another kz400 problem .electrical

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
06 May 2013 17:37 #586017 by recez
another kz400 problem .electrical was created by recez
I was riding down the road everthing is going fine. I hit a little rough patch of road and now all my electrical intruments are gone. I oviously sounds like something came loose... but I'm not seeing anything jump out... I did look at the little fuserbox and the fuse looks rough but would that cause all lights, turn signal, brake lights even the oil and neutral light are not working. Electric start does nothing.
the bike will fire up with the kick starter so I'm get spark. Any suggestions as to where I should look?

74 kz400 D cafe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
06 May 2013 17:51 #586021 by recez
Replied by recez on topic another kz400 problem .electrical
could this little fuse be the source of my problems. The fuse is broken in the middle... but there's this little bit of sider right under neath the break in the fuse. Does this fuse run all my instruments? Lights etc?

74 kz400 D cafe
Attachments:

More
06 May 2013 18:15 #586022 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic another kz400 problem .electrical
Replace the fuse. All the fuses in the fuse holder are needed for everything to work. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
06 May 2013 21:04 #586041 by recez
thanks ed... yep it was that fuse :) an easy one finally

74 kz400 D cafe

More
06 May 2013 23:37 #586082 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic another kz400 problem .electrical
I make a habit of replacing the glass tubed fuses each year. Read this about the fuses:

Fuse And Fuse Holder Designations

1. The older Kawasaki’s use a glass tubed fuse with the designation of AGX 1” long. Most good auto parts stores can get them for you. They are ¼” in diameter.

2. The more common AGC is 1 ¼” long and may not fit the smaller fuse clips. Again, ¼” in diameter.

3. To clean and polish the fuse clips, I use a cotton swab(Q- Tip) and some Brasso metal cleaner or Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. I suppose any good metal polish would work.

4. These fuses can fail internally but look good, only by using a multimeter to check for voltage going through the fuse, or when the fuse is removed for physical inspection for tight end caps & continuity checks, can it be determined if it’s serviceable.

5. Most modern motorcycles are now using the automobile “Blade” style fuse with the designation of ATC or ATO.

6. The reduced sized “Mini” Blade style fuse holder uses the ATM size of fuses.

7. If the fuse and fuse holder overheat, it could soften or anneal the grip of the clip, it might require squeezing the clip to restore the tightness.

8. A list of where to purchase “Blade” style fuses and holders:

www.waytekwire.com order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/...20%20%20%208%20FUSE/

www.rallylights.com www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=765

www.delcity.net/store/6!way-fuse-blocks/p_10822.a_1

www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Product...ers/fuseholders.html

www.autowiringsolutions.com/item.php?item_id=251&category_id=89 (ATO/ATC Fuse Holder)

9. A source for the glass tubed AGX fuses:
www.boatownerswarehouse.com/browse.cfm/2,4986.html

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
07 May 2013 03:46 #586121 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic another kz400 problem .electrical

MFolks wrote: I make a habit of replacing the glass tubed fuses each year.

Amen. If the fuse wire looks at all discolored or bent, replace IMMEDIATELY.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
07 May 2013 11:48 #586150 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic another kz400 problem .electrical
It's possible the fuse blew because there was a brief short when you hit the bumps. You may want to eventually make a closer inspection of the wiring, especially near the steering area.

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
10 May 2013 02:27 #586677 by recez
thanks for the help guys. sorry for the late reply, was out of town for a couple of days. Loudhvx ,this did happen after I messed around with a little wire (ground wire maybe?) that was running from under the gas tank into the head light... But what made me mess with it was the fact that it was spliced right near the handle bars and twisted together (without a wire nut or tape mind you) just sitting there. I sort of pulled on it and it came out of the head light like it wasn't connected to anything (no resistance when I pulled it). This is the thinnest wire On the bike, is this a ground wire and should it be connected in the headlight? Why might it have been spliced? Maybe because there was a front windsheild on it at some point.

Mfolks.... Thanks a bunch for the info. I'll definitely clean the fuse clips as you stated. I did manage to find some fuses that work at the local hardware store. But That fuse box seems to be getting really hot... but that might be a result of it not being grounded..as I stated above

74 kz400 D cafe

More
10 May 2013 10:21 #586705 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic another kz400 problem .electrical
Shorting a ground wire won't blow a fuse. I would look for power wires. Brown wires would be the first suspects.

More
10 May 2013 10:36 - 10 May 2013 10:36 #586707 by CoolerKing
Replied by CoolerKing on topic another kz400 problem .electrical
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIf you decide to "upgrade" your fuse box. Check out newer used ones on ebay. I snagged this 3 fuse box from a Honda Shadow that I'm planning on using on my new build

1978 KZ650-C2
1976 KZ400D-3 (sold)
Last edit: 10 May 2013 10:36 by CoolerKing.

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
11 May 2013 00:01 #586803 by recez
Ok.. I will look for suspect power wires. And the new fuse box looks like a good idea for an upgrade... thanks for the suggestions

74 kz400 D cafe