would have thought it was a bad coil but since its doing it on both sides Im guessing that both coils arent the problem. I know this isnt a lot of info but thought Id throw out what I know at the moment for maybe a little input from people more experienced that I with such a bike.

ANY input would be great.

Thanks and heres a pick of the patient. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2013 22:11 #590548 by peter1958

More
02 Jun 2013 22:50 #590564 by drumbrakes
Replied by drumbrakes on topic Ignition miss?
Thanks.
Ill pull the cover off.
Will I know what you mean when I see the advancer?

Ive looked at the parts diagram and I do see the part but not sure what needs lubed ?

More
02 Jun 2013 23:09 #590572 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Ignition miss?
Very nice looking bike. You haven't given us much to work with here. Does it miss at idle, mid range full throttle. Does it get worse as the revs go up, does it ever clear up as throttle is applied, ect.

More
02 Jun 2013 23:12 #590574 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Ignition miss?
All moving parts on the mechanical advancer should have a light coat of grease(I use the high moly content grease), make note of how it's assembled, as it's possible to re-install it 180 degrees out, to verify correct assembly, start the engine, if it cranks & cranks, it's probably put together wrong.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
02 Jun 2013 23:50 #590593 by drumbrakes

baldy110 wrote: Very nice looking bike. You haven't given us much to work with here. Does it miss at idle, mid range full throttle. Does it get worse as the revs go up, does it ever clear up as throttle is applied, ect.

Thanks guys.

Yes it does it whenever it feels like it. No specific rpm range that I can tell. Even will do it at idle but not as often.
If I had to guess, more often at 1/4 throttle but thats possibly because thats were a lot of normal riding is being done.

More
03 Jun 2013 00:03 #590596 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Ignition miss?
Original igntion coils,sparkplug wires & sparkplug caps? Even when new, the coils were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank, and your coils may be breaking down when hot. The sparkplug caps contain a 5000 ohm,non replaceable resistor, that can go bad from age,heat, and vibration.

New coils,sparkplug wires & sparkplug caps are available at www.z1enterprises.com , the 3 ohm,Dyna green coils are a popular replacement.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 Jun 2013 00:12 #590601 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Ignition miss?
1-4 are on one coil, and 2-3 on the other. You sure you just don't have the wires on wrong?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
03 Jun 2013 00:48 - 03 Jun 2013 00:49 #590608 by drumbrakes

MFolks wrote: Original igntion coils,sparkplug wires & sparkplug caps? Even when new, the coils were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank, and your coils may be breaking down when hot. The sparkplug caps contain a 5000 ohm,non replaceable resistor, that can go bad from age,heat, and vibration.

New coils,sparkplug wires & sparkplug caps are available at www.z1enterprises.com , the 3 ohm,Dyna green coils are a popular replacement.

Thanks.
New caps, new plugs, probably original wires since theyre numbered.
BTW, this happens hot or cold but could possibly be worse when hot. Hard to say as its so crazy.

And yeah, checking the firing on 1 and 4 just would have been checking one coil I suppose. I wasnt thinking I guess.
So in the morning Ill see if its actually happening on 2 and 3 as well. If not, I guess that narrows it down to possibly the right coil. Maybe the ignitor?

Will update after I check that.

Thanks a lot for the input.

BTW, where can I locate the auto advancer on the engine?
Last edit: 03 Jun 2013 00:49 by drumbrakes.

More
03 Jun 2013 09:36 #590628 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Ignition miss?
The timing advancer is located behind the right side engine cover. You might need a new gasket - the old one may tear.

In regards to the coils, a test you can try is to ride the bike at high speed, then stop & feel the coils to see if they are getting hot - press hard w your fingers. I'm assuming you can reach under the tank without getting burned. Mine were getting real hot so I replaced them -->> high speed miss solved.

In the mean time, redo the spark plug wire connections at the coils if you haven't done that already.

More
03 Jun 2013 12:23 #590645 by drumbrakes
Ok Ive found that it definitely gets worse as the bike gets warm.
According to my timing light both coils are missing.
I got the bike hot and tested the coils and all resistance is within spec.

I then tested the resistance over the pickup coils its was very near to the limit (524ish). So I decided to heat them up a bit for maybe 2 minutes with the hair dryer. The spec is 360-540 OHMS, by the way. After that heating one of them got to 543 and the other right at 539. I assume they would get hotter on a summer day ride for sure.

Does this sound like the pickup coils are dying?

Im not sure what else I can test or where to go. Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome about now. :)

More
03 Jun 2013 12:48 #590648 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Ignition miss?
While that is definitely possible, other things have a higher probability of being the problem.

Have you put a voltmeter on the coils' positive connection while running? How about on the igniter's positive and negative while running?