Spark plug read

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
09 May 2013 20:56 - 09 May 2013 20:57 #586635 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Spark plug read
650ed

That may explain my disdain for looking into rear-view mirrors. There is only a disorienting red flash...and a resonating whew!
:whistle:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 09 May 2013 20:57 by daveo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2013 21:09 #586637 by Jrbrownie00
Replied by Jrbrownie00 on topic Spark plug read

daveo wrote: Jrbrownie00

Your setup would necessitate using resistor caps...correct? :kiss:

I don't know?! It seems like no resistance doesn't matter but even in this thread there's confusion. I'm going to run the copper wires and b8es (no resistance) and see what happens.

82' kz750 ltd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
09 May 2013 21:18 - 09 May 2013 21:24 #586639 by daveo
Patton
Old Man Rock

I respect your opinions, and highly enjoy looking at the visual aids employed when making your points. :)

My bike has a Dynatek 2000, put in a couple years ago along with a pair of Dyna Mini-coils. I specifically inquired with Dynatek (Larry N.) about going with solid-core wires, and he suggested there should be no related problems created by doing the setup that way.

Also, I did that hundred-mile ride today, and when done, there was no apparent difference in plug appearance from the picture above.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 09 May 2013 21:24 by daveo.

More
09 May 2013 22:55 - 09 May 2013 22:56 #586652 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Spark plug read

daveo wrote: ...My bike has a Dynatek 2000, put in a couple years ago along with a pair of Dyna Mini-coils. I specifically inquired with Dynatek (Larry N.) about going with solid-core wires, and he suggested there should be no related problems created by doing the setup that way....

The Dyna 2000 listing at Z1 Enterprises includes a recommendation of Dyna suppression (resistor type) spark plug wires, and includes a link to the Dyna 2000 installation instructions.

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...f1100&item=DYDDK2-1C

www.z1enterprises.com/Documents%5CDyna%2...2%20Instructions.pdf

Here is an excerpt from the instructions:

According to the reported advice received from Larry N. at Dynatek, the resistance provided by the R plugs in the secondary loop is an acceptable substitute to sufficiently replace the resistance provided by suppressor spark plug wires.

It follows that the Dyna 2000 is included among the delicate electronics that could be adversely affected by lack of a resistance component. However, such is not the case with other less sophisticated bike ignitions such as stock points, Dyna-S, and stock Igniter, which perform perfectly without any resistor component whatever in the secondary loop.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 May 2013 22:56 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike

More
10 May 2013 00:08 - 10 May 2013 00:10 #586670 by Patton
An thinking another option for solid core wires with non-R plugs would be fitting appropriate resistor style plug caps, whereby standard NGKB8ES spark plugs could be used.

The standard plugs are sometimes more readily available. In a pinch, traveling cross-country and needing a new plug, would rather be needing a standard plug.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 May 2013 00:10 by Patton.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
10 May 2013 10:54 #586709 by daveo
Patton wrote:

According to the reported advice received from Larry N. at Dynatek, the resistance provided by the R plugs in the secondary loop is an acceptable substitute to sufficiently replace the resistance provided by suppressor spark plug wires.

Thanks Patton, I couldn't say it better. After all of this, I'm still confused that Dynatek would not state the same in their literature (unless the sale of resistor plug wires is a primary consideration), but left it for me to determine.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
10 May 2013 12:04 - 10 May 2013 12:45 #586724 by Patton
NGK says their "R" or resistor spark plugs use a 5k ohm ceramic resistor in the spark plug to suppress ignition noise generated during sparking.
www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark...faqs/faqresistor.asp

NGK produces caps -- "covers" -- with various ohm resistance specs:
www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/performance/resistor_covers.asp

Including the 5 ohm version:
www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/Resistor_Covers.pdf

Further explained by Z1E:
www.z1enterprises.com/Z1SparkPlugGuide.aspx

Info provided by Z1E about suppression plug wires:
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...lack%29&item=DYDW600

NGK caps listed at Z1E:
www.z1enterprises.com/ListItems.aspx?keywords=ngk+caps

I haven't yet found the ohm resistance specs for the Dyna suppression wires in order to compare the wire's resistance with the 5k ohm resistance in each R spark plug.

Perhaps someone could measure the ohm resistance in a new Dyna suppression spark plug wire, and let us know.
The wire's resistance will presumably be in the neighborhood of 5k ohm (which would match the 5k ohm resistance in an R plug), but will probably vary with length of the wire.

It would be interesting to know whether (1) the measured resistance in the secondary loop between non-resistor caps on suppression wires, matches (2) the measured resistance in the secondary loop between R plug tips in non-resistor caps on solid core wires.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 May 2013 12:45 by Patton.

More
10 May 2013 12:34 - 10 May 2013 12:49 #586727 by Patton
Am learning that the ohms resistance is measured "by the foot" in suppressor type spark plug wires, whereby a longer length will offer more resistance.

Suppression plug wires are available in two types, being graphite core (such as Dyna) or spiral core plug wires (such as offered by NGK).

Spiral core wires use a magnetic field to reduce electrical interference, and are lower resistance than graphite core to provide more spark.
www.auroraelectronics.com/Understanding%...k%20Plug%20Wires.htm

However, the ohms resistance in a foot of suppressor plug wire (either type) may significantly differ from the 5k ohms in an R plug. Per the above link, suppression plug wire typically has a resistance of 3,000 to 20,000 ohms/ft. depending on the manufacturer.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 May 2013 12:49 by Patton.