• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
19 Apr 2013 18:17 #583141 by recez
74 kz400 ignition timing question was created by recez
Hey all,
I'm wondering if someone could clarify something for me... So I'm adjusting the ignition timing on my 74 kz400 and following the manual word for word. I determined my points gap with a .35mm feeler shim. So the gap is correct, then I line up the "F |" as shown in the manual, then I loosen the adjusting plate and move it until the ohmmeter begins to jump.. which in theory should be the point at which the points start to open. So I tighten the adjusting screw plate back and turn the crankshaft counter clockwise and watch to see when the ohmmeter "jumps". Here is where I'm getting confused, the ohmmeter rises before the "F |" and stays on until the crankshaft reaches "F |" then jumps down and stays down until I reach the point as described above (couple of turns before "F |"). Is this what I'm looking for? From the manual I was assuming the need should jump "on" when I reach the F | not jump off... I hope this makes sense to someone. I'm just not sure what to look for... I am getting a "jump" at F | but not the way I'm expecting.
could someone clarify this for me... Do I want to ohmmeter needle to jump "on" when F | is reached or should it jump off (go back to zero ohms?.. I'm confused

74 kz400 D cafe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
20 Apr 2013 03:07 #583246 by recez
Replied by recez on topic 74 kz400 ignition timing question
yikes the dreaded no reply!!! Maybe the question was to wordy. I know some of you guys have adjusted the ignition timing on a kz400.. so I will try another route. What do I look for, on the ohmmeter, when the F | mark is aligned to the timing mark? Should the ohmmeter just jump to infinity when these two marks line up and go back to zero after they have passed each other? Or does the ohmmeter jump to infinity prior to the F | aligning to the timing mark and stay at infinity until the F | has passed the timing mark? I guess it is hard to put into words what the heck I'm saying.. maybe if I take video of it or something... or maybe just ride the thing like it is and see if it runs any better. It was raining today so I wasn't able to test ride after making the Timing adjustment. Probably should have just left it alone in the first place... I want to sync the carbs but the manual suggests checking the valves and ignition timing before doing so... so thats why I'm asking if I have it set right...

Also I don't have a strobe light to check it at riding speeds.. Don't have the money to get one either.. so I was hoping to be able to do the turn by hand method to check it.

thanks in advance

74 kz400 D cafe

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
23 Apr 2013 18:00 #583741 by recez
Replied by recez on topic 74 kz400 ignition timing question
just in case someone does a search and has a question like this I will answer my own question. I feel ignorant even having asked this question but anyway. The ohmmeter reads ohms when the points are touching... in the case of my multimeter when the points touch the needle jumps up... I take it that when the F lines up with the timing mark you want to points to just start opening... so i adjusted mine to right where the needle fluctuates between open and closed. I'm not sure how sensitive the timing is put it's sure running pretty good at this setting. Maybe you want it to be all the way open when the F is at the timing mark or closed this I'm still not sure of.. but somewhere in the middle seems to have me running pretty good.

74 kz400 D cafe

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
25 Apr 2013 07:13 - 25 Apr 2013 07:16 #583928 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic 74 kz400 ignition timing question
Instead of using a volt meter, I built a 12V light (red LED from Radio Shack) with small alligator clips on the leads. For me it's easier to see the light than watch the meter. Ideally you do want the light to flicker at the timing mark. I just settle for a steady light right at the mark I want by adjusting the point’s plate. It's a pta but I stuck a timing light on it one time and found my timing to be dead nuts on. Don’t forget to drag a piece of paper rough the points after setting the gap.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 25 Apr 2013 07:16 by Z1Driver.