Ignition miss?

More
03 Jun 2013 13:01 - 03 Jun 2013 13:02 #590650 by drumbrakes
Replied by drumbrakes on topic Ignition miss?
I havent.
I can easily do that on the coils but what would it be telling me if the voltage wasnt consistent or high enough?
Bad ignitor or pickup coils?

As for putting it on the ignitor + and - while running, Im not sure I can do that or where. It seems right out of the ignitor wouldnt be possible to probe.

? :(
Last edit: 03 Jun 2013 13:02 by drumbrakes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2013 13:19 #590654 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Ignition miss?

drumbrakes wrote: I havent.
I can easily do that on the coils but what would it be telling me if the voltage wasnt consistent or high enough?
Bad ignitor or pickup coils?

As for putting it on the ignitor + and - while running, Im not sure I can do that or where. It seems right out of the ignitor wouldnt be possible to probe.

? :(

With black lead on battery ground, put the red lead on the yellow/red coil wire while running. It should be steady 12 to 14 volts. If it changes when there is a miss, then you have a bad wire or switch or fuse or fuse holder. Most likely is the ignition switch, or the wires going to (and coming from) the switch from the frame.

The test for the ignitor can be done by pushing paper clips into the connector for the igniter to get contact (you will need alligator clips to hold onto them). Don't let them touch eachother or you will bow a fuse. You want the 4-wire connector with the larger wires in it. Black/yellow is ground, red is positive. (Plain black is for the 1-4 coil, and green is for the 2-3 coil, but you are not concerened with those.)

Tthis will do a similar check to the coil voltage, but wil also check for a possible ground issue on the igniter.

More
03 Jun 2013 13:31 #590657 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Ignition miss?
Check your pulse coils.

More
03 Jun 2013 16:55 #590681 by drumbrakes
Replied by drumbrakes on topic Ignition miss?
During the process of cleaning and unplugging, replugging, testing Ive fixed it.

I can only guess it was a bad connection at one of the harness plugs but dont know which one.
Put 20 miles on the bike and it hasnt done it since. Before it did it every 5 seconds or more. :blink:

Happy right now, if it comes back, at least I know its probably a connection and not a component.

Thank you all very much for your input! :)