small charge emitted when ignition is turned on?

More
09 Mar 2013 16:39 - 09 Mar 2013 16:40 #576184 by richrand
Hey all.

When I set the handlebar ignition switch from off to run i can hear a small pop/click at the caps of the ignition wires. My voltage also drops gradually from ~13 to 12. If the bike has been run, this will cause a small "fffft" sound as (i think anyway) any residual fumes are ignited.

I've got a dyna ignition installed by the PO and dyna coils installed by me. Any ideas why it does this or how I can stop it?
Last edit: 09 Mar 2013 16:40 by richrand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2013 22:36 - 09 Mar 2013 22:37 #576257 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic small charge emitted when ignition is turned on?
your not suspose to run resistor caps on the plug wires with dyna ign and colis. I would clean and inspect all wiring plugs and the spark plug wires. As far the voltage droping while the bike is being ridden sounds like the alternator might not be charging i would check it with a volt meter so you know if its the stator or something else like reg/rec or wiring.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 09 Mar 2013 22:37 by Powerstroke_fan.

More
09 Mar 2013 23:07 #576280 by richrand
thanks. these are dyna wires with no caps -- i hear the click in the wire end. charging system is fully tested and working fine. all of this happens when the motor is not running but the bike is "on".

More
10 Mar 2013 10:34 - 10 Mar 2013 10:37 #576321 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic small charge emitted when ignition is turned on?
If the ignition is on and the motor not running i would suggest you flip the kill on the handlebars. Ive been told leaving the ignition on will fry the coils. Maybe check the ends on the sparkplug wires to assure theyre together and the connections are properly attached. Ive seen bad or not together ends cause troubles. other than the ignition deengergizing when you flip the switch back off without running the motor. Ive never heard mine make any noises.

Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
And Much Much more- SOLD

Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 10:37 by Powerstroke_fan.

More
10 Mar 2013 12:02 #576338 by richrand
Thanks. This is the kill switch I'm referring to. Sorry if I'm not clear. With the key ignition turned on, when I turn the kill switch on and off it makes a clicking sound every time I turn it on. The click is a charge being sent to the plug wires and it will ignite fumes in the chamber if there are any.

More
10 Mar 2013 14:14 #576356 by richrand
OK. I just got back from the garage. This happens when I turn the kill switch OFF (or the key ignition off) -- not on. I put a spark plug in and sure enough, when i turn the kill switch off, a spark jumps the gap. This happens with both coils on all four plug wires. Any ideas?

More
10 Mar 2013 20:28 #576415 by Powerstroke_fan
Mine also makes a noise when you shut the ignition off and its not running. Not pos. but i always thought it was the coils discharging but not sure.

Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
And Much Much more- SOLD

More
10 Mar 2013 21:39 #576432 by steell
That makes a whole lot more sense :)

When you turn off power you shut off the coils, causing the magnetic field to collapse firing the plugs. It's the same as points opening.

It's normal

KD9JUR

More
10 Mar 2013 22:22 #576443 by richrand

steell wrote: That makes a whole lot more sense :)

When you turn off power you shut off the coils, causing the magnetic field to collapse firing the plugs. It's the same as points opening.

It's normal

OK. Thanks guys. I don't like that it causes a little backfire, but if it's normal and not hurting anything then I'll stop worrying about it.

More
10 Mar 2013 22:28 #576444 by richrand
Last question about this: Did I not notice this with the stock coils because the wires had resistor caps?

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2013 19:00 #577244 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic small charge emitted when ignition is turned on?
seems to me the coil comes on as soon as you turn on the switch, that is my interpretation of what you are dealing with.

More
17 Mar 2013 00:32 #577309 by steell

donthaveakawman wrote: seems to me the coil comes on as soon as you turn on the switch, that is my interpretation of what you are dealing with.

I don't know whether you are posting this out of ignorance, or if you are just trolling.
I'd appreciate some clarification so I'll know how to respond appropriately.

KD9JUR